Western Front dedication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanx alot Hobbes

Those units graphics are great, especially the early tanks and machine gun nest. I'll be sure to look at the other ones too as I finish off the city structures.
    "Where the internet be free, high technology there be" - Journeyman journeys to Hong Kong Airport

Comment

How are you thinking of handling the various phases of the campaign: the fluid first 8 weeks, the stalemate where progress was measured by attrition not geographical objectives, and the 1918 breakthroughs?
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

What events are you adding anyway?
        "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
          How are you thinking of handling the various phases of the campaign: the fluid first 8 weeks, the stalemate where progress was measured by attrition not geographical objectives, and the 1918 breakthroughs?
          What events are you adding anyway?
          Boco, the scenario begins when the troops are well and truly dug in and should stay that way for a while. The 1918 surge of American soldiers and supplies are important though, and I agree it would do good to simulate it.

Regarding the events, so far:

-> I have made it so the three major powers (French, Germans, British) cannot talk to each other but can with Belguim and Netherlands.

-> Event tied with the taking of Paris

-> I know well the Germans had a sizable battleship fleet but to simulate the way it was badly ill used they can't build them (they have one, which is 'rebuilt' when destroyed.) British cities are not objectives anyway.

-> If the Somme or Verdun is taken the French recieve reinforcements.

This covers the events so far (and the 1918 one should be added too). I would appreciate any ideas/corrections.
          "Where the internet be free, high technology there be" - Journeyman journeys to Hong Kong Airport

Comment

There must be a event in begining 1918 or end 1917 when russia went out of the war because of the revolution
            the germans must have then lot`s of reinforcements
            F 14 tomcat fanatic

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out Tomcat, would only be fair.

The cities have been finished for each side:

Aqua - Germany
              Dark Blue - French
              Orange - Britain

The other two are Belgium and the Netherlands.

I have also begun on the unit placements for each. The most powerful side is France but Germany is pretty well matched with numbers. The four British cities are well off and not vital objectives, the game can be won by taking those in France; the major French cities are very well defended.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Journeyman; August 26, 2002, 03:50.

Comment

Britain shouldn't be expected to conduct an amphibious invasion. Particularly not with M1 infantry. I recommend that you make Belgium a part of the British civ if you aren't going to have France and GB as the one civ (perfectly reasonable).

I had vain ideas of doing a Western Front scen. but don't know when and if I ever will, so feel free to steal my title: Vanguard of Liberty.

Also, please don't make the French army suck: it didn't. It's appropriate to make it difficult for the French to replace their pre-War army, though. (Maybe follow the Second Reich pattern of having Infantry and Conscripts, with the former v. expensive and the latter a bit sad?)

Comment

Originally posted by The Apologist
                  Britain shouldn't be expected to conduct an amphibious invasion. Particularly not with M1 infantry. I recommend that you make Belgium a part of the British civ if you aren't going to have France and GB as the one civ (perfectly reasonable).
                  Don't worry Apologist, I have taken a liberty by giving Britain a well defended city on Europe because the AI doesn't like amphibious invasions. To make it work (and more fun) a few things are inaccurate( ). This is all they need, I think.

Originally posted by The Apologist Also, please don't make the French army suck: it didn't. It's appropriate to make it difficult for the French to replace their pre-War army, though.
                  No worries there either - France in this scenario is the civ to beat. While the Germans have the initial number advantage the French army matches them (betters them in mobility) and bites back hard.

Comment

Originally posted by The Apologist

Also, please don't make the French army suck: it didn't.
                    Are you sure? I always thought the only thing Frenchies are capable of is this -->
                    Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

*sigh*
                      Two once so dedicated designers were planning such a project in the good old days... perhaps there is a curse or something on this... I wish you the very best of luck
                      Follow the masses!
                      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Sorry for the delay, been busy lately.

The first version is finished (and I am happy with it). I decided against adding reinforcements for Germany (after Russia ends war) or America's intervention because I think the scenario would be resolved before that happens. If this isn't the case, inform me of it - and any other complaints of course.

I have used icons/units from the incredible Reich Two but all else is original. This is a simple yet (hopefully) detailed enough work focused upon the Western Front alone and the slaughter over it.

Comment

Edit - Cannot upload it. Will have to create a website to make it available.
                          Last edited by Journeyman; September 5, 2002, 07:09.

Comment

if it's something finished(e.g. playable), mail it at markg@apolyton.net
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                            X