Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programming...

Blake, where are you?
    And there were for a long time no activity in the programming area of StP...
    Is it planned t code anything at all?
    Sorry for the intonation, but may be it's time to do something? It's getting boring just to talk at this forum...

Sorry for thrusting into coders thread, but I'm 1000% agreed . Any graphics is completely useles without engine rendering it, and this engine is pointless toy without game logic. Current StP "development" is too biased to gameplay discussion, without any game at all.
    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
    Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

Kulika, I partially agree with you: what we need really is to have a complete idea of what we want to do.
      I'm not coding for the moment because there isn't a Precise Design.
      Just to do an example: the game must be planet-oriented (space travel is only a feature), like all Civ-games or space-oriented (planets are considered bases) like Trade War / Black Nova Traders / Galactic Civilization... or an hybrid?
      I suggest to post one (or more) poll to take basilar decision on final result, then add other good ideas later
      Aslo the gods are impotent against men's stupidity --Frederich Shiller
      In my vocabulary the word "Impossible" doesn't exist --Napoleon
      Stella Polaris Development Team -> Senior Code Writer (pro tempore) & Designer

Comment

me support vultur idea
        Bunnies!
        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

I second the support with Vultur.
          -J.B.-
          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

I concur. Just saying "hey, multiple planets / flagships / black holes is a neat idea, let's do it" isn't enough. You should have something (or maybe you do? You've got that GOD thing of yours, right?) written down instead of ideas scattered here and there in forum threads. Something for the coders to start chewing on.

Comment

maybe wait until the new site is done GOD will be released then
              Bunnies!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR

Comment

Originally posted by Vultur
                Kulika, I partially agree with you: what we need really is to have a complete idea of what we want to do.
                I'm not coding for the moment because there isn't a Precise Design.
                Just to do an example: the game must be planet-oriented (space travel is only a feature), like all Civ-games or space-oriented (planets are considered bases) like Trade War / Black Nova Traders / Galactic Civilization... or an hybrid?
                I suggest to post one (or more) poll to take basilar decision on final result, then add other good ideas later
                Hi Vultur and the rest of the StP team. I am going to butt in here, in a well-intentioned and hopefully helpful way. When I first glanced at this thread I first saw Vultur's comment above about needing a Precise Design. before coding.

I was about to say something like "Don't wait for the perfect design, coding time is one of your project's most precious resources, and needs to be used as fully as possible". But then I saw he wasn't waiting for all the small details, but rather a definition of what, in Very broad terms, StP will be! Whether StP is similar to SMAC or MOO, or some clever hybrid must be made and locked in for the project to really move forward.

I strongly encourage Immediate development of such a spec to allow your coders to get to Work. Design discussions can go on forever, but it's critical to close off discussion at some point or very little concrete can ever get done. I have fallen prey to this problem once during Clash of Civs development also , so I know what I'm talking about. I personally like desgining a lot more than programming, so its easy for me to be seduced by the Design side of the Force. . . But you can't design a great game in the abstract, at least the odds are fantastically against it. The design needs to move forward a certain amount, and then be Playtested. Otherwise you can find that a part of the core design that you have been polishing is no good, and all that extra effort has been wasted.

Again, I'm just trying to be helpful , and push things in the direction I feel that they Must go if the project isn't to implode as so many do.

If there is a much better spec than I got the impression there is from this thread, and your coders aren't aware of it (seems hard to believe ) then I appologize for butting in.
                Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

well there is GOD but that hasnt been published yet but maybe some polls about what we excactly want wouldnt heard.....Blake please clarify...? (not that it is in my direct interest i cant code if my life depended on it :S)
                  Bunnies!

Comment

I see my popularity growth between StP members, good
                    I was about to say something like "Don't wait for the perfect design, coding time is one of your project's most precious resources, and needs to be used as fully as possible".
                    What I desire is not a perfect Design (nothing can be perfect... ) is simple a general idea on what we are looking for...
                    I've coded an isometric map engine (ok, the graphic is hugly and the code is not perfect...) with 3 month of C++ programming experience, so I know what mean do-before-to-know.
                    So, let's do this poll!!!

--Vultur, loyal fellow of the Design Side of the Force
                    Aslo the gods are impotent against men's stupidity --Frederich Shiller
                    In my vocabulary the word "Impossible" doesn't exist --Napoleon
                    Stella Polaris Development Team -> Senior Code Writer (pro tempore) & Designer

Comment

Completely agree with you Vultur.

I asked for programming tasks about a month ago, and since them I haven't even seen any of these tasks. But of course you're right. We should have a general idea of what the game should be first.

Let's do this then. Go on with poll

Comment

Well, I officially declare that I have no idea why no code has yet been written or why Blake hasn't come up with anything. I have told him several times to get things started, but for unknown reasons, nothing seems to have happened. I have no more information than the rest of you and I can assure you that the situation is very, very confusing. If things don't change, I once again need to appoint someone else to take Blake's position and lead temporarily the coding work. If Carbaher, Vultur or Kurilka want to take the task and co-ordinate the coding for now as Senior Code Writer, feel free to propose that as I have no clue about Blake's whereabouts and his real interest in the project now.

In general, what do you want to poll about?

Mark,

thanks for the input! I'm affraid that the current situation is pretty much to blame Blake for as he's supposed to lead the project and especially the coding process. I hope I can get something out of him, but he's not exactly the most talkative person I know, although he's great in other ways. Anyway, back to business.
                        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                          thanks for the input!
                          Thanks Raspbelin, glad my comments were taken in the spirit given. And I'm always happy to provide a needed kick in the pants Good luck on resolving the situation. As you say, if the current hirearchy isn't working for the project you should definitely design a more flexible alternative.

BTW if you're interested please come by the Clash forum and give some feedback on our Diplomacy model discussions. It is being coded now, and we haven't gotten many comments. The link is at the bottom of my sig. Comments at any level are useful, and you don't need to read the whole doc to contribute!

Best Of Luck in getting the StP programming going!

Cya,

Mark
                          Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                          Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Poll it!

Comment

Ok We discussed the Diplomacy design on FreeAc but I doubt the core.
                              If and whenever Blake shows up I'll Im him. I have seen him online but I hardly talk to him as the conversation doesn't get that far. I will ask him to somehow bring up those threads of the early times cause I think he still has them.

BTW Thanks Mark for the help. We really Appreciate a person of your statue helping us.
                              -J.B.-
                              Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Working...
                              X