Nemo-esque graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nemo-esque graphics

There's currently a fairly ridiculous debate raging at CivFan about the relative merits of 'hi-res' graphics over Nemo-type units:

Originally posted by academia Cool! Another high res units supporter! :D I'm proud to be a member of the anit-nemo graphics association ;) current number of members = 8 academia kobayashi Eivind IV anarchywrksbest Mordheim Cleveland Ohwell Darius SIGN UP HERE ON THIS...

It got me thinking - Do many people actually like Nemo-type units? (other than the obvious candidates: Anzac, Jimmywax, Case, FMK and anyone else producing tank pics).

Anyway, I've always wanted to try out this poll thingy, so here goes
    Nemo units. He was a Civ God.
    67.57%
    So-called Hi-res graphics - I like indistinguishable blobs of pixels
    18.92%
    Original Civ tank graphic.
    5.41%
    Sgut up and stop bothering me with this crap poll
    8.11%
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

I haven't voted yet. Are we talking strictly tanks here? As far as infantry, terrain, cities, and icons I like Nemo's a hell of a lot better. But for tanks and aircraft I prefer the high res style. It looks more realistic.
    Re-elect Bush!

Comment

I think Alex Mor did most of the infantry graphics for Nemo's scenarios (?), so I guess I'm referring to tanks and aircraft.
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Well I'm still not going to vote.
        It also depends on the context. If you made a WW2 scenario and used Nemo graphics for everything but tanks and aircraft, the high res stuff might seem out of place. Maybe I'm wrong here but I just can't picture Second Front using high res.
        Re-elect Bush!

Comment

Actually, I voted Civ tank for one reason.
          You can't make the graphics look real due to the amount of pixels (and anyway, this is a game )

So the next best thing in my book is to make it look good. Civ 2 original and Nemo, hands down, make better representations than shrunken photos as far as aesthetic taste goes.
          II. 193 And fight them until there is no more tumult and oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression.

Comment

I read the civfanatics thread and must say that it's nothing else than ridiculous. What is it with personal opinions and tastes that screws people up in that way?
            Follow the masses!
            30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

I voted for Nemo-esque for obvious reasons, I cannot stand to play a scenario when the designer has gone back and forth between Isometric (nemo) and so-called Hi-Res (usually dark blobs with white outlines). As I have stated before I am a very visual person and can only seem to enjoy a scenario if it looks appealing. I am okay with Hi-Res if it is done right, i.e. the images are clear, don't have stray pixels everywhere, and fit in with the other graphics. I have seen some that look good and the designer obviously took some time to either make or find the correct gfx for the job.

P.S. I don't like the generic term Nemo. There are too many good gfx designers that work in the Isometric style. I love to see Bebro's and Favoured Flight's work. They both have their own style as do several other designers.
              "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
              "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

Nemo-esque all the way!
                Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmywax
                  I voted for Nemo-esque for obvious reasons, I cannot stand to play a scenario when the designer has gone back and forth between Isometric (nemo) and so-called Hi-Res (usually dark blobs with white outlines).
                  I couldn't agree more

As long as a scenarios graphic style is consistant I don't really care what style of graphics was used.
                  'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                  - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Invalid Session error, yet again. Can't vote.

Sometime Apolyton is Ultimate in frustration.

-FMK.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yep.

I much prefer the Nemo-esque style of unit graphics. The so-called "high-res" stuff just looks awful. I'm with JW; a scenario has to have visual appeal or I won't bother with it.
                      Lost in America.
                      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                      "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Whaaaaat!? Nemo looks okay, but that's in the past. Hi-Res is the future! Look at ZWK, it looks tons better than Ref Front!
                        "The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity." - Anonymous
                        "I must confess, I was born at a very early age." - Groucho Marx
                        "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunatley, it kills all it's pupils." -Hector-Luis Berloiz

Comment

I would like to argue that the Isometric "Nemo" style units are the high resolution or Hi-Res units.

The "Nemo" units are much nicer looking, they look like the actual units, and they are much easier to see which unit is which.

Pap

Comment

Originally posted by mordhiem
                            Whaaaaat!? Nemo looks okay, but that's in the past. Hi-Res is the future! Look at ZWK, it looks tons better than Ref Front!
                            Mordheim: what have you been smoking lately?
                            Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

I hate hi-res graphics for two reasons:
                              1) they look like crap
                              2) they are not isometric

I like Nemo graphics for two reasons:
                              1) they look okay
                              2) they are isometric

I would also like to credit Nemo with inspiring (or inventing) my style of city artwork.
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X