ww2 philippine invasion scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are great looking units
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

map preview

down there you may see a screenshot/preview of the map i´m going to use. it´s a 50x200 map that i´ve designed on my own. it´s been a lot of work but i´m now moretheless satisfied.
      Attached Files

Comment

some more units

now i´ve already 27 units to populate the beautiful philippine archipelago.

some of ´em you already know but there are some new one´s i´ve created today so far.

the "OLD" ones:

US Drill Instructor, Infantry, MG Position, Infantry Philippine Scout Division;

NEW!!!

Supply Truck, US Jeep, Philippine Recruit (the one the drill instructor is there for), MG Infantry;
        M2A1 Medium Tank, M3 Grant Medium Tank, P40-B Warhawk Fighter, P38-C Lightning Fighter, US Light Field Artillery, PBY Catalina, US Coast Guard, US Coast Patrol, IJN Congo Battleship;
        IJN Haruna Battleship, IJN Cruiser, IJN Destroyer, IJN Frigate, IJN Troop Transport, Infantry, Imperial Marine, Type 95-2 Light Tank, Type 97-1 Medium Tank;

you may notify that today i´ve been able to post the units as a *.gif file as requested. the only thing i recommend is that you may contact me if you use ´em. e-mail me that i send you the artistic credits because - as you may have seen - some of the units are taken from other designers.

mailto: steph_sander@hotmail.com

thanx

Sleep my sons, your duty done ...
        for freedom´s light has come.
        sleep in the silent depths of the sea
        or in your bed of hallowed sod.
        until you hear at dawn
        the low clear reveille of God.

* the poet is unknown; it´s inscribed on the monument to the Pacific War Dead, in Corregidor, Philippines.
        Attached Files

Comment

I drew some US naval fighters after I read this, plus a Val and a tomahawk at: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...94#post1406094
          I am going to work on a Brewster Buffalo F2A tonight. What do you think?
          "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
          -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
          "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
          "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

IJN Congo Battleship
            Actually the ships were the Kongo class

BTW, are you sure that the US deployed M3-Grant/Lees and P-38s to the Phillipines? I thought that the best that they had was M-3 Stuarts and P-40s...
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Originally posted by Case
              BTW, are you sure that the US deployed M3-Grant/Lees and P-38s to the Phillipines? I thought that the best that they had was M-3 Stuarts and P-40s...
              P-38s weren't in operational status before 1942, so I highly doubt they were represented in the phillipines during the Japanese invasion. However they did rack up an impressive kill count during the Us invasion of the phillipines in 1944.

Comment

I just found an online version of the full US offical history of the fall of the Philippines. Check it out at: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-P-PI/

Comment

first of all 2 things mentioned by Case

Actually the ships were Kongo class
                  thanx to case. after i had posted the units sample i took a look into some history books and found out - just as you mentioned - that the Congo and Haruna battleships were sister ships of the same - Congo - class.

BTW, are you sure that the US deployed M3-Grant/Lees and P38s to the Philippines?
                  by the way, i´m not really sure as hell that the US deployed these kinds of war equipment to the philippines but on the other hand i must confess i don´t exactly know about this facts.
                  i wouldn´t build ´em into the scenario but i don´t exactly know about this aspect. if you know better let me know and i´ll remove these tanks/planes from the philippines.

don there you may admire the units i´m going to use in ma scenario.the us artillery and the japanese mortar units will only be able to destroy targets some distance away to make it more realistic. the rest will be explained in the game concept of the scenario.

that´s it for now
                  Attached Files

Comment

thanx to H Tower. i won´t use the P38s in my scenario.
                    i also must confess i haven´t read your post before i posted the rest of the units.

Comment

two types of japanese subs? i also don't see any US sub among the units. I think the US used porpoise class submarines successfully in the phillipine area up until the fall of correigdor.

an interesting event could be every 3 turns or so that a US sub would surface with much needed supplies (50gold) for MacArthurs defence of the phillipines. it would end with the fall of bataan or correigdor or a MacA unit being killed

Comment

What a great idea for a scenario!Is the second Japanese fighter (next to the Zero) a Ki 43 Hayabusha or an A5M "Claude"?
                        "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                        -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                        "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                        "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

Originally posted by jim panse
                          thanx to case. after i had posted the units sample i took a look into some history books and found out - just as you mentioned - that the Congo and Haruna battleships were sister ships of the same - Congo - class.
                          Actually, I was pointing out the the ship class is the Kongo class, not the Congo class. I think that they were named after some area of Japan or an old admiral, and not the African river

I wouldn´t build ´em into the scenario but i don´t exactly know about this aspect. if you know better let me know and i´ll remove these tanks/planes from the philippines.
                          If you look through the offical history I posted, there appears to be a chapter of the state of the American forces in the Philippines before the Japanese invasion. It should have the definitive answer on whether there were Grants in the Philippines or not.

Comment

hello folks ....

today i´ve got a list of the units for you.

to tanelorn: 1st thank you for letting me use your units; 2nd: the fighter next to the Zero is a K-43-Hayabusha;

to H Tower: there aren´t 2 kinds of japanese subs. the left one is an american submarine.

to case: i took a certain number of looks to the page you presented to me but i couldn´t figure out wether the US used some Grants or not. i will leave them out. as the P38.

as you may have guessed, the P38 was replaced by a US 75mm Anti tank Gun

i also thought of creating a macarthur unit for the US/Philippino Forces but than i decided to leave his unit out. but the thought of the sub carrying supplies to Bataan/Corregidor is not bad ......

to tanelorn: let me add one other thing at least: i´m looking forward to create an epic scenarion of one of the turning points in the pacific theatre: the battle of Guadalcanal during my x-mas holidays. may i recall then to use some of your beautiful planes for this gigantic battle?!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jim panse
                              as you may have guessed, the P38 was replaced by a US 75mm Anti tank Gun
                              Er, the 75mm wasn't used by the US untill late 1942/3, and I doubt that any of them were ever sent to the Pacific. In the Philippines the US army had 37mm guns and the Marines had some wierd 20mm combined Anti-tank and anti-aircraft guns (please don't ask me how I know this stuff - I just do )

Comment

Jim: have you seen some of the Japanese units made by GuKGuk? They really might work. Also I Jimmywax has made a Grant which could work. These should be in the graphics thread, but I also will post them on my site @ http://on.to/civ2
                                Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                                X