Graphics chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why hand-made?
    There is something called Terraform lurking around. When I tried to emloy it, I recieved lot of obscene gestures from PovRay commenting intellect of include file creator etc. But possible I simple have't tried hard enough? Terragen's heightfields alone are beautiful, with auto-generation of erosion, flow, rivers and much more stuff. Try in.
    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
    Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

Posted by Aaglo...
      Hold your horses, targon. We ain't in a hurry. We don't even have our boards up yet (well, actually we did have, but they were shut down some three months ago).

Yes, I am the graphics manager... But that's only, because earlier I was the only enlisted graphic artist in the old forums. So the title was just passed to me. I didn't ask for it.

And as I have a job (I'm not a student nor unemployed), I have some responsibility towards my employer. And I don't have internet at my home, so most likely I'm not online during weekends.

As a conclusion:
      At this time you are quite free to design almost whatever units you want. Well, actually whatever units you want. I emphasize; nothing is decided so far.
      Sorry, I was re-organising the threads.
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

OK, here are some sprites of the above chopper. They are 95% complete, still need to remove ugly messy periodical camo. Orho, 8 views, PNG 320x200 with alpha, some motion blur for blades.
        Attached Files
        If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.

Comment

New unit: light bomber

This kind may seems to be not especialy deadly, but, in fact, this fast and maneuvreble craft is't thing to safely ignore even for much larger ground units. This guy may sneak into enemy territory, realease its payload and safely escape. Fun against "soft" targets, esp. infantry. This craft is designed specialy for reasonable high speed at low altitudes it is't espacialy good "climber", but it surely can run away from any hunter chopper and can hide form more fast interceptors. SAMs and, even more, AAMs both have hard time catching low targets.
          Attached Files

Comment

New unit: "Perfect Lie" class stealth bomber

In background: "MANA PRIME: Concentration", loud

This unit was specialy designed for cheating even most advanced air control systems, and most targeting computers simply can't aquire its position. Big, ugly, fast and lethal, this craft is truly "city killer" with its heavy fussion bombs. Its stealth nano-plating "thinking armour" is way too expensive, but this unit definitely deserves it.
            Attached Files

Comment

BTW, another one picture of last unit

No, aaglo, this explosion is't Paintbrush
              Attached Files

Comment

Cool, but how it will look in the game?
                As i understand we will get something like SMAC and Civ3 where units are considerably small...

Comment

Nobody ever saw this sacred game engine. AFAIK, developers are currently unsertain whatever they must employ sprite or true 3D graphics. BTW, "cool" pictures may be useful in unit statistics, game encyclopedia etc.

Comment

DEAR ENGINE DEVELOPERs

I think you should know here are some people drawing graphics. Currently this graphcs are sprites, so if your wish us to switch to true 3D (much better, IMO), please inform poor folks doing artist jobs ASAP, so volume of wasted work will be keept minimal. I believe engine you're working on will be pure killer, but we are team, or possible I'm wrong? Some time ago some high-ranked SPDT people seemed to agreed with true 3D, but I still compeltely out of information about _possible_ graphics formats etc. Best regards.

Comment

targon - i think that we all wait GOD to come, almost all information about this will be in it

Comment

All praise the GOD!

Comment

Targon-
                          those units look very nice

The light bomber looks a bit like a mixture of a glider-parachute and a modern helicopter

The stealth bomber looks like a butterfly (butterflies are quiet - does the shape come from that perhaps?)
                          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

aaglo,
                            Light bomber is in fact two-mode thing, as its engines are rotating and thus create additional lifting for low speeds. For high speeds, they are straight, producing more thrust. Hull is wing in its own right, improving new lifting.
                            Stealth bomber looks as it looks because I've think it's cool
                            At its second pic your could see it's blends with background somewhat...

Comment

OK, here is one more unit. It's like space marine...
                              This guy is 10% compelete and I fear I'll have hard time completing it, as PovRay lacks some valueble aspects like true Scene Graph (may be simulated using Unions). Also, its bi-patches are humble, way too short (just 4x4 CVs) and hard to join.
                              Attached Files

Comment

However, it still looks fine to me

Nice job, targon.
                                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X