Looking for units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for units

Anyone know where I can find some good units to spice up my civ2 experience (i've got FW)

Specifically, I'm looking for:

A good Apache Helicopter unit. I've found some helicoptoirs, but they just don't strike fear like a good Apache should

A light bomber. I'm thinking of adding a tech in between flight and rocketry, some type of Improved Flight or something. I'll make that where you get the light bomber.

Jet Fighter. Something not *too* advanced looking, this'll be for between the regular fighter and the stealth one. I'm thinking of having it appear with Advanced flight.

Anyone have an idea for an advanced defensive unit? Something beyond the mch infantry? I was thinking of perhaps an immobile unit, purely for defensive purposes. My only thought is that the AI will go psycho overboard with it, but them's the breaks I suppose.

And finally, any other ideas? I've got 7 more psots in addition to those above.

Comment

Thanks, that's EXACTLY what i was looking for.

Comment

okay, next question... anyone know where i can get a shareware program to edit the units.gif file? I would break down and buy one, but a lack of cash sort of prohibits that.

Comment

If you've got FW then you don't need a gif editor since FW'll convert the gif file to bmp (bitmap) when you use the in-game editor.

You can then load the bmp file in paintbrush.

Works for me.

Comment

I know mspaint will save as .gif files... doesn't it open them too?

The only problem with mspaint is it has an annoying pallete system.

I do ALL of my unit editing in Paint Shop Pro

available at: http://www.jasc.com

The last time I checked the program has a 30 day free trial period which you can use it in full. Afterwards you have to register the program.

Comment

You'll have to edit it.

From People's General... the Apache.
              Attached Files
              "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
              "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
              "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

just so i didn't have to start a new thread...

I got a program to edit the files, but when i pasted a bomber unit in one of the extra spots i kept getting errors trying to strat civ. I kept kitting ignore, and when civ finally started, all the colors were inverted, and none of the units would show up (just their shields). The only thing i could tell was that maybe i took a unit from a .bmp and pasted it in the units.gif. Would this give me the error?

I had fiddled with the rules.txt, but once i replaced the old units.gif the game worked fine, regardless of the rules.

Comment

okay i think its the program i used to copy/paste the new units in with. I tried it again, this time using .gif's, and to no avail, still got the error and inverted colors. Perhaps this program is only pasting the nerw units on top of the old ones, as opposed to replacing the old ones completely. It could possibly be screwing up the game when it tries to read the units.gif file.

Plus when you try and paste the same thing twice, the second one comes out all blurry

stupid pos...

Comment

I had the same problems when I edited the units.gif file with an old version of paintbrush, then saved it as a .gif.
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Working...
                    X