Urban Civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Civilization

I'm working on a full scale mod that turns Civilization into a similar game on an urban map (the biggest change is the tile squares, but units, tech, etc. are also effected).

Basically you will play as an organiztion competing with others for underground power within the city. More details to follow.
    When you laugh, the world laughs with you.
    When you cry, the world laughs at you.

Some preliminary data:

Food= People
    Shield = Labor
    Trade = Cash

With the land conversions, you will notice that resources are now more abundant. Don't worry, inflation has been used on costs as well.

LAND CONVERSIONS
    Note- special care has been taken to exploit the multi-tile capabilities of Forest, Mountain, and Hill.
    (Name, Movecost, Defense 50%; People, Labor, Cash)
    (Irrigate stats, mine stats, transform to)
    City Park, 3,3, 1,0,0, no, 0, 0, 0, no, 0, 0, 0, no, ; Drt
    Small Town, 1,2, 1,1,1, Grs, 0, 5, 3, Gla, 0, 8, 3, Tun, ; Pln
    Suburbs, 1,2, 2,0,2, Hil, 0, 9, 2, Tun, 0,13, 5, Gla, ; Grs
    Downtown, 2,3, 1,1,4, Hil, 0, 5, 2, Mou, 0,12, 5, Gla, ; For
    Apartments, 2,4, 3,1,1, no, 0, 0, 0, For, 0, 7, 3, Tun, ; Hil
    Skyscrapers,2,3, 2,0,6, no, 0, 0, 0, no, 0, 0, 0, no, ; Mou
    Row Houses, 1,2, 2,2,2, Hil, 0, 5, 1, For, 0, 6, 4, Gla, ; Tun
    Factories, 1,3, 0,4,0, Pln, 0, 5, 4, Tun, 0, 7, 3, Hil, ; Gla
    Landfill, 3,6, 0,1,0, Jun, 0,15, 6, Gla, 0,20, 5, Grs, ; Swa
    Rural Land, 1,2, 1,0,0, Grs, 0, 3, 2, Gla, 0, 5, 2, Pln, ; Jun
    Water, 1,2, 1,0,2, no, 0, 0, 0, no, 0, 0, 0, no, ; Oce

RESOURCE CONVERSIONS
    (Name, Movecost, Defense 50%; People, Labor, Cash)
    Open Stage, 3,4, 4,0,1,

Shops, 1,3, 1,1,3,

Warehouse, 1,2, 2,1,2,

Theater, 2,3, 3,2,0,

Projects, 2,4, 5,1,1,

TV Station, 2,3, 2,0,9,

Stores, 1,2, 2,3,3,
    ;game
    Refinery, 1,1, 0,6,3,
    ;ivory
    Scrap Metal,3,6, 0,2,1,

Office Park,1,2, 1,0,4,

Fish, 1,2, 3,0,2,

Zoo, 3,3, 2,0,3,
    ;desert oil
    Condos, 1,2, 3,1,1,

Warehouse, 1,2, 2,1,2,

Dept Store, 2,3, 2,1,6,

Retail Row, 2,4, 3,1,3,

Hotel, 2,3, 4,0,7,

Highrise, 1,2, 4,2,2,

Lab, 2,2, 1,4,2,
    tic oil
    Shantytown, 3,8, 4,1,0,

Drug Farm, 1,2, 1,0,5,
    ;fruit
    Beacon, 1,2, 2,2,2,

GOVERNMENTS
    @GOVERNMENTS
    Chaos, Mr., Ms.
    Gang, Big, Big
    Organized Crime, Papa, Ma
    Labor Union, Leader, Leader
    Religious Cult, High Priest, High Priestess
    Corporation, Chairman, Chairman
    Nonprofit, President, President

Roads are now BUS ROUTES
    Rails are now STREETCAR
    Rivers are not MASS TRANSIT

Comment

That sounds like a great idea. If you can come up with a few good maps that look like cities, I may just adapt one of them into a scenario I've been considering for a while, but have postponed since I couldn't find a good urban map - it's about violence on campuses by student radical groups. Let me know of your progress!
      ----------------------------------------
      EchoPapa's scenarios are available at the ACS Mac Site
      and
      Visit the Institute for Naming Children Humanely at inch.stormpages.com

Comment

The first one I'm thinking of doing is NYC Metro Area. Basically, this area the greatest number of people know about to some degree, and I don't have to adjust the leader and civilization or city files for realism.

