No announcement yet.

FTl or Stargates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its Dr. Kaku and can you elaborate on what PR stands for?
    Also "His doctorate-level textbooks are required reading at top physics labs worldwide."
    -J.B.-
    -BTW be a skeptic but I choose to open my mind.
    Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Leland
      UFO properties? Care to elaborate?

IMHO, introducing UFOs, Borgs and other sci-fi terms into article means major mind bias to public brainwashing. Of course, "ordinary people" are 110% sure that hyperdrive exists (or may exist) simply because they saw it in action in sci-fi series. So while normal scientists say "shut up and work hard on rocket engines, we can't send human even on Mars" mr Kaku's writings are very "interesting". It's simple to "ruin" today science if you don't care about any proofs other than StarTrek slogans.
      And, you see, normal science books rarely are sold with big discounts.
      If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
      Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Buloch
        Its Dr. Kaku and can you elaborate on what PR stands for?
        Also "His doctorate-level textbooks are required reading at top physics labs worldwide."
        There are books and Books. Required reading may include anything, due to various reasons. Lab professors usualy try to give a broad range of meanings, as it teaches "open mindness" and how to discriminate grain from chaff.
        -J.B.-
        -BTW be a skeptic but I choose to open my mind.
        It's really good, I'm proud for you , but General Relativity was proven as precise as 10^-15 (now possible even more). Of course, there is always a place for more general theory, encompassing existing ones, but this theory must include previous theories as limited cases, like Relativity includes Newtonian physics for c->infinity. We already know there GR fails: quantum effects for the gravity. But, you see, that means so big energy, we can't attain such particle energy even for solar system - scale accelerators. This energy doesn't exists even for exploding supernovas and other cataclysmic events. Your favorite 10 dimentions must be "twisted" so they form some hypertube with radius ~planc length, we also can't obtain enough precision (==energy) to locate particle disturbation for such a scale. Sadly, but things looks like mr. Einstain was right and mr. Kaku simply needs to sell his books.
        If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.

Comment

targon - that's just the explanation. I actually got the idea from this "urban legend" type thing about some Philadelphia project during WWII. The navy supposedly stuck two electromagnetic generators which pulsed at an offset on a ship, at opposite sides, to try and "cloak" it. According to the legend-thingy, the ship "teleported" and then almost instantly teleported back. This was the basis for the "chronosphere" in Red Alert.

Comment

Yeah I heard of that and they were suppost to of teleported into a different time and they had some wittnesses. I forgot most of the story though. I heard of it on "Encounters with the Unexplained".
            -J.B.-
            Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

In defense of mr. Kaku I'd like to say that the book called "Hyperspace" does not deal with hyperspace travel at all. In fact, I can't remember any mention of Star Trek or the Borg or anythign like that... I think there was something about black holes. It was rather an interesting read into the weirdness of modern physics. It seems that he just talks about various propulsion methods in that one article because, surprise surprise, it's the topic of the article. UFO's... okay, I grant you that. But I'd say that this one example is by far not representative of Kaku's work in general as far as I know.

Comment

Yes Leland is exactly right. The articles are nothing like the books.
                -J.B.-
                Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

I still think that the word "Hyperspace" (originaly algebra term) is now spoiled by sci-fi and should't be used for any serious books. It's also hmm... uncommon to compare nowdays scientists, especialy author himself, with grand men of the past.
                  Concerning "chronoshifts", I know couple dozen people constantly messing with electromagnetic pulses of magnitudes hardly imaginable for 194x-ish science but they all are still in this space/time continuum (besides the single person prefered to live in J.R.R.T. world)

Comment

targon - I know it is impossible; I'm just saying it's a good explanation.

Comment

Of course, I know game will need some completely unrealistic devices; I simply reveal their weak spots, so writers may use some better (less questionable, that is) explanation.

Comment

Working...
                      X