World Map, second try...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Map, second try...

Since the other thread was beamed away here again a question for a good world map (no giga map) - what is the best, and where can I get it?

Blah

As I said yesterday...

My favorite world map is the one Andrew Livings used in 'Crises of the New World Order'. It's a good compromise between accruacy and playability.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Thanks, will try this map...

(damn, everytime I post here Poly goes down soon after that)

Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
        Thanks, will try this map...

(damn, everytime I post here Poly goes down soon after that)

Well, get out of here then!
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Best Map

Well I certainly think the best map is Real World by me.

Highly accurate and also highly playable. It was the map used in the History of the World 2 game. High reviews.

Slightly bigger than a normal big map, just to give realistic dimensions. I took great care to make it as accurate as possible. But I compensated in other ways. For example the Europe in the original map was greatly bloated to represent the importance of Europe, i made Europe its real size, but I gave it better land.

View here: http://www.civfanatics.com/images/ci.../realworld.gif

Download here:
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Even better map (possibly)

Incredible!

Just added an entry to my Preview of "Road to Empire" on exactly this subject.

Without meaning to boast, I think the map I developped for my scenario has a level of detail unsurpassed by even these fine contenders mentioned here.

If it has any flaws, it's that 1) the pacific is too narrow (a legacy from the original game), and 2) it contains features customized to suit my scenario, which means that Europe is a bit larger on the one hand, and it provides for a new terrain type called "Rich Soil" on the other (see my thread).

Other than that, though, I spent a great deal of time adding rivers and elevations, which I think add a lot to realistically shaping the expansion of civs (many national borders can be explained by these terrain features). I'm especially proud of my Far East, which I haven't yet seen done as accurately.

I've been meaning to post it somewhere, after I've made some minor adjustments to the Afghanistan area (see also my other thread). Any suggestions where?

Comment

OzzyKP, thanks for the hint, I downloaded your map - really great work.
              Blah

Comment

Thanks for the nod. I haven't yet found a map to beat mine, but I'd like to see the one Spanky is boasting about. I took great care to make the map as realistic as possible. Foolish are we who attempt to improve nature.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ready to go!

Well, I did say I wasn't meaning to boast. I guess it would take some time for me to get it posted on either CivFanatics or Mercator's (I'm not even sure if the latter accepts uploads anymore). But if you give me your E-mail address, I'll be happy to mail it to you! Any suggestions for improvement would be welcome, by the way, since I'm using it for my scenario, which is still work-in-progress.

Same goes to you, BeBro!

Comment

Apolyton

Does anyone know what is up with Apolyton?

I have submitted my Real World map to them several times, but they never put it up. Is it some conspiracy against me or what?

I stand by the quality of my map, but I've got no street cred. I'm known in civ2 multiplaying circles but not in the mod community or map community or whatever. So no one cares. *sigh* but hopefully if you check mine out and like it you'll pass it around a bit.

Comment

Try posting your complaint in the Apolyton/Community board.
                      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Well, I for one can certainly recommend OzzyKPs map. Overall, it isn't as detailed as mine is, but still a lot more detailed than anything else I've seen so far. It's got good proportions, and it's nice and large, without being too large.

So, anybody want to see mine?

Comment

You know I do

OzzyKP, your map is the best world map I've seen so far. I downloaded it from civfanatics ages ago and I've played on it so many times I almost know all the best city locations by heart

Comment

Originally posted by Spanky
                            So, anybody want to see mine?
                            Yes, why not
                            Blah

Comment

Need your addresses

OzzyKP and Bebro, I'd be glad to send you the map, but I need your e-mail addys to do that - I tried e-mailing you through this forum, but the program doesn't seem to cater for attachments. Bebro, I tried the address stated on Civ2000, but it apparently isn't valid!

Winterfritz should have received it by now, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X