Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question...

Hi!
    I'm just one day here and i have a couple of questions (May be rasbey is the person to answer):
    1. Is there any activity except game copcept discussion, website development and map builder (by Vultur)? I mean something where i could really take part as a developer?
    2. What about software technologies wich would be used? I mean 3D engine, AI, network etc.
    May be the reason of these questions is that i'm more developer than TBS game fan (may be a little bit HoMM, but that's a different story...)

1. I know Blake has started work on the engine, and that more work on it is apparently starting soon.

2. I don't know how much this answers your question, but SDL will play a large part in development if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I'm actually interested in 2 myself also.

Raaa-aaass!!!
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

And the toughest one (i think):
        3. Is there some kind of project plan?

Comment

Things looks like there is't any 3D engine, old good sprites...
          If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
          Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

Nice to see you around here, Kurilka.

1. Is there any activity except game copcept discussion, website development and map builder (by Vultur)? I mean something where i could really take part as a developer?

Yes, there's the development of the Alpha 1 version of the StP client and the work related to the server program, if we're talking about the coding work. As Blake is now back, he'll be able to give you instructions and you can discuss about the details with him.

2. What about software technologies wich would be used? I mean 3D engine, AI, network etc.

Well, Blake will get back to that soon, I hope. Regarding the graphics, I can already confirm that it looks like a 3D engine is going to be used, but I leave that to Blake too. Regarding the network playing, I could add that it's pretty much a part of the server that generates the turns and communicates with all the clients and sends them the information (if you know how Freeciv works, then you know how it works) over LAN, Internet or to the local StP slint on the same PC (singleplayer or hotseat). Or it saves it so that the user can send it by e-mail for PBEM games.

3. Is there some kind of project plan?

There's no official schedule set as any necessary schedules are setup for certain milestones. Currently the schedule is to get the website and bulletin boards running within a few weeks before Christmas, plus to get the work with the first alpha version of the StP client, Alpha 1, under work. As that's done, the new schedule will most likely go as far as the release and testing of Alpha 1. Regarding other planning of the game, it's solemly done on this bulletin board and Stella Polaris Forums. However there's a design document called game outlook document available for the use of the SPDT members (it's updated as new concepts are added or things change), but the first version hasn't yet been released. It should make things somewhat easier for you.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

There can be a 3D engine, what are you familliar with?

Comment

Truly to say that's not my strongest area , just tried a little OpenGL, Direct3D (but that's too platform-dependent), CrystalSpace and just downloaded OGRE(may be take a look this evening if there will be some time for it).
                But i'm not sure if we need full-featured 3D egine with all that stuff for TBS, am i wrong?
                As targon said "old good sprites"...

Comment

Well, maybe won't need it for full scale 3D graphics, but improving the general outlook of the graphics could be one good reason.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

But how do you see sprite and 3D graphics combined?

Comment

Kurilka -

Use Copy -> Paste....

[edit]: this is a joke... and a poor one too.
                      Last edited by aaglo; December 3, 2002, 09:21.
                      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

2 aaglo:
                        Sorry?

Comment

About combining sprites and 3d, there was a demo for a game called STATIC (they stopped working on it for now), it's an RPG, but here's a screenshot:
                          Static games are an important concept in game theory, and many real-world situations can be modeled as static games.

Now IIRC, the map was 2d pre-rendered, but the characters were all 3d realtime rendered. Something similar could be done for StP, where the units are all 3d realtime, and the map/bases etc. are sprites.
                          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Yes, seems quite logical, but:
                            1. What about cities?
                            2. Do we really need "3d realtime units"? Will they be so large on the map? Of course the quality will be good (if the models will be good), but what about efficiency?
                            3. Will it be possible to zoom/rotate map? (i mean to artitrary angle and magnification)

Comment

And if we use 3D, then will we use OpenGL? And maybe SDL, GLUT, GLFW or GLT on top of it?

Comment

Working...
                              X