The SPDT Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SPDT Story

Since I have not seen any or no thread recently about the story of Stella Polaris, I took the liberty of creating this thread for the writers of SPDT...

This thread will be used to discuss the various Ideas of the story and which one is going to be used. I prefer Blake or Rasbey to answer this question:

Q: Is there any official background story? Such as the "exodus" by, Gateway103?

Once we get that question cleared up we can begin work on the story if needed.

Thankyou,
    Jeremy Buloch
    Naval Imperia Designer

Well, as said many times before, GW will rework a new background story based on the old The Exodus and the feedback and ideas he received. He recently said that he's going to work on it as he gets a real buzz, but overall it's in good hands now.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Ok thanks Rasbey. Now this information is officially announced. I never heard it since FreeAc site. So I just wanted the people that are discussing the story to know this. Thanks
      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

For those of you who weren't at the old FreeAC Forum, "The Exodus" (a place-holder title) was a piece of draft writing I created on the background events that transpired prior to humanity's voyage to alien planets. Lately, I have little time, and even scarcer creative time. Nonetheless, to assist others in developing the game, as well as me with the story, I'll post a few things in the next little while (school work permits).

Note that in the original draft (for those who read it), while humans were sent to different star systems, the story was structured to place more emphasis on a single planet (e.g. The Planet). However, as you may be aware, we are thinking of extending the game to a galactic theme, i.e. not just one planet, but numerous star systems. As such, I am re-writing parts of the story, to incorporate this key change, as well as other ideas/revision I have thought of hence.

The post(s) to follow will not be of a narrative story, however, but rather a semi-timeline like piece, intend to cover and describe the major events that had precipitate the situations the players may encounter in the beginning of the game, as told from humanity's perspectives.

My first goal is to create and fit this timeline to the pre-game story. This will be akin to something that a gamer may read from the game manual, where general background information are conveyed, but the mysteries and secrets of the game universe, in terms of story plot, are omitted to be discovered by players.

My second goal is to create an actual narrative serie (or series ), with the timeline as the background. This part will consist of short novel(s) written to tell some hopefully interesting/intriguing stories. Tentatively, I have few story ideas in mind, namely:

1a) the coming of the Drazans and Tal'Shians.
        1b) the trip through the void, to be ended with an interesting plot developement that would take the story outside the events told in the timeline
        1c) what may awaits the main characters (not gonna to spoil the idea yet, but this part will reveal things about the aliens and other interesting stuff)

2a) the development of humans on newly settled worlds, their struggle with themselves and others (hint hint)
        2b) as the continution of 2a, this part would tell the story of how humans (and other aliens) regains basic space-flight capability (i.e. not interstellar) , and the turmoils and adventures that await them
        2c) to continue from 2b, this part deals with humanity's emergence to the galactic scene, what they did, and what consequences those actions may have (you may even find traces of first series here, and some surprises)

3) Set after the first and second series, this serie would deal with the future, and hopefully bring a good closure (or not ) to the entire story. This part would talk about things set in the time after the game have started, so it'll mostly not be related to the game directly, but rather of my own imaginations.

Of the 3 series, the second one will mostly be tied in with the timeline that I'll post in a while, since it is a timeline told from human perspective (maybe I'll post parts of them today if I have time later). Anyway, the end of the 2nd series will roughly coincide with the end of the timeline, and the beginning of the game. The first serie is somewhat related in the beginning, but shortly takes on a whole new different life near the middle/end of 1b. As for the third one, well, I already talked about it above.

I am trying not to give too much information/spoiler here and in the timeline, either because they are not fully developed ideas yet, or I want the players to actually discover some mysteries and secrets of the game universe (especially those regarding the Tal'Shians, the Drazans, and so on), or both. So bear with me if I decide not to answer some particular questions you may have now or later (I will politely say/post that I don't want to answer them though.) Nonetheless, please do give feedbacks and ask for clarifications if needed.

Ok, enough talk already, I'll just end this post with a few more remarks. One, I'm not necessary going to write the series in that order, those are just ideas. Second, I will likely make use of some form(s) of FTL travels, this is primarily for the story as well as to accomodate the multiple-systems plan. I have not decide on which forms of FTL, but note that it will likely not be instantaneously (most of them anyway...), and if you want to discuss the realism of FTL travel, do so in the other threads on Engine/Propulsion please.

And lastly, while the timeline would be crucial to the game, the novel series aren't, so don't expect much updates once the timeline is posted, other than revision of the timeline. And note that what I will post later will be draft version, so bear with grammatical mistakes, typos, and other nuisances. Yet do post or PM me with constructive feedbacks/suggestions. Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation.

