Airforce squads - an alternative to airbases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airforce squads - an alternative to airbases

Airbases can be abused by the human player. In my latest patch I have disabled airbases by removing the Radio tech and included a new unit.

Airforce Squad, nil, 0, 1.,0, 4a,4d, 2h,2f, 8, 0, 3, AFl, 010000010000001

That is:
    Att:4 Def:4 Mov:1 Cost:80

Double defense vs. aircraft
    Sees 2 squares
    Carrier flag on = aircraft can land on the Airforce Squad. If it moves, it does not carry them.

Try it!
    The best ideas are those that can be improved.
    Ecce Homo

Sorry, Techumseh has used that in his Vietcong! scenario. Mabe you should call this a Mobile Air Force Base.

Comment

What has he used? The idea or just the name?
      Ecce Homo

Comment

That's not fair! I had a similar Space Station idea to carry aircraft.
        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I was a forward air base that could be destroyed. It couldn't move though, that's a major difference.

Sorry Mark. Doesn't mean you can't use it.

Comment

Fast_Eddie: Michael H. Nielson also used this in his Gulf War scenario... two years ago. It's hardly new. But that guy was a genius for concepts.

Anyway the difference is that in scenarios the MP can be set to 0 so they don't move, but here, for a mod-patch, you need to be able to build them and than move them. I thought about paradroping them out.
            "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

Andrew
              I've never seen that scenario. Is it any good?

Comment

Can a unit with zero movement be paradropped?
                Ecce Homo

Comment

Fast_Eddie:

Yes.

Ecce Homo:

No.

Oh, alright then...the scenario is amazingly well crafted, well thought out. It used to be on Allard and Andrew's site, but I don't see it there anymore.

Paradropping needs a least 1 MP to be able to activate the unit and use the paradrop function. This is where you need to manipulate concepts. I thought that if you made it a sea unit, with isolated single squares of water on the map where you wanted to drop to, then this paradropping aircraft carrier could be dropped onto those squares and not be able to move. Unfortunately they couldn't be attacked by land units.
                  "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

I''ve seen the computer paradrop units with 0 movement points before. In JP's WW1 scenario, the computer has dropped a "barbed wire" unit into Liege more than once. The unit
                    a. Wasn't in a city.
                    and
                    b. Didn't have the paradrop flag checked.
                    It was REALLY weird.

Comment

To Andrew Livings: Yes, "Gulf War" is working for playing as US but not for Iraqis!
                      When I`ve chosen them, most of MY map was blac, BUT the american one was shown.. ;-(

Comment

I don't think mobile air bases that move acrost land (and water) can move any faster than 1. (helicopter + refuel)

Comment

Again this idea has already been used in the Lord of the Rings Scenario. Frodo is able to carry the ring (which takes the place of a nuclear missle)

Comment

How much time did you spend going through all these old threads?

Comment

Working...
                            X