Mac Scenarios/MOD packs/Maps wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Scenarios/MOD packs/Maps wanted

Does anyone have any Mac compatible scenarios, ect that they would like to post on the Mac page? I am thinking about converting some of the popular ones on the ACS DB to Mac compatible versions. Any suggestions? If you are a Mac user please post on the Mac Forum if you have some things to share!

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

I'm working on an Alexander scenario coming, but it's going to be a while. I've got at least three more books to read; if I'm going to do this it's gonna get done right. I do, however, have the map done. It's modified from one I downloaded from Apolyton. I'll need instructions on sending the file; I'm a neophyte at such things.

Comment

Darin at valmont7@yahoo.com was working at converting my 'Gangster' scenario into a Mac format. I've not heard how far it's progressed, however if you're looking for additions, you might like to send him a note(?).

Comment

You and me both! First try sending it (the map file) as an email attachment to JacSamDad@aol.com As long as AOL doesn't reject it for being too big or mess it up out of spite, I'll post it ASAP!

------------------
        Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Actually, we have been chatting about that for a while! Valmont is done with it and tried to email it to me, but the file was corrupt. He is planning on mailing it on a diskette. As soon as I get it and play it on a couple of machines I will post it on the Mac ACS webpage.

I also got a note from another faithful ACS Civ fan, M.Baudoux, who is having scenario conversion problems. I think that I will turn my attention to creating detailed converstion instructions. Evidentally, what is currently available must be lacking in some details. I converted PC Lord of the Rings Ver 4 to Mac with no real problems. Unless there are color issues that I'm unaware of (between being colorblind and not having a PC reference), I ought to be able to repeat the effort on another scenario.

Thanks for your input. Please let me know if you have other suggestions.

------------------
          Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to abandon your 'Macs' and contribute to the elimination of individuality?

------------------
            "When You Kill One, It Is A Tragedy. When You Kill 10 Million, It Is A Statistic"
            -Comrade Stalin
            sigs are for fools who havent said enough!

Comment

If you send me a disk that has the original LOTR graphics from the PC version and the new files you made I can compare the colors for you.

Comment

D. - The lightbulb is burnt out; declare darkness the standard and market Y2K wax luminator upgrade kit. - MS Home Marketing Manual :-P

V. - That's what I get for telling the world that I'm colorblind! Maybe I'll pop the disks in the mail. Have you had time to mail me your scenarion yet?

------------------
                Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

[This message has been edited by MacUser (edited December 29, 1999).]

Comment

Accidental double post please delete.
                  [This message has been edited by MacUser (edited December 29, 1999).]

Comment

MU. -- I stuffed the thing in an envelope last night and laid it out where I would see it this morning -- and guess what, I didn't see it! I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow. There are 2 disks - the second disk contains all the sound files. When you've had a chance to play the scenario, post something here or in the Mac forum.

-- V.

Comment

ALLRIGHT! I'll give it a whirl and post ASAP!

Also, lmstoudt and I may have found the answer to emailing files without corruption: compress with StuffIt prior to attaching the email! With any luck I'll also be able to post his map!

------------------
                      Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

I have converted the following scenarios to Mac gold compatible in my spare time:

AgeofPiracy - Great scenario. Lot of ship to ship combat and unusual twists.
                        Archer - A scenario from the Hodadian awards.
                        Barron - Another from the Hodadian awards contest. Very good.
                        Combat - Don't remember
                        DagorBraggolach - Tolkien - from the Silmarillion. Good, but no comparison to Harlan's LOTR.
                        Foster - Another from the Hodadian awards contest.
                        Moore - Another from the Hodadian awards contest. Good, as I remember.
                        Vikings - A real classic from Harlan Thompson. One of my faves.
                        Sagan - Another from the Hodadian awards contest.

I've posted them at: http://www.cyberramp.net/~lingchih/CIV2_Scenarios/

Feel free to distribute them.

Comment

can you use Fetch to download from an website by ftp (rather than letting the browser do it)?

Kent care to write up a brief discription of your process for conversion? See the recent question on the Mac Forum.

------------------
                          Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

Kent: How do you download them? When I click on the link all I get is a screen full o' gibberish & no download.

Comment

To download the files, simply option click on them, rather than clicking on them. This will bring up a "Save As" dialog box. Save them to your hard drive, then use Stuffit Expander to unstuff them. Move the untuffed scenario folder into your Civ 2: Civilization 2 Files: Scenarios folder, and you should be ready to go.

As for my conversion methods, there is an excellent tutorial at http://civilization.gamestats.com/ci...od_files.shtml

For converting the graphics, I find that Graphic Converter (downloadable at your favroite shareware site) is the only dependable way to do it. Even Photoshop screws up the color indexing. Sounds are a bit more work. You can do it with SoundApp (freeware) or Quicktime player, but you can't batch convert with these, so it takes a while. I use Media Cleaner Pro to batch convert them, but then, I am a Multimedia Designer by trade, so I have a lot of cool tools at my disposal.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X