-Gateway103
        Last edited by Gateway103; January 6, 2003, 23:27.

Comment

Thanks Gateway

I Think the stuff is very good. And good that your not going to give out too much of the info. to spoil the story. Keep it up and hope you have time.
          -J.B.-
          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Well, of course we will be waiting with patience as we know how good all your writings so far have been. I can't add anything to your post as it makes things clear, which is of course great as we have been waiting more some thoughts. Hopefully we could see something around New Year 2004.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Ok, to get on with it

Timeline (Part 1)

21st Century

In the beginning of the twenty-first century, the global economy was slowly recovering from a mild recession occurred at the end of the previous century. However, tensions also grew steadily between certain nations, primarily between the sole superpower the United States of America, and those of Middle East. Eventually, war broke up. And just as swiftly as it had begun, the war ended shortly after with the powerful USA crushing its small opponent. The world soon turned their attentions to other matters once more, life returned to normal, and the USA continued to enjoy its supremacy.

Over the years, the People's Republic of China dominated global trade as one of the major economic powers. With increasing capita flow and trade, this Asian society had slowly becoming more capitalistic as the gap between the rich and the poor steadily widens. Rather than ignoring the wind of change, the communism government of China adopted a new plan to gradually transform the nation to one that would encompass both capitalistic and communistic ideas, reaping the benefit of the two worlds. The new doctrine was called the "Middlism", in honour of the Chinese philosophy of pursuing the "Middle Road." And so by the mid 50's the nation of Middlist China, empowered by its massive population and abundance of natural resources, evolved into a superpower on par with the unchallenged USA.

Also in Asia, Japan, the dominant economic power of Asia of early twenty-first century, sandwiched between the superpower of the USA and Middlist China, strived to maintain its influence. They failed, however, for while they had pioneered many technological researches, they lack the large quantity of resources required to effectively turn the knowledge into viable products. By the early 60's, Japan had already lost most of its competitiveness, and would soon became a minor player in the global economy had not the Pacific Trade Alliance formed.

The Pacific Trade Alliance was an idea put forth by the Canadians. The basic idea was to pool together the resources of various Pacific nations, such as Japan, New Zealand, Canada, and the former Soviet Union. As a combined economic entity, the Alliance had more than sufficient natural and technological resources to compete in the world market. At the end of the twenty-first century, the Alliance was economically a powerful force to be reckoned with.

Meanwhile, the European nations, with the help of many attempts, such as the introduction of Euro currency, to unify the continent, had gradually coalesced into a single strong political entity over a generation. While still not on the same level in terms of global power as the USA and Middlist China, the Euro-Commonwealth was closing behind.

Elsewhere, however, things were not as prosperous. The over-populated nation of India was stricken with numerous droughts and famine. Even with international relief programs, this burdened country could withstand no more. Finally in the year 2079, riots and chaos ensued on a massive scale, cities were burned and countless innocents were slaughtered or starved. Only with heroic effort did international interventions brought calm to this troubled land in thirteen-month time, when the nation was a nation no more, but a land shattered and ruined.

In South America and Africa, although disasters that struck down India were not plaguing these lands, neither did lady luck favoured them. Approaching the end of the twenty-first centuries, however, these lands were pretty much as they once were in terms of global influence. Nonetheless, these nations had had time to develop their economy, and if it were not for their internal conflicts, together they would have promising potentials.

The last two decades of the twenty-first century saw the compassion of humanity, as the major powers pour their resources to rebuild the broken lands of India. These two decades also saw many aspiring breakthroughs. Medical research lengthened the average human lifespan another fifteen years, bio-molecular computer accelerated information flow and computing power a thousand-fold, and genetic engineered microbes for cleaning radioactive waste allowed clean nuclear energy. These twenty years also saw human follies, despite human compassion and ingenuity. The growing influence of Middlist China was felt by the American public, whose responding sentiments were distrust, paranoia, and contempt. Tensions grew between the two superpowers, while the other players watched from afar or attempted to mediate. Another ominous cloud loomed over the horizon, and the wind of change begun blowing again.

-Gateway103

Comment

The first paragraph seems VERY doubtfull...

Comment

The first paragraph seems VERY doubtfull...
                  Which part of it? The USA defeating its enemy in military compaign? The world slowly recovering from a mild recession? Or the "life returned to normal" part?

