Too many units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many units

How can the too many units problem be solved or has anyone already done it?
    "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

I don't know if this has been solved, but if you want my advice, don't intend to solve it. Too many units make turns drag, drag, drag, and if you reach the limits, it's unbearable. If it hadn't been for the artwork, I'd have skipped scenarios such as Red Front immediately. Use more powerful units instead, if you want to represent massive armies.
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

It's for Age of War, by about 1930 if you play as Spain, Italy or Turkey the major powers mass so many troops that the too many units problem presents itself.
      "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

Comment

Unless . . .

. . . they go to war with each other. Which, unfortunately, doesn't always happen at opportune times. A bit of judicious diplomacy might help. But you're correct and I've run into this myself. It's another reason why I suggested in the readme file that pbem and multiplay are the best ways to use this scenario.
        Lost in America.
        "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
        "or a very good liar." --Stefu
        "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

It's for Age of War, by about 1930 if you play as Spain, Italy or Turkey the major powers mass so many troops that
          the too many units problem presents itself.

Sorry. I do understand this problem very well, I've had that problem myself as well with this scenario.
          I can't see a way out of this here as well
          Follow the masses!
          30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Well I think there MUST be a way around it and I'm dtermined to find what it is.

Comment

I have a feeling, from wandering through too many threads discussing similar problems, that the .exe only allocates 2^11 (2048) unique unit numbers. I suppose you could find a way to assign non-unique id's but I couldn't begin to hazard a guess as to what that may mean to the game mechanics ...

Comment

i thought i remembered a thread about this before in the old civ2 creation forum before markos rolled it into this one. search for a thread by julius brezenda or something like that. I know he was working on a city hack to get over the limit but couldn't find a way, i think that he might have succeeded with units though

Comment

found the thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=29881

Comment

Exceeding the hated 'too many units' problem has been my dream for years.

I know the problem is hard-coded and is very hard to tackle.

In a WW2 scenario (like my Dictator series) the too many units limit is a real problem,
                    as the empires continue their unrestricted military build up,
                    the limit seriously handicaps gameplay.

My solution was to make less but more capable units,
                    So the game is not saturated with hundreds of units.

Also make sure the AI is always blasting and losing units.
                    And make sure in a war scenario, that the AI has not got the chance to stockpile units.

Because is does not matter which civ has actually got the 2028 units...so it may as well be your civ!

There is hope of a solution, I remember when the gold and population limit was a problem...but they were solved.

In MGE then ToT, perhaps these versions of CIV hold the answer...
                    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

So is Julius Benzaida still around?

Comment

and after reading that thread things occurred to me...unlimited # of civs, unlimited map space, unlimited different kinds of units and terrain, the possibilities are endless...

Comment

Originally posted by Choke
                          and after reading that thread things occurred to me...unlimited # of civs, unlimited map space, unlimited different kinds of units and terrain, the possibilities are endless...
                          if you feel like completely rewriting the game that is

Comment

yeah, but is it just writing code, I mean as long as you knew what bits of code did what it would just be typing, lots of typing but I think worth the effort...and then there the possibility of Microprose releasing the source code.

Comment

IMHO, if the games says you have too many units, then you have too many units. Bigger is usually not better in Civ2.
                              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                              X