worlds thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worlds thread

well if we are going to have more then one planet maybe we need some different kind of world. if you look quickly at fychics we need worlds around the same size as good old earth for the rest we can come up with some techs to help us....but i dont believe we will be ready to create extra or less gravity on a planet....so what kind of world do we have?
    well 2 thinks come up in my mind

a green world ( similiar to earth ) and a not green world. they green world would have h2o and o2and an atmosfeer (not the right english word) and native flora and fauna. you can divide green worlds into:

wet world:
    seas and oceans between islands and continents

not wet world:
    one big continent with rivers and lakes but no seas what so ever

not green world will be barren might have H20 but is probably wont have an atmosfeer and so no O2 in the air. no atmosfeer would mean no pressure so wandering outside with out protective gear will be impossible. maybe some small flora and fauna in undergroundlakes or other closed off places. you can divide not green world into:

barren world:
    no minerals or other rescources can be found

not-so-barren world:
    some minerals and other rescources can be found

miningheaven world:
    lots of minerals and other rescources can be found

this is what i can think of....maybe there are more...so please post down here
    Bunnies!
    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Here are some suggestions for the names:

Ocean World - Green Wet
    Temperate World - Green Inbetween Wet and Not Wet
    Forest World - Green Not Wet

Regarding the Not Green worlds, I don't think their names should be done by amount of minerals. An airless moon could have lots or no minerals.

Comment

Forest world hmmm a better name would be:

"Continental World"
      I think Continental world because it would not just contain forests but land also.

And Ocean world:

"Oceanic World" or "Aquatic world"
      I think it should be aquatic world because it would not only contain oceans it would also contain freshwater.

Temperate is good.

-J.B.-
      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

skywalker the names which i came up with arent important but the idea is...i dont think you will land on a airless barren with no minerals planet just for fun
        Bunnies!
        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR

Comment

Yes the Idea is good but we need to make a good name too, do we not? Are the names I suggested good enough? They sound more to the point and more accurate.
          -J.B.-
          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

ok by me but i myself was thinking of the forest planet of endor (starwars VI) when i thought of green not wet.....but you are right that it would have open plains ans stuff so continental would be better
            Bunnies!

Comment

DBTS - even if it doesn't have resources, such a planet might serve as a useful outpost.

I said "Forest World" because I thought something like "Continental World" would sound awkward.

Comment

skywalker i only can think of it as usefull for military outposts. but i catogrized them this way. because not green world will not have nutrients so what is lefts is minerals and enegry....and i believe in the future enegry will not be a problem
                Bunnies!

Comment

Ok since Continental is good what about Aquatic world?
                  -J.B.-
                  Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

I'm an artist (here), not a geologist, but I know that exact terrain/ocean balance is vital for things like:
                    1) Atmosphere composition
                    2) Temperature
                    3) Terrain formation

You see, hot magma at Earth's rifts may both give out and take back various substances, most notable water, oxygen and carbon dioxide. So "most rifts are covered by water" and "most rifts are in atmosphere" are dramaticaly different in sense of planetary evolution.
                    I also think that water (at least, hydrogen and oxygen, it's enough) must be unavoidable parts of any "M-class" planet, so planet without oceans at all is very strange. Only cataclysmic events (like 2H20 = 2H2 ^ + O2 heat dissociation for Venus or frozen hydrolithosphere of Mars) may do something odd with all these water.
                    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
                    Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

But don't you think that the probability of earth-like planet is somewhat small?
                      I mean that there are a lot of such "extreme conditions" planets and not so many "normal" (from our point of view) planets.
                      The next point is that 2nd type of planets maybe is better for use and for life.

Comment

targon if you are referring to continental worlds....i ofcourse has water but now where it says that oceans are needed for life to exist on a planet...
                        Bunnies!

Comment

As far as we know, without water there is no life. Unless the planet is terraformed by an outside force such as Humans. In the normal natural way there has to be water then evolution takes place.
                          -J.B.-
                          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

yes to water but no to the need of OCEANS
                            Bunnies!

Comment

Yes Oceans aren't exactly needed. There is life in a pond is there not? Or in a puddle there is life. Microscopic mostly but its still considered life. Actually some microscopic life can exist in an enviroment without water or substance. Such as space. U.S. brought back some equipment from the lunar surface and found bacteria living inside it. So therefore it is possible to live without water. But to have life other than bacteria it is pretty clear that water is needed. Oceans aren't paticulary needed. Its only water with sea salt. Its not much different than a pond or a lake or etc. So I agree with DBTS.
                              -J.B.-
                              Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Working...
                              X