Other Game Influences..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Game Influences..

Now that we got some discussions going on, what similarities do you see with other games, obviously there is SMAC, but off course, what this thread is really about Emperor of the Fading Suns

The current idea for the game leans towards multiple planets, where each planet, unlike in MOO, has a civ-like map, now the only other game i've seen that in, is EOFS.
    Now i'm curious if anyone else have played the game, or know about other lesser known games, which look like StP.
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

I have played EFS

Personally, the idea wasn't too bad, although the micromanagement of EFS is rather tedious, but hopefully with good governor design, that'll be take care of.

From hearing Blake's idea on multiple worlds, I can't help but thinking this is similar to MOO3. MOO3 obviously don't have a civ-like map for each planet, however, but each planet has a number of Regions, and each Region can be colonized (even by mixed species). Each Region will likely to have bonus in some area or the other, e.g. a rugged terrain one may have better mining production potential, etc., which encourages specialization, rather than the bland built-everything approach that civ-like games tend to sponsor.

MOO3 don't have flagships, and personally I am skeptical about flagships. Nonetheless, I'll post some ideas about flagships, or variant ideas on that, in the appropriate thread later, hopefully.

But for a sneak peak, my preliminary idea is that except for regicide mode (if such mode exist), there can exist administration ships, that allows player to exert more control/influence on the planets in which they are orbiting. Most of time, you'll simply set development plan for the planet governors (more on that later). But in order to set very specific order (more on this later), you must have one of these Admin Ships nearby (the range of influence may be improved with tech such as sensor, communication, propulsion, etc.)

These Admin ships also have other uses, for example, you can use them to enhance coordination of fleet in combat (give some bonus in attack/defense/or relevant aspects). Or, you can also send one of them to that border world which is at the onset of a rebellion, hopefully with the presence of the Admin Ship (and ossibly a fleet) you can quell the rebellion. Or, you can send one of them on exploration, hoping to find some alien artifacts or contact other factions.

These administration ships can be destroyed. rebuilt, upgraded. And each faction isn't limited to just one, but rather the number should be depend on faction size (primary factor being number of planets or systems owned, and perhaps number of leaders [leaders bring an interesting idea, in that they may be captured/killed along with the Admin Ships]). The loss of one of these administration ship will cause moral damage across the empire, and perhaps even incite rebellious thoughts. You may also loss a valuable leader, as he/she may be tortured to reveal vital informations, or even join other factions.

Anyway, that's it for now, stay tune for a more coherent and hopefully more encompassing post about Flagships later.

-Gateway103

Comment

i havent played it but game that have something similiar are:

space general (get it at underdogs)
      imperia Galatica II (buy it :P)

and sorry to Gateway havent read you post yet
      Bunnies!
      Welcome to the DBTSverse!
      God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
      'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Two more similar (but old) games:
        Galaxy (old-fashion _text_ strategy)
        Ascendency (every world has its own map + some orbital "slots"; map size depends on world size; every map cell may be "good" for one activity: production, research, pop breeding etc)
        BTW, IG2 is definitely good game, while its ground combat is't as good designed (Mega Tank + ion beats anything, but there are some dirty tricks against AI like laser bunkers surrounded by parks etc.)
        If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
        Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

Working...
        X