CivCity released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivCity released

Version 1 of CivCity is now available for download.
    CivCity is a program to help you set cities up in the
    scenario file. Learn more about it at http://users.sgi.net/~harden/utils.html

Because some of the feedback I got during the Beta test, version 1 looks somewhat different than the Beta Version. Please note that it doesn't do Test of Time files; I have yet to crack the code for that.

"Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
    --

Gothmog: thank you, thank you, thank you. This is fantastically wonderful.

1. How easy would it be to do updates if we find out anything more? And should we tell you?

2. Are you thinking of making any more "hacking made easy" programs like this? Say, for the map data or leader information?

PDG.

------------------
    "The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
    "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

Will it work for ToT?

Comment

Not yet but I've been badgering him about making it for ToT

Comment

I playtested it for my Antigonos scenario... It works great !!!!
          "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
          "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
          "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Yeah it worked great for Napoleon (which incidently will be realsed soon (albeit without the multiple events.txt files )) as well, another wonderful addition to the scenario designers tool kit
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Andrew, I have no new projects in mind. I plan only to maintain CivCity and CivTweak.

If anyone could tell me how to locate the map data in a Test of Time file, I could include ToT in CivCity. In versions prior to ToT, the map data was in a fixed location; in ToT it's in a variable location and I don't know how to find it.

------------------
              "There is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp."
              "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
              --

Comment

Hey Gothmog,

I totally forgot about your things you wanted me to playtest, but I remember sending you a substantial amount of feedback on your scenario. My apologies for not testing this out, but it looks great so far.
                Please Visit:
                http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

Gothmog, these are great programs! In your analysis of the civ files, have you run across anything that would allow changes to the size which triggers a change in the city graphics? Eg. small city until size 4, medium from 5-8, and so on? It would be a great help for scenarios if we could control that parameter.
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Techumseh;
                    I have not seen anything that would allow you to control the city graphics. However, tribes with the industrial advance need one more population to display the next city graphic. Example pre-industrial cities use the first graphic for populations of 1-4; post industrial cities use the first graphic for populations of 1-5.
                    Polaris;
                    I'm just glad you're still with us.
                    --

Comment

Gothmog:
                      Are you sure that TOT doesn't use static position for Map structure?
                      I'm pretty sure that you can find the map section at 0x74cc from the beginning of SCN/SAV TOT file, i used this info in CivConverter and it worked well with all scenarios (I heard you! Problems of civconverter are caused by other things...).
                      BTW Have you discovered how TOT saves infos about transporter sites?

Angelo
                      [This message has been edited by Angelo Scotto (edited October 10, 2000).]
                      "If it works, it's obsolete."
                      -- Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Gothmog: As you may have noticed from the "Windows 2000 & Batch Files" thread, those of us with NT versions of Windows are unable to use delevent.exe to strip events out of Saved game files. Is that a feature you could add to CivTweak? Based on Allard's comments, it should be a fairly straightforward piece of programming (said the non-programmer!) If it's doable, it would be appreciated!
                        To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Ok, i solved the mystery and found that we both were right;
                          You were right because Map section is no more static and i was right because the reason of this is that Tot programmers added a dinamical Transporter sites list just before map structure (and this means that civconverter still believe the address is static since in original Civ2 scenarios there are no transporter sites).
                          Anyway, the transporter list starts at 0x74c8 with a DWORD containing the nr of transporter sites placed on maps and continue with 7 WORDs for each site; so, the correct way to check out Map section address is:

1)Read Nr of sites at 0x74c8 (Remember, a DWORD);
                          2)Go to 0x74c8+(2*2)+(7*2*Nr) address

If all goes well you'll be at the beginning of the Map section.

NOW I WANT A TOT VERSION OF CIVCITY!!!

Angelo
                          "If it works, it's obsolete."
                          -- Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Me too!
                            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Angelo,
                              By a word do you mean 2 bytes, and a dword (doubleword?) 4 bytes? It also seems that the location of the map header depends upon the flavor of ToT you're playing, such as original, sci-fi, and fantasy.
                              But maybe that is all explained by this transporter site stuff.

Once this mapheader location question is settled, the next question is how long the map section is. I am thinking it must be at least 4 times (4 maps) as long as classic civ, but again this might vary according to ToT flavor. What did you find with the original flavor?
                              --

Comment

Working...
                              X