This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundwave - an explanation

Soundwave asked me on MSN to post this here as he is banned. I'm just copying and pasting here, so don't shoot the messenger:

"I cannot write in Apolyton anymore, as I have been banned without prior knowledge. I thought about writing up a new account, going on Apolyton and telling you my 'case'... but then I thought what’s the point? I don’t need that **** in my life.

Civilization is a great game, enjoyed by all, brings people together and while you play you are happy, enjoying it, kicking butt or in some case's losing, but you enjoy it. Some of you people have turned that around, if you don't do something the Aployton way, its not the right way. In other words, being hassled of cheating... I mean different cultures join together on one site, if one person makes a joke or is kidding, it would be funny to him and maybe some cultures but not to others and may be offensive and rude.

I posted the wrong file on Aployton, it was going to be my history scenario re-vamp, totally different, its own tech tree, different units, different map based on the giga world, new and better events, but I posted the wrong one that I working from. If you ask 'hang on he posted the history file he knew', no I didn't because I have two Civ2 files one for making scenario's and ones that have been made, by other people and me.

For the fact Exile has stated 'I thought that we agreed for you let this drop out of sight. ' I did agree to this, I will not deny it, but its not the same scenario, and for a fact I had e-mail Civfanatics website to take it off, still nothing has been done, its the only site, the scenario is on by my knowledge. Also Exile 'SW, you're a liar and a thief.' to a person, who thought… “I’ll try a scenario”, so I used your’s as a pallet, but I now know what I did was wrong, but call it what you will an update, next version, I don't care, some people liked it, they said it had good colour, appealing to the eye, fun to play. I thought I did something right finally, after the 'cheating accusations' and ‘how me and my girl friend wanted to play from the same computer incident’ we have the same computer, she wanted to play a pbem and see what it was like and got nailed for it, so much for that, no fun for the person on the receiving end... for that I even verballing abused some person for some comments towards her. Some of you even talked to her on MSN. I mean come on a person comes on here wanting to play, gets abused; I get called a cheat, because I didn't ask the Moderator if it was allowed.

If you want to ask me this, “is this site fun?” NO, I don't think so, but I still want to be a part of it, because since I have been here, I have made friends, helped people, and it felt good, this does not! I ask the moderator, is this not a site for fun and creativity!!

To the people who first played with me in Exiles Aow PBEM game, we destroyed Germany, it was fun, I didn't want it to get boring so I thought what about making an Austria (even though in the end ANZAC killed me), but it was fun, the diplomacy and warfare of words. Now sometimes I can’t join a PBEM game, and now I can't do anything!

Some people takes things too seriously and 'shoot people down', 'that’s not right' or that's 'tacky', even though you maybe the 'Gods' of this site, at least beginners are trying, they might be as good as you 'Gods' one day...

I saw my name in a readme file in Eurocrises, saying thanks to 'Soundwave' and others for your helpful advice that made me feel really good, me the person everyone is so quickly to blame and shoots their mouths off. If I am banned how can anyone hear my side of the story? I don’t know if anyone else gets the feeling of great joy when you help someone and get credit for it... or no credit at all just helping, but to me it feels really good. I was playing Civilization 2 since I was 14, I thought it was the best, and I’m now 20 and still playing it nearly every week (sad I know) but it’s a good game, its fun.

I have to ask honestly, I have explained my actions in full, and yet I am banned, for what?"
    Unbelievable!

Maybe this should be asked in another forum like Apolyton/Administration?

Comment

[soundwave]But I was accused and banned in this section, and furthermore few people at SL read the Apolyton/Community section regularly.[/soundwave]
      Unbelievable!

Comment

I read through that once and it made me
        Then I read it again and became even more

I gather SW has been banned for a while and is unhappy about something new as well as something old?

Comment

I gather SW has been banned for a while and is unhappy about something new as well as something old?
          Rav, have a look at: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=78720
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

So who banned him? Is there an Apolyton Forum rule against plagerism?
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I didn't even know Soundwave was banned! How? Why? Because Exile asked for it because of the rip off??

As much as I think I would have been mad if my work had been "stolen", I find it really sad...
              Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
              Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
              POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
              LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Originally posted by Case

Rav, have a look at: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=78720
                Aaahh. The lightbulb finally clicks.
                That's Soundwaves biggest problem. An appallingly low signal-noise ratio.

So who banned him? Is there an Apolyton Forum rule against plagerism?
                If there isn't there probably should be...

Comment

I am quite a new poster here, and from what I can gather, using other people's files is fine...

As long as you have the author's express permission and give him/her full credit.

We WW2 scenario makers have been openly and honestly trading units, terrain, etc.
                  And it works great in addition to increasing our community feeling.

What I can gather is that this soundwave fellow swiped a entire scenario, then made it into his own obvious copy.
                  Without permission, or any such...Not a wise move. Especially if you post it online.

I can see why the original creator was annoyed, a scenario maker or any creator always recognises his own work...

A rather unfortunate situation.
                  http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                  http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am quite a new poster here, and from what I can gather, using other people's files is fine...

As long as you have the author's express permission and give him/her full credit.

We WW2 scenario makers have been openly and honestly trading units, terra
                    in, etc.
                    And it works great in addition to increasing our community feeling.

That isn't true. You don't necessarily have to ask the author for permission. Most authors will allow use of their work (graphics, maps, ideas etc) as long as they're credited. And most people are fair enough to credit people.
                    And this isn't limited to WW2 scenarios.
                    Follow the masses!
                    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

@Stefan Härtel.

Of course this isn't limited to WW2 scenarios. Did I actually state that it was?

No I didn't.
                      I was going by my own experience.

And I think it is only proper to always ask permission from the creators of artwork, files etc.

I did with any artwork I borrowed for my scenario, with the exception of Nemo, who is unavailable.

So it is true, in my case.
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

A clarification.

I did not ask that SW be banned. If he is, I have precious litle sympathy, however.

My intention was to make clear that the soundwave person presented a scenario as his own creation when it was not. It was, in fact, my own, and only superficially altered at that. Moreover, in game terms , the "changes" were a disaster, in no way accurate with the period or capturing the spirit of the age of industrial warfare.

And now he's whining about how I'm being mean to him.

Lost in America.
                        "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                        "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                        "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

From someone who has made a scenario completely based off of someone else's scenario, I can completely understand where Exile is coming from. Before I even started thinking about editing Captain Nemo's 2194 Days of War, I sent him an e-mail, told him some of my ideas, and asked his permission. He gave me his blessing, and even some ideas. Since then, the scenario took on a shape of its own, and there is not all that much left at all that resembles Nemo's 2194. HOWEVER, the first person I thanked and mentioned in my readme was Captain Nemo. I gave him all the credit, because he deserved it. I think Soundwave made a very grave error by not asking and not crediting Exile.

Pap

Comment

Is SW banned at civfanatics?
                            Re-elect Bush!

Comment

maybe what he did wasn't very nice
                              but why has he been baned??

and what is that about the wrong file benig posted??
                              that it is very weird...
                              Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
                              Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
                              miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X