Expect the beta to be out in at least a month from now. The whole tech tree is going to be revamped. (Instead of technology, you contribute money as political bribes to gain access to increasing amounts of power)

Comment

Sounds like a great idea! But what about the story of the scenario? Perhaps a kind of crime-fighting or different politics or politic partys fight for control over the city?
          Alles ist möglich! Nichts wird uns aufhalten!
          Solidarität mit Island!

Join the Þ ß ð ä ö ü õ - Front!

Comment

That's a great idea, FreeChina! (Although I have to say I can't agree with your username )

I've been reading a good series of sci fi novels called "Chung Kuo" (by David Wingrove) and if you can bring this off, it will make my work for the scenario much much easier.

My good will be with you, FC.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

The context of this mod focuses not on a civilization, but more so of a gang. As leader of this gang it's your job to advance it to legitimacy.

A few more notes:
              Space Ship becomes
              Election Process.

Win the game by buying your way into government.

Pollution becomes Urban Decay. Let it get out of hand and you will find your city turning into landfill and empty lots.

Comment

Sounds like a fun scenario. I was just wondering though. Are you intending to change the graphics for the Space Ship to something relating to the Election Process, or will you just leave that? If yes, I would imagine that it will be quite a task.

Comment

I have a half done map of San Francisco for an urban scenario that I have been working on infrequently for a year. The context of mine was to have all of the "cities" laid out from the beginning as barbarians and you have to buy them to expand. All of the land is grass at the start but plains have bigger food production (residential and irr to Apartments, then Hotels) and forests are light industrial, mined to become factories, getting hills require transformation and those are office buildings with the big trade stats. Roads are phone lines and rail is fiberoptics... etc.

Basically having dips as developers that would buy out city blocks for your construction crews to build-up over time, with no real offensive military units.

I like your ideas, maybe I'll get back to working on mine.
                  Be the bid!

Comment

Hannibal3, the space ship launch screen graphics can't be changed without some serious programming knowledge that no one seems to have. Oh well, the space ship looks rather cool anyway.

Interesting to see that others have experimented with urban scenarios. A different approach too, being one of a more legit developing type than the kind I have in mind.

Comment

I'm sorry to ruin your expectations FreeChina, but do you know there is a Scenario that plays just like that? It is by DarthVeda, it's called Gang Wars 1.09 and it's available at the Scenario League. I hope i misunderstood your projects and you will make a geat scenario!
                      I don't want to be arrogant, but it is usually a good idea to present a scenario at the Scenario League part of the Forum before starting working on it: the people there are very knowledgeable, can help you save a lot of time (it takes a LOT of time to make a good scenario!)

Comment

Well wait a second, FreeChina. There is a program that allows you to change the .dll files which contain the space ship graphics. I have it.

In fact, I wanted to use it on a scenario I was making (I wanted it to be a temple). I did find it a little difficult because you have to know exactly where everything will go (Otherwise its just a bunch of pictures without an order to them. In my case, it did not work for me, but the Election Process is not a tangible thing, and you may find it easier.

------------------
                        "...The highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances; next to attack their army; and the lowest is to attack their fortified cities." - Sun Tzu

Dom Pedro II.... aka Hannibal3
                        Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Excellent idea, I've been thinking along the same lines for quite a while as well. I'm in the tentative stages of creating a scenario that chronicles the Irish rebellion of Easter 1916, which only broke out in Dublin. The entire scenario would be set there with urban terrain, and with cities replaced with buildings. I'd use an actual street map of the city to design the map.
                          STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X