New measures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New measures

As things seem to go rather bad now and I fear that the project is soon at the edge of collapsing, I've decided to act and try to save us from a total disaster.

As for the website and forums, there's no trouble at all as things are just fine. The opening has now been postponed to next week, but the day and times will be set as soon as I get the responses. So nothing to worry about it.

Then we have the administrative issues. I have really no idea what's going on with Blake and where he's now. AFAIK he should be at home, but no confirmed details about that either. I will try to force him to take action, but I really can't promise that he's going to return. As for me, I'm trying to do the best I can, despite it's getting harder now. If Blake is not seen after one month, we need to seriously think over again about what to do.

The work related to graphics has now also suffered a bad hit. Aaglo has confirmed that he's leaving the team now as he's not capable of producing more advanced 3D graphics and he's also lacking time (due to work) to work on the project. I have agreed about that and it's clear now. Frozzy is simply too busy now with his studies and all other activities, so he has to cut down somewhere. He's very sad for this, but nothing can be done. The issue with him has also been settled. Killingjoker has apparently lost his interest too as no response has been received. I.e. we currently have only one person working with graphics. Targon, as you seem to know how the graphics work should be co-ordinated, I set you as the new Graphics Manager and hope that you can try to lead the graphics work. Please let me know what special requirements you want to set for new Graphics Artist reqcruits on SourceForge as I'll announce ASAP on SourceForge that we are looking for people interested about making graphics.

The sound section is still dead as before, because our old Sound Manager disappeared ages ago and there doesn't seem to be any real hurry with this.

As for the coding, we seem to have most coders present, which of course great, compared to the rest of this misery. As Blake isn't now capable of handling this work, I've decided that I either appoint a Senior Code Writer that handles the coding while he's absent or then the code writing "expert" group co-ordinates the work together by discussing how to arrange the work and agree about the details. I hope that you could come up with a solution. I will not look around for more coders now as there's no lack of ones now. I would suggest that Vultur, Kurilka or Vovansim would lead the work for now, but that means you have to remain as active as before.

Writing and documentation is currently aside, except for GOD which won't be the ultimate answer to all questions. So nothing to comment about this now. I've already agreed with DBTS about "some" material for the website.

Helpmates, what would you be capable of doing right now? I know that Ace is at least keen to work, but is anyone into 3D graphics? However there's not much else now, unless you have something to propose.

I'll try to keep things running, but I need effort and iniatives from all coders. If you want to poll something, feel free to do so. I'm open for almost all solutions now as I try to make things flexible for co-ordinating the coding.

Awaiting for better times...

Rasbelin
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Well, it is good that you decided to take some action, Ras. Even when Blake was here and was posting regularly, he never responded to a single one of my questions via PM's, and IMHO a coding leader has to be willing to communicate.

As for the next leader: I am not sure I would be the man for the job, because the amount of free time I have changes radically from day to day, since I am a student also. This week I might have all the time in the world, and next week I might not be able to check the forums once. Therefore, I would propose that we make Vultur the official leader for now, since he's been around the longest and has actually done some coding already! However, I think that communication is very important in a programming project such as this. So, I think it would be better if all of us discuss together how to arrange things, though in the tight situations, I guess the leader's decision would be the way to go. How does that sound?
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

How about caring a little less as to who's the "leader" and a just do what Vultur was longing for in the other thread... come up with a basic design that provides the coders with a starting point. I know I'm an outsider, but nevertheless I don't have a clue as to what kind of game this is supposed to be exactly and it looks like this might be a problem with the active coders as well.

