StarTrek MOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarTrek MOD

A couple years ago I remember playing a Startrek MOD that was based slolely in outer space, it was really good. I can't remember what it's called but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find it again?

Either at the Scenario League or at Civfanatics. The best one was made by Kobiyashi, who is active at both sites. I don't have a link, but it should be easy to find.
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Both of Kobayashi's Star Trek mods (scenarios actually) cand be found in the Spanish Civ Site (Bestonet fantasy section)

Comment

Thanks for your help, I'll take a alook at those sites.

Comment

The biggest problm per se is that the Civ2 engine doesn't adapt well to a Star Trek map, and the AIs get confused quickly. Civ2 maps would either have lots of islands, globs of terrain (which look really bad) or island chains, none of which the AI is really adapt at using....... If only there was a way around this.
          *grumbles about work*

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstrike
            The biggest problm per se is that the Civ2 engine doesn't adapt well to a Star Trek map, and the AIs get confused quickly. Civ2 maps would either have lots of islands, globs of terrain (which look really bad) or island chains, none of which the AI is really adapt at using....... If only there was a way around this.
            I have had these same thoughts... I have seen both the system with clumps of planets which are really land surrounded by ocen tiles (space) which is decent, but not realistic since ships can't pass over planets. I also once say a system which was just all land, this didn't work out much better though. Maybe Civ3 will have the answer? Doubt it.

Comment

Sodaq, thanx for your kind words.

two newer Star trek scenarios worth trying are

1. Star Trek Kappa Quadrant by Willemvanoranje
              2. Star Trek Generations Mod pack by John Valdez

As for the older trek scenarios (pre kobayashi era) that steve JH could have been thinking about, worthy of mention are:

1. Star Trek Modpack by Kevin Gilbert
              2. Star Trek Wars Mod by Venturi
              3. Star Trek TOS Modpack by John Valdez
              4. The two made by Paul Heron

p.s.
              With regard to the terrain debate. I agree that there is no perfect rendition of space. For a purpose built map, I prefer land as space - like in ST Dominion War.

However, the island type of map is generally better to depict space. It takes some experience on chosing the right types of AI units and deciding which islands belong to the same original continent to make the AI work. I think I finally managed to get a good fit with my STAR WARS - INSURRECTION scenario (my second space=sea scenario) also available at the Spanish Civ Site thanks to Jaybee.

John Valdez has pioneered an inbetween concept that uses inner space (land) and outer space (land) so the islands are much bigger.
              Last edited by kobayashi; October 30, 2001, 07:20.
              This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Working...
              X