No announcement yet.

New scenario released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew, I playtest your scn but i can't play the final version on my PC in MPG???? I don't understand? Somebody help me?
    [This message has been edited by VietMinh (edited November 02, 2000).]

Comment

Andrew, my game freezes up and only shows the title.gif when I try to play this scenario.
      Please Visit:
      http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

Actually, now that everyone mentions it, I too couldn't play the newest version of the scenario file on MPE. I played the lastest test version fine, but then I couldn't load the newest scenario file, remember I e-mailed you about that Andrew? It does freeze, so I had to just go back to old scenario file. I guess I could try to send it to people if they want it.
        Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Okay, I heard.

I've just spent the last 3 hours updating the original playtest version to the latest version using MGE as the editor. You can now download this file from http://members.nbci.com/HistCiv2/crises5.zip (42Kb). Sorry about that. I have MGE but never thought to check it.

I'm stumped about the MGE problem. It wasn't hacking the file that did it as the file was already hacked when it went to playtesting. I started to update the last playtest version using FW, starting with changing all the scientists to taxmen as the first stage. So I saved this, loaded it in MGE, and it crashed . So I then used MGE to update it. I guarantee it works.

For you MAC users, could you please download http://members.nbci.com/HistCiv2/test.zip (361Kb) which is a collection of saved games during development. Then report back to me on which you can load and which you can't.

Another thing about using MGE is that the menuend.wav actually works, and so does the Find City command.

BeBro, I had originally included two helicopters, one modern unit and one future unit. The trouble is I never really know how to use helicopters effectively or even what the idea for them in Civ2 is. If they're just gunships I don't see that they should be able to capture cities - they should act more like air units. If they're transports for infantry, like APCs then why are they more vulnerable to fighter attack - they should act more like ground units. So I got rid of them and added more attack jets.

------------------
          The Historical Civ2 Site
          http://members.nbci.com/HistCiv2/index.htm

"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
          "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by BeBro on 11-02-2000 09:48 AM
            One thing i miss in this scn are helicopters. I´m not an expert in modern warfare, but I think helis are very important today, especially in those peacekeeping missions.

On the other hand, realistic helicopter ranges would only be one or two spaces. I generally assume that helicopters are atached to ground units, and make up a significant fraction of thier firepower

Andrew, I think that you have a typo in your .exe code. The exe looks for usaevents, not usevents, so it won't automatically load. But, it's easy to rename the file, so no worries, and congratulations for such a good senario

------------------
            If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error
            -John Kenneth Galbraith
            [This message has been edited by Case (edited November 02, 2000).]
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

The new MGE edition seems to work perfectly on the Mac... must have just been the MGE conversion issues, not the file hacking. The only problem remaining is the color palette (the dialogues appear as a garish yellow on blue), but that's no big deal.

Great work as always!
              ----------------------------------------
              EchoPapa's scenarios are available at the ACS Mac Site
              and
              Visit the Institute for Naming Children Humanely at inch.stormpages.com

Comment

I suspect the reason that many of us can't play this scenario is because Andrew hacked the .scn file, as he mentioned in the readme. I, too, would love to take a crack at this (Andrew's "Europe 1939" is what inspired me to become a scenario author myself), but the Mac version of Civ2 can't load hacked .scn files without crashing. Any chance of a non-hacked version?
                ----------------------------------------
                EchoPapa's scenarios are available at the ACS Mac Site
                and
                Visit the Institute for Naming Children Humanely at inch.stormpages.com

Comment

I`d just like to say that this scenario is the best I`ve played in ages! There is a distinct lack of modern day world scenarios, which makes this a welcome change to all the WW2 and ancient scenarios that seem to be coming out nowadays (no offence to the people that make those scenarios, BTW).

What I like about this scn is that it`s packed with truly innovative features. The peacekeeping missions which actually require co-operation between at least two allies are excellent, as is the new tech tree. I like the struggle that the EU has to go through to emerge as a fully integrated power with it`s own military as well as economic system. All in all, an excellent scenario. Keep the blue and yellow colours BTW, I reckon they`re pretty cool.

Comment

way to edit the messages! That just adds so much to the atmosphere.
                    Administrator at
                    www.quantum9.com
                    Visit the forums!
                    www.quantum9.com/forums

Comment

I loved this scenario!

After the MGE problem was fixed, I tried it out again, and loved the gameplay. The way you have looked at modern times through the lense of civ2 is truly great.

On a side note, I hope you aren't offended, but I have been playing with terrain.txt as normal, since your improvements, while beautiful and ground-breaking, are a little too overloading.

Best Wishes,
                      KhanMan
                      Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
                      -KhanMan

Comment

Just use marines to attack a rebel city from a ship and you'll get tons of money. The ship will get the marines back and rest a turn, then you can do it again. By rotating two groups of 40 marines you'll get 10k per turn

Comment

quote:

By rotating two groups of 40 marines you'll get 10k per turn.

Not for long, O exploiter of loopholes. I'm making some amendments and you can be sure there are two tweaks I'm definately making: 1. Destroying Rogue infantry will only yield 100m instead of 250m. 2. Beefed up Rogue infantry to compensate for their "green" status. Both of these will have the effect of making Rogues a destabilising force rather then a cash cow, and you'll have to use those marines to stop the Rogues making headway in other regions.

On that theme, does anyone have any little improvements to suggest? Also, does anyone know if the French operate an airbase in Senegal? I thought this would be good for airstrikes in Liberia.

Anyway Xin Yu, that may be good, but it's not the most profitable use of resources. Try playing the Europeans and get those Freight units to Tokyo: cash bonuses of 2500m each. I thought of a great strategy: if you take Cuba before the Americans you can use that as a base to airlift Freight units into, and then simply ship them up to New York. Fantastic cash bonus and huge trade per turn. Kick start that economy!

Edit: sorry Khan Man. Which file?
                          [This message has been edited by Andrew Livings (edited November 06, 2000).]
                          "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

Working...
                          X