No announcement yet.

Something new this way comes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh. I hope bumping this topic didn't give anybody any false hopes.
    Apologies in advance if it did.

Any (good?) news on this front yet?

Comment

I am sorry to say that the outlook is bleak because the stupid AI is not able to use units properly... Many testplayers have given me the same feedback, either the number of units overflow as you kill piles of 40-50 German bombers stacked outside the UK cities which are replaced immediately by 80-100 new ones or the AI just stalls and falls down on the job never threatening the UK...
      I am trying to change parameters to prevent the "stacking" and still make the Germans effective.
      It is too bad because the scenario is finished in all other regards, except for this playability issue.
      If I fail to improve it I will release it just because the artwork, ideas, map etc. are worth a look.
      On the other hand, I would hate to dissappoint the Civ2 community with a bad scenario.

Comment

If the only reason is dumb AI, why not release it as a multiplayer only????
        Of course I don't know exactly what you're up to so mabey thats not a good idea?
        Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
        http://john.jfreaks.com
        -The Artist Within-

Comment

It'd be like releasing Red Front or Second Front as a multiplayer game...
          The strategically impaired,
          -Cal

Comment

Oh, this is sad news...

But perhaps you can save the idea for Civ3, hopefully with a better AI?

Or, if the scn includes only Air operations, why not make the planes land units (with airplane graphics)? This would require perhaps a lot of changes, and has also many disadvantages (e.g. these "planes" could take cities then), hmm just an idea...

------------------
            Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
            Blah

Comment

I don't know how important fortresses are in your scenario but you could use them as stackable terrain (only one plane at a time is killed) like in John Ellis Bonaparte scenario...
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

If the AI is loosing horribly stacked units outside British cities, have you considered surrounding at least the most usuable "stacking points" with forts? (If you want to see the effect for land and sea units, see John's Bonaparte scenario where he covered most of the map)
                Or you think this could derange the game, because Xin would -as always- find another application for those forts?
                Or do forts already play a decisive role?

EDIT: Grr, I'm typing not very fast, so Henrik has had exactly the same idea - just faster
                [This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited May 11, 2001).]
                Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SCDARS on 05-11-2001 10:48 AMEDIT: Grr, I'm typing not very fast, so Henrik has had exactly the same idea - just faster

Great minds think alike
                  The only bad thing I can think of is that it will possibly make the bombers too powerfull...
                  No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Hey Nemo... I know a way to fix the problem...

MAKE THE HUMAN PLAYER THE AXIS!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think the stackable terrain idea may work... Especially if I make a house rule about not allowing pillaging. I am also working on making the German "hero" units single turn fighters so they don't get taken out by RAF counterstrikes in the first week of the battle(ie they go home after each turn)
                      Making the Germans the Human Player is not an option for several reasons:
                      Many of the ideas (Production, tech development, unit promotions etc...) are built around the RAF not the Luftwaffe.
                      The Germans are much too strong and would steamroller the RAF unless I switch the stats around.
                      Typically ALL scenarios with an AI are best set up with the stronger and less complex side to play as the AI and the weaker side as the human player. This one is no exception.

Comment

Stacked land square would be a perfect place for a human player to setup bomber-AA combo. AI bombers would just stuck next to them and they would never reach the cities.

Maybe you can try giving AI bombers the 'all as road' flag? Partisans act differently and they tend to spread out.

Comment

I am *bumping* this for Sun Tzu. I didn't know if he had seen it or not.
                          "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
                          "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

Working...
                          X