Space or planet? How does it start? What kind of maps do you have? etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Leland
        How about caring a little less as to who's the "leader" and a just do what Vultur was longing for in the other thread... come up with a basic design that provides the coders with a starting point.
        I believe that is why we are waiting for the GOD...
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

However I need to point out that as said, GOD doesn't include that much,
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim

Even when Blake was here and was posting regularly, he never responded to a single one of my questions via PM's, and IMHO a coding leader has to be willing to communicate.
            Don't ask how many of my messages are still awaiting a response.
            As for the next leader: I am not sure I would be the man for the job, because the amount of free time I have changes radically from day to day, since I am a student also. This week I might have all the time in the world, and next week I might not be able to check the forums once.
            Very understandable reasoning.
            Therefore, I would propose that we make Vultur the official leader for now, since he's been around the longest and has actually done some coding already!
            I second your proposal as I'm open to almost any solutions as for the coding. If Vultur accepts it, he's for now on in charge for the coding as Senior Code Writer.
            However, I think that communication is very important in a programming project such as this. So, I think it would be better if all of us discuss together how to arrange things, though in the tight situations, I guess the leader's decision would be the way to go. How does that sound?
            Yes, communication is important and that's why the new Stella Polaris Forums will help it. Also the new SPDT contact information document should make it easier. And yes, the idea has always been that all coders discuss and agree about the issues related to the coding, plus the Coding Manager would lead the work and have the final word. However this hasn't worked with the coding before as Blake hasn't taken the necessary iniatives.

I'll try to wake up Chaos Theory by e-mail. I assume that Kurilka will come forward with his thoughts by tomorrow. As for Blake, I have to take more radical measures soon (i.e. activate other contacts in New Zealand).

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
              I second your proposal as I'm open to almost any solutions as for the coding. If Vultur accepts it, he's for now on in charge for the coding as Senior Code Writer.
              Thanks for your trust in my capabilities, so I'll be honest:
              My experience on graphic coding is not a lot (I know only how to use sprites and TrueType Fonts), so I leave 3D graphic engine development to more able people. However I learn very quickly to use other tools.
              I'm good on hard-core programming, so AI, Diplomacy, General Game Engine are my favourites fields.
              If the coding team accept me as organizer, I'll be very proud.

Only a little note: my University studies are taking me many time so for the next 2-3 weeks I cannot devote a lot of time in coding/learning new programs, but for all other jobs I can found the time.
              From the second week of February I'll be free from studies and I'll have a lot of spare time and I'll use it to contribute actively to the Project.
              Aslo the gods are impotent against men's stupidity --Frederich Shiller
              In my vocabulary the word "Impossible" doesn't exist --Napoleon
              Stella Polaris Development Team -> Senior Code Writer (pro tempore) & Designer

Comment

I will try to take up Graphics again Ras but Last time I tried I didin't get that far cause of studies but after this week is over then I will have more time. I will most likely be on everday but I wont be able to read up on Pov-Ray stuff. I will try. As for the suggestions of work. Well I have no idea at this point in time.
                -J.B.- ~ A.K.A - ace
                Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Vultur,

I've always been confident in you. As for your schedule and studies, it's very understandable that you can't work all the time, but that's good too as it will keep the project going.

Ace,

that sounds good. However you're welcome to do other things too (there's not much now, but maybe later).

Comment

I welcome you Vultur, our new Leader !
                    Hope we will do great work together!

Comment

And by the way Ras - maybe it will be usefull to post on sourceforge an open position for 3D graphics developer? Or some type of consultant, because I don't see anyone from us who really strong in this field, or am I wrong?

Comment

Yes, I actually said that I will post an open position on SourceForge. I'm only waiting for Targon to post what criterias he would set for any new graphics people.

Comment

Since quite a lot of discussion that is happening here right now are basically repeats of things that have been discussed before on the FreeAC forums, I would like that ask that before any definite decisions are made - especially on game play things - we either wait for the GOD to be completed, or get (an extract from) the old FreeAC forums database online so that we can refer to those for older decisions.

Comment

GOD will be available on the same day as the forums open. As for the database, it's not available as Closey is away and I'm not sure if he has stored it.

Comment

Last time I checked Closey was in charge of Internet administration. What is he now? I have no Idea how to contact him since he doesn't have a sn and he hardly talks on apoly. I'm not sure if he ever has.
                              -J.B.-
                              Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Working...
                              X