To tell you the truth, I didn't feel comfortable adding this bit in the first place. I did not want to play with current political situations, as they are subject to change rather soon, and would easily invalidate anything I wrote on it.

I later decided, however, against my better judgement, to write it so I can tie up a few loose ends. Nevertheless, plese tell me why this seems unreasonable or "VERY doubtful", and I'll see what I can do (an easy way is some handwaving, skip-the-part, method).

Do keep in mind this is a draft, and as such are not set in stones yet, so please keep feedbacks coming.

-Gateay103

Comment

I don't know about Kurilka, but for me, there are two sentences in the first paragraph that are kind of doubtful.

"the war ended shortly after with the powerful USA crushing its small opponent."

However much my national pride might cry against this statement, it is true that the US is the sole superpower left nowadays. But still, it seems unlikely that such a war would end quickly. Just remember the Soviet Union in Afganistan. That war should have ended quickly, too. There will be no victory without either:

1. Engagement of land troops (in which case the war will stretch into numerous months, if not years)

2. the use of weapons of mass destruction, in which case, europe will view america as the next saddam, in the wrost case, and just keep away in the best case.

Either way, the statement that "the USA continued to enjoy its supremacy" and that "life returned to normal" is doubtful, because the tensions with the muslim world will become even worse, and the relations between USA and Europe will get colder.
                    XBox Live: VovanSim
                    xbox.com (login required)
                    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                    Spore page

Comment

As for the story in general, it is very well written, and I like it quite a bit.
                      XBox Live: VovanSim
                      xbox.com (login required)
                      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                      Spore page

Comment

It IS true that the US (with britain) would crush the middle eat, but alone, it is doubtful. The US has been fighting Iraq for 12 years now, and still haven't kicked Hussain from power. I know this is 2050, but still... national pride would help a lot. It wouldn;t be over in 1 week say.

The story is great to read read though

Comment

We, the US have been fighting with Iraq, thats true. Yet it hasn't been War. It has been political fighting. War is Physical, is it not? So that couldn't be used to measure anything. If we were at war with Iraq then we would be able to crush them. We almost did yet made a grave mistake and left Saddam alone. We backed down. Now he is in power and we might get into another war.
                          With massive casualties.

I really Like the story Gateway, I'm not suprised though, your writings have been really good.
                          They are sort of right though about the war. We would be able to crush the middle east quickly yet it would take approx. 6 months to get all the troops mobilized and attacking. Most of the air raids would have finished them off quick but they hide in mountainous terrain so therefore it would take time to assault them with troops.
                          I would say they would be almost completely crushed at about 9 months. Saddam however hides behind childeren using them as body guards so therefore he might last longer than previously stated. Perhaps a year? So it would last long. I dont thing longer than a year and a half. Unless Iraq has some capabilities that we are un~aware of.

-Just some feedback from an American.
                          -J.B.-
                          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

I don't really see why the story should be 100% realistic in relation to current political situation... the background story could start in, say, 2050 or simply "late 21st century" or something like that, and pick up from there. The exact political composition of the world is only important when writing the backgrounds for premade factions (if there are any) and their ideologies. Besides, the colonists will rewrite earth history anyway to suit their propaganda purposes, yes?

Comment

Ok, when I said "shortly", I was talking in a century scale. And as such shortly could be a few months to a few years. I was thinking of 10~16 months when I wrote it, guess I should have spelled it out specifically. Sorry.

Concerning whether US can defeat Iraq or other Middle East nations alone, I tend to think it is possible. I did so taking into account US' true power is in its massive economic and industrial potential, which are factors that true influence military compaign success in the long run. Nevertheless, if it suits, I can always use the US invoking the United Nations to sanction its opponenet, and collaborated with other nations to defeat the enemy (perhaps the likely scenario in real life, but anyway)

I must say that the timeline is supposedly told from a point of view of future historians around the late 2200's perhaps. And as such, details tend to be omitted. Nonetheless, I didn't make this clear in the first place. Sorry

To Vovanism, thanks for reminding me about the Muslim tension aspect. I'll perhaps add it in, as it could come in handy in the next century (hint hint)

To Leland, you are of course correct. The original draft I wrote started the story at around mid/late 2200's paying no heed to what may had occured before. However, this time I am trying to create the "this may be what the (near) future be like" feeling among the readers, and as such I was endeavouring to secure some connections. Yet if ultimately proven unsuccessful, there is always the option

Anyway, I'll post a revision to that first paragraph sometime soon (hopefully today, before school work catchs up)

-Gateway103

Comment

Working...
                              X