List of Scenario Ideas that Were Never Used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Scenario Ideas that Were Never Used

Hmm... I've always been interested in intresting way of manipulating scenario files to create a unique effect. I think I've worked out:

-a point to point transporter: basically, you have a "portal" unit, which with an ADM of 0/1/0, would trigger an UNITKILLED event that would

a) move any unit within a 1 square perimeter to a predestained point via a MOVEUNIT action

b) recreate the "portal" unit to be used again.

Would this work?

Anyhow, post your idle ideas for scenarios... what is one man's garbage may be another's treasure.
    *grumbles about work*

no. Simply because moveunit does not affect player controlled units or units with orders already. Only newly created units can be affected by moveunit.

Comment

This wouldn't work. The MOVEUNIT command just tells units to move in their normal fashion (overriding the AI if it wants to move them elsewhere.) Also, it doesn't work anyway.

One interesting idea might be to simulate the need for supply trains to go with armies. You could make every unit an aircraft with range of 0 (this would have to be on a map w/o easily accessible ocean), and then make a supply train ground unit that costs quite a bit to produce and has the "Can refuel air units" flag on. The armies would thus get weaker and weaker the further they went from friendly cities without a supply train, and it would be essential to send at least one with every invading army. This would open up a new strategy of going straight for the enemy's food.

An interesting variation on this would be to make the Supply Train an aircraft with range of 10 or so. The food contained on it would thus only be enough to last troops a few turns away from their home before it runs out (in normal game terms, crashes). Some advances, like Refrigeration, could give you supply trains with a greater range, so your armies can stay out in the field in a far-off land longer.

Of course, this would mess up the AI big-time, so it would be best for multiplayer...

Comment

Damn, I started thread exactly like ths only 10 days ago! Anyway, here's post I started that thread with.

There have been few tricks for scenarios floating around in my head. I am too lazy to make scenarios, so anyone
        can use them if they need. (As if they'd need my approval!)

Anyway. First would be about American Civil War - type scenario. Well, not necessarily that, but it would be best
        example. I've been thinking about best way to simulate Confederacy to get England and France to support itself,
        and I think I've got it.

Trade.

In this case, England and France would both we shown as whole. Bit like in Nemo's American Civil War
        scenario. They both would only be able to build capitalization - at least in start of the scenario. Also, they'd both
        be researching tech called Intervention. Normally they wouldn't be able to research it until scenario ends.
        However, if Confederacy manages to run enough caravans (with blockade runners) to Europe, that would
        naturally stimulate their trade, leading to more science coming out. So, if Confederacy manages to get enough
        stuff to Europe, they'd actually research the tech in time to help Confederacy. That would, of course, mean
        Confederacy getting extra troops from Europe. Also, British would have some units in Canada. However, they
        couldn't move until research of Intervention (English would have Leonardo's Workshop to upgrade the units), but
        after that, US would face prospect of invasion from Canada. Same could be done with British navy.

Trade wouldn't necessarily do it alone, of course. Europeans wouldn't be able to build anything, right? So, if
        Confederacy manages to score victories, they could get techs to make Europeans able to build libraries,
        universities and wonders to stimulate science. I'm not sure if they'd actually do that, but if they did, this model
        would become even better. Likewise, if Union scores victories, Europeans would get loads of useless
        technologies, which would slow their research down.

Another idea is about arms trading. One of those Israeli scenarios already had one application of idea - both
        sides had Arms trader unit, which could, once in turn "buy" (attack) unit, which would then be transferred to side
        who "bought" it. My idea, however, has been developing itself for some time. It includes allowing negotiations
        with foreign powers, and modifying tech exchange. Instead of technologies being swapped, bought and sold, the
        foreign power would have "Arms". These, when gained by side buying them, would cause new stuff appearing to
        them via events.txt. This would allow the foreign power to gift the buying power with "Arms", for sides to possibly
        swap "Arms" (one side could have loads of useless tecnologies with high point value, making foreign power
        want to share technologies), or buy them with money (like in regular Civ: "Give us 200 gold and we'll give you
        Writing" would change into "Give us 200 000 dollars and we'll give you 1000 Tanks", with 1000 Tanks being the
        name of the tech". And if spies are involved, these "arms" could even be stolen. This would, of course, involve
        lots of reworking of game.txt, but if done right, could be really cool.
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Orient Express

The objective would be to build a railroad from Paris to Constantinople.

-Every terrain square contains a corresponding air unit
          -Engineers can both build railroads and attack air units
          -An engine is a high power attacker with low movement points(requires railroad) used to "take" cities
          -Connecting to Rome, Madrid, Munuch, etc. gives bonuses like extra engineers or trade engines

------------------
          St. Leo
          http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
          http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Recurring unhappiness

In South Korea, with the fall comes student protests. For my scenario I wonder how I could model it such that around September unhappiness increases or happiness decreases in all South Korean cities. Since you can't take away techs (can you?) I can't think of a way to do this. Since this has other applications in other scenarios, has anyone thought of or can anyone think of a way to do it?

Comment

Eternal: Hmm... how about big load of useless units, that would lead to happiness penalty, being created in September, and being somehow disbanded in spring? I can't think of any other ways. It would require S. Korea being republic, of course.
              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

How can I trust the computer not to disband them before I destroy them? Unless I use ToT, in which case I can make units that it can't disband.

Comment

The easiest way to make people get unhappy at a specified time is to set up Wonders that cause happiness (like the Gardens, the Cathedrals and such) and then give the S. Koreans a tech that makes them obsolete.
                  ----------------------------------------
                  EchoPapa's scenarios are available at the ACS Mac Site
                  and
                  Visit the Institute for Naming Children Humanely at inch.stormpages.com

Comment

How about an economical simulation? Like military units being merchants, caravans or whatever? The goal would be to establish as many contors (conquer as many cities) as possible?
                    Follow the masses!
                    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

7 ; City size for first unhappiness at Chieftain level
                      14 ; Riot factor based on # cities (higher factor lessens the effect)

------------------
                      St. Leo
                      http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Whatever happened to that "The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union" scenario?

------------------
                        The strategically impaired,
                        -Cal
                        The strategically impaired,
                        -Cal

Comment

St Leo, thanks! Of course! Too bad it will require me to change rules.txt, but I think the ceasing of activity and diverting of attention to student protests might be a big factor in this scenario.

But I have one more thing I need help with: How can I simulate North Korean tunnels as a method of getting units past the DMZ and into the ROK? The map of Korea is quite big, though perhaps not big enough to accomodate all 20 of the tunnels (that number is a government estimate).

The only possible thing I can think of is putting little cities with "Airports" on each side that allows "airlifts" to the other side. But the drawbacks of this are obvious.

Comment

Well, the two ways I see are either using railroads and/or airports, or just "creating" the units that pop out of the tunnel, using events.

-KhanMan
                            Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
                            -KhanMan

Comment

Or how about a scenario that plays entirely on land in the 20th century (civil war or interstatal war) using railroads as air routes? Airplanes, of course, are invisible and so.... this somehow has to be developed but I think that is a provocating thought.
                              Follow the masses!
                              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Working...
                              X