SDC #4: Official Rules, Regs and Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarVoid

Saying that a SP will play better than a PBEM is untrue. I've seen some low profile scenarios take to top rankings in PBEM. In the end, it's all about the playability.
    Let me put it in terms everyone - even non-scenario authors can understand.

You have a Bus design contest and you suddenly say that you can design a Ferarri if you don't know how to design a bus. You're criteria is which one drives better. Everyone is going to design a Ferarri.

You can't make a Red Front playable in PBEM.

Many people like Red Front because it is challenging.

A single player scenario can have several sets of events, units, seasons etc.

You can't have all this fancy stuff in a PBEM.

If Nemo had to make it such that you could play as either Russians or Germans, it would have to be watered down considerably.

If single player entires are accepted, can they at least be judged under a seperate category?
    Last edited by kobayashi; April 15, 2002, 06:35.
    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

It ought to be one or the other. I guess I thought we (the community) had decided that the contest was for the best scenario designed with PBEM in mind.
      I agree, we have enough SP scenarios already, but very few real PBEM.
      "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

I think this is pretty contradictory, WV. It ought to be one or the other. I guess I thought we (the community) had decided that the contest was for the best scenario designed with PBEM in mind.

Perhaps any scenario playable by two or more civs could qualify, with higher scores allocated to those well balanced between a number of civs?
        I hope it will be at least three. Why? Because you will always need to have a minimum of 2 players to do a PBEM. So that means you wouldn't need to worry about a playable tribe being controlled by AI. (i.e. if you have three playable race, you will need to ensure that the AI will do a decent job with any of the races in case there are only two players. If its 2, then everyone would make an entry with only two playable tribes - same logic as the single player problem.
        Last edited by kobayashi; April 12, 2002, 09:19.
        This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Kob, I feel like I need to punch you.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
            Kob, I feel like I need to punch you.

Comment

It all sounds very intruiging - if a little unformed at the moment. WV, if you are going to reconsider the rules of the competition, might I try to persuade you to extend the closing period end to 1815?

I have a new scenario under development that plays quite nicely in PBEM.

Comment

Originally posted by kobayashi

You have a Bus design contest and you suddenly say that you can design a Ferarri if you don't know how to design a bus. You're criteria is which one drives better. Everyone is going to design a Ferarri.
                Can we have an official reply?

Comment

Just found this cool site with lots of pictures and information about the sailing ships of this period.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
                  The Slim End Of The Long Tail -
                  Kaplak Stream

Comment

The rules will stand as they are. I've made all the revisions i'm going to make, especially since they've already been distributed to numerous designers and sites.

Single player scenarios WILL BE ACCEPTED BUT WILL NOT RECEIVE AS GOOD A JUDGEMENT AS A PBEM SCENARIO. Comprende?

A Ferrari can't go four-wheeling, now can it? So just because you designed a Ferrari compared to an F-150 dosen't make it better.

Comment

WV, can you please 'top' this thread and start a new topped thread for discussions of the history of this period and for people to post links to useful resouces? (like the one Hardjoy just posted )
                      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Case
                        WV, can you please 'top' this thread and start a new topped thread for discussions of the history of this period and for people to post links to useful resouces? (like the one Hardjoy just posted )
                        Good idea And very good site, hardjoy

Comment

OK, those rules (1500-1801) count me out. Colonies is not really a PBEM and is a bit long in the tooth anyway now.

Have a good contest anyway, guys....

Comment

SDC contributions...

... OK, I'm officially into tha thing. Stay tuned, guys!!!
                            "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
                            "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Warvoid, are we allowed to get dls under our code names so we can ask for advice/help on our scens without giving ourselves away?

Comment

Can someone point me to the rules and the results for the previous 3 competitions?

Comment

Working...
                                X