ww2 philippine invasion scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ww2 philippine invasion scenario

i´m currently working on a ww2 scenario about the invasion of the phillippine isles by the japanese forces in 1941/42.

this is my first scenario i´m going to present in the web, so get your expextations together.

first screenshots will be posted within the next days (i hope to publish the first takes within the next 2-3 days).

if there are any comments on the topic you may post it somewhere here.

greetings

I hope you're making good use of all the units I made for Kyokujitsu

Comment

I can't wait!

*resists urge to say something about returning*
      I refute it thus!
      "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Wow, this could make for a fantastic scenario Are you covering the invasion of the entire Philipines, or just Luzon? Personally, I'd only cover Luzon as this was the only area where the US had enough forces to offer any kind of prolonged resistance. Indeed, if 'Dug-Out Doug' hadn't screwed up and deployed his forces for coast defence, the US forces could have held out well into 1942.

If you're interested, the US Army's excelent Centre for Militay History Website as an excelent article at: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/brochures/pi/PI.htm

The West Point map page at: http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/dhi...las%20Page.htm should also prove useful.
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Case:
          you really think they could have held out that long with no supplies coming in from the states? I think the Japanese would have just made their one large invasion, and when the US forces come out to fight, the japanese would land some troops in the rear and wreck havok.

So is the is scenario going to be PBEM? Or is there finally a single player scenario coming out? What civ is playable? It would almost have to be Japan unless you really know your stuff and can make the AI invade properly. The US would be challenging IF you can make the Japanese work right.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
            Case:
            you really think they could have held out that long with no supplies coming in from the states? I think the Japanese would have just made their one large invasion, and when the US forces come out to fight, the japanese would land some troops in the rear and wreck havok.
            Yeah I do. Most military historians believe that if Macarthur had stuck to his original plan of retreating to Bataan at the first sign of trouble then the US/Philippino forces could have held out for a hell of a lot longer then they did.

By abandoning this plan in favour of a more agressive defence of central Luzon, MacArthur's forces were first bashed up by the qualitatively [but not quantitatively] superior Japanese forces, and then lost most of their huge stockpile of supplies when Macarthur failed to move them from Manilla to Bataan as had been originally planned.

BTW, MacArthur earned the Congressional Medal of Honour for his 'defence' of the Philippines
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

whatever you mean ...

i´m currently painting a satisfying map but i had to restart designing some times ´cause i wasn´t content about the map. the one i´v now seems to be pretty acceptable (not very good, but remember: i´m still working on it.)

now i´v got - just like said - an acceptable base for further map marking. if you want i may post a little screenshot of it here.

i´m just thinking about creating not only the US and the japanese forces but also the philippine "army". what do think? this a great idea or shall i grant sole command to gen. macarthur?

i think gen. macarthur should have prepared "his" philippine allies with heavier equipment but i´m quite sure he couldn´t hold out really much longer because the japanese would have brought reenforcements to the philippines because leaving the isles under american control could not have been acceptable (not only under military aspects).

best wishes

Comment

MacA was the leader of the Us/Phillipino forces, he gaves orders to the US troops just the same way as he gave orders to the phillipinos. I would imagine that if the two were seperated,the two different armies would just get in each others way, and the AI will try and break the alliance, make demands, and generally be really stupid if you are america and the computer controls the phillipine army.

Comment

2 allied armed forces?

sure, you are completely right about macarthur´s command position.

but the hotseat mode could solve this problem (though then it has to befocused only on the japanese for the human player). i think there will be only 2 players, the us/filipino forces and on the other side the japanese 14th army, invading the philippines.

i´m currently about designing the units and the terrains for this battle. the terrain is nearly finished and i´m going to try to create lots of different units for either side.

Comment

But with hotseat you get a "black out" in MGE

Also the Filipino and US forces were working nearly as one force under MacArthur and in the 30s MacArthur was field marshal of the Filipino Army IIRC so I don't see any purpose in having 2 separate civs
                    Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

I agree with ANZAC - the US and Philippino armies fought side by side, often in combined units.

think gen. macarthur should have prepared "his" philippine allies with heavier equipment but i´m quite sure he couldn´t hold out really much longer because the japanese would have brought reenforcements to the philippines because leaving the isles under american control could not have been acceptable (not only under military aspects).
                      Macarthur gave the Philippinos the best that he had (not that that's saying much!). Given that the bashed up and hungy US/PI force managed to hold out on Bataan untill the Japanese brought in reinforcements from Malaya, I'd say that if Macarthur had withdrawn in good order, he could have held Battan, and thus the vital entrance to Manilla Bay, for a very long time. This would have greatly disrupted Japanese plans, and would have shortened the war.

Comment

with hotseat, you still can't have US forces use the same road as the Philopino Army, combine them into one civ

Comment

thanx for your tips. i´m going to combine mac´s forces into one US/philippino army.

now i´m also going to tell you that you have to wait for another 1-2 days for the first screenshots because i had a lot of work to for my university but i guess tomorrow evening (cet) there´ll be some gfx.

Comment

first look on some units

good evening,

down there should be some units i´m going to use in my scenario.

shown are (from left):
                            1. US drill instructor to the philippine army
                            2. US infantry
                            3. mg position
                            4. US infantry
                            5. philippine scout division

2 other things:
                            there´ll be some more units on sunday 27 (tomorrow).

what do you think of this units? you may post your opinion here or e-mail me (steph_sander@hotmail.com).

thanx
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice - only could you post them original size in .gif form? Thanks!
                              I refute it thus!
                              "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X