Events file question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Events file question

I've seen some discussion about civ's changing governments even with the "no government changes allowed" flag on.

My question is, if I make a scenario with "no government switching allowed" and then use the events file to give a government type tech to one of the civs (i.e. Monarchy, Democracy or The Republic) - will that one civ be able to switch governments immediately to the new one???

Thanks in advance for help...

Michael

Definitely not. Even if that civ already had the tech for another government type it couldn't change to a new form of government.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Yes, they will get the pop up about the new gov form available, and do they want to switch to this. I am not sure what the AI will do in this circumstance, prolly not switch. But the human player will get the Gov pop up with the 'Begin Revolution Now?' question at the bottom.

Was able to switch France to a republic this way in a Brown Man's Burden v1 game.

Comment

it appears we disagree tech...

Comment

Bloody hell. I just ran a test and it appears to support techumseh's hypothesis. However I coulda swore that I was terribly surprised one time to see the Gov pop up and switching question in a game that wasnt supposed to allow for such.

So in theory, you can just set the civ's respective govs, toggle the so switch flag, and then use the government techs for something else, as they should have no effect.

-FMK.

Comment

Govt techs do have effect (through the popup described by FMK), I've been able to switch govts in several scenarios where I am not supposed to (for instance the ww2 scenario that comes with the game, when playing spain).
            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Yes, I agree with Hendrik - that is what started my question here. Since human players can do this, I was wondering if the AI would do the same.

Comment

Ahh so I'm not going crazy then H?

-FMK.

Comment

I'd highly doubt this would enable the AI to switch govs.
                  I refute it thus!
                  "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

IIRC, human government switching on tech discovery was removed after CiC.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

No it was not, this happens in MGE, in fact in Exiles "Imperialism 1870" you are supposed to switch govts this way (ie: only switch govts upon the discovery of a new one).
                      It's true that this does not apply to AIs though, they wont ever switch without govt switching on.
                      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

one other way is to force your democracy or republic to collapse (by say... ignoring treaties). You will then be able to change to whatever govt you have the advances for even under no switching.
                        This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Thanks guys for your input.

I guess the consensus is that the AI will not utilize the ability of government change with a new government tech although it seems this is possible for players under the "no govt switching" rule.

Pity, I wanted to use this feature in a scenario!

Michael

Comment

Don't get the wrong idea. What I said is the only unavoidable way to change govt.

In the typical case as described earlier, you just need to edit the games .txt so that the change govt pop up says "Congrats, you just researched a useless tech (or whatever)" and delete away the yes button.

(and if its the AI you want to change govts, just don't let the humans have the change govt techs) but keep the change govt option on.
                            This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Re: Events file question

Originally posted by Michael7586
                              My question is, if I make a scenario with "no government switching allowed" and then use the events file to give a government type tech to one of the civs (i.e. Monarchy, Democracy or The Republic) - will that one civ be able to switch governments immediately to the new one???
                              Michael
                              I think I can clear up some of the confusion. It has been my experience that in FW, the answer to the question would be no, but that in MGE the answer would be yes. When a tribe in MGE discovers a new government type, you get the pop up asking you if you would like to switch. That doesn't happen in FW. I am not sure how this affects AI tribes.

There is one more way around the no govt switching flag. That's when you let a democracy collapse due to unhappiness. When the period of anarchy is over, any form of government available to a tribe can be chosen.
                              "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
                              --

Comment

Working...
                              X