GUI Design(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUI Design(s)

Here is my finished design of what the Main basic interface could look like and we can make it look different to accomadate the features we will be using. When the engine gets coded then we need a GUI so thats why I made it.
    -J.B.-
    Attached Files
    Naval Imperia Designer

I think we shouldn't put toolbars/frames/whateveryoucallits on the left or right side of the screen. I think only in the top and bottom of the screen would be best. And we'll have to make it usable for resolutions of 800x600 and up. Some part of the bottom part of the screen can have a different function for each 'unit', 'whatever' is selected. You wouldn't have to show everything at the same time. Maybe the player could modify the GUI him/herself.

Hehe, moddable GUI. I'm not sure, but I don't think it would be hard. Just use some sort of dockable windows. You know, if you wanted to, you could even let the unit-controll-panel float wherever you want. Or maybe remove a window if you don't use it. There will also have to be a chat-panel/screen for multi-player games, something you wouldn't allways want in the screen.

Just an idea.
    Michiel Helvensteijn
    --
    SPDT Member: Helpmate

Comment

Yeah I get what your saying.
      If we have close button on the top then it could close it and in the drop down menu we can have the option of putting them back on. Also The boxes could be moved around like windows and positioned however wanted. I like the Idea.
      -J.B.-
      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

i wouldnt use a close button on the windows...but rather a fuction in options to remove add screens....i agree that the left and right needs to be clear of windows....and i would put the minimap or top left or top right....leave the bottom totally for info about current selection....and the topp for scrolldown menus and minimap....or make the minimap a scroll up/down thiny that if you hover over a bar the map scrolls down.....
        Bunnies!
        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Hmmm ok I'll take that into consideration. I'll try to incorperate it into one nice little interface. Any more suggestions before I redesign the GUI?
          -How about an option to have close buttons.
          -J.B.-
          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

DBTS is right. Close buttons are ugly. Just use a set of checkboxes in the option-screen to turn screens on/off.
            Michiel Helvensteijn
            --

Comment

OK here is the first design it is of The basic design with a hidden mini map and has all places labled.
              -J.B.-
              Attached Files
              Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Here is the second design of the minimap unhidden and not all labled.
                -J.B.-
                Attached Files
                Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Well, these look nice, but I, personally, have a rpoblem with movable windows. IMHO, the panes with information should be static. There should be at most one movable internal frame - minimap. Everything else has to be wired to the background, and possibly removable via checkboxes in the options menu.

The movable windows can be helpful and fun to move around for a little while, but soon they just become annoying (and, BTW, if moving windows inside the game is fun, well... you know, something is wrong with the game). If we make the bars you have to grab to move a window small, it will be a pain to actually move them, and nobody will use the feature. If we make them large, they will look ugly, cluttering the space, and people will accidentally move them in the process of the game, which would be very annoying. You have no idea how easy it is to accidentally move a movable window when you are all inside the game.

Just my $0,02 worth.
                  XBox Live: VovanSim
                  xbox.com (login required)
                  Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                  Spore page

Comment

Hmmm well I think we should have movable windows and an option to have them non-movable. Civ. has movable windows and its never a problem with moving them. I'll wait for more feedback cause I dont want to make another tonight. Untill I'm convinced of doing something and the votes are more. So far its 3 against 1. Untill then its staying as it is.
                    -J.B.-
                    Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

So the questions are:

1.) Should there be Close option?

2.) Should there be Close button?

3.) Should there be movable windows?

4.) Or should the movable windows be optional where you can turn it off or on at your own leisure?

-J.B.-
                      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Yep, these are the questions we need to decide, JB. Though some of them are mutually exclusive. 1 and 2, for instance. and 3 and 4. So, we should answer the questions in this order, I think:

1) Should the interface be absolutely static (i.e. no movable or closable windows), or should we allow the player some degree over the GUI?

2) If the latter, should we allow the player to choose which windows are open, and which are closed?

3) If yes, how should it be done - through options, of through buttons in the interface itself?

4) If we chose the latter option in question 1, should we alow the player to move windows inside the game or not?
                        Spore page

Comment

Also, I spent an hour or so with Paint, and came up with a little GUI layout of my own.

It assumes totally static layout though.
                          Attached Files
                          Spore page

Comment

I think the player should be able to move the windows..or change the entire GUI for that matter.. in the options screen. No close-buttons, drag-bars, they're all annoying. Off course, the windows must look as if they blend in with the background and each other, whatever combination you use. So each player can just make the GUI that's most comfortable for him/her.

BTW: I like the Warcraft 3 GUI. It should, however you modded it, still blend in like that. Of course, not with the same functions (like items), but it should be like that, maybe with that menu button in the top corner, but why not just make a whole menu-bar in the top, like in WC3.
                            Michiel Helvensteijn
                            --

Comment

well i dislike the ide of having eh WC3 interface because we need tile info....but i also dont like to civ/smac aproach vovasim used.....as far as i think we need a totally new GUI....if possible....with an option to remove windows but no to drag them or use X buttons on thw windows......
                              Bunnies!
                              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Working...
                              X