Best Historical Atlases Ever Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Historical Atlases Ever Made

You will probably have to find a local website for purchasing these, but all the atlase s by Colin McEvedy earn my seal of approval (I have had direct contact only with the Medieval and Ancient ones, but the rest follow the same brilliant format.) Unlike most historical atlases, these use a slideshow-style series of the same region over time, thus giving a feel for what really happenned.

------------------
    St. Leo
    http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
    http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
    [This message has been edited by St Leo (edited July 02, 2000).]
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

I agree totally, I love the Atlas of Midieval European History.
    "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
    -OOTS

Comment

Making my book wishlist total about DM 2600 ($ 1300)
      Follow the masses!
      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

What a coincidence. I'm looking at Colin McEvedy's Atlas of Medieval History right now as I read this thread. Yes, I have both his Ancient and Medieval ones, and they are excellent. However, I have numerous historical atlases, and some other good ones are:

The Times Concise Atlas of World History

The History Atlas of Europe by Ian Barnes and Robert Hudson

as well as any of the Penguin Historical Atlases, especially those of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome

------------------
        GeoDan, Apolyton Geography Expert
        AKA The Inimitable Dr. Donut

My E-Mail: Dannyboy@unbounded.com
        -GeoDan

Comment

BTW, are you using internet maps, too?
          It would be more thrifty, I think (refering to Stefan's remark)

I just found a nice (very comprehensive)interactive map with greek colonies at
          http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/atlas?sites=Athens

I would like to know some more map archives, especially about the ancient times...
          Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

I got this from someone on Apolyton, but who I forget...anyway here it is: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/M...ollection.html
            Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

The best historical atlas I've come across is the (full) Times World History Atlas. It has the best range of maps for European scenarios I have ever seen. It also has a wealth of background material- charts, graphs and text. It is quite possible to build a scenario just on what's there.

Comment

My goodness Stefan, that's an impressive total.

I also like the Penguin Atlas of Russia, obviously.
                -OOTS

Comment

I dunno, the Colin McEvendy atlases are good, but hardly the best out there. Their big problem for scenario creation is the lack of cities. I do like the occasional "towns and trade" pages that show where the big towns were, but these are too infrequent and the detail lacking.

I own two historical atlases: The Hammond Atlas of World History, and one called the Atlas of World History by John Haywood. The Haywood atlas also has periodic snapshots of political borders, but does it for the whole world.

Generally, I find the historical atlases out there to be lacking. Most of them are out of date, for instance the Times one, which haven't updated the data for most of their maps for decades, despite having new editions all the time. And there just aren't that many truly different atlases out there (though one finds the same info by a given company repackaged in different ways). With all the new historical discoveries going on all the time, the altases haven't kept the pace.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Harlan, I find the historical atlases out there to be lacking. Most of them are out of date, for instance the Times one, which haven't updated the data for most of their maps for decades, despite having new editions all the time.

The Times new edition is the first one use computerised maps rather than hand drawn. Also there are a set of pages on the modern world, which must be new info.
                    [This message has been edited by Michael Dnes (edited July 06, 2000).]

Comment

McEvedy wrote the _Atlas of Population History_ in 1978. I've not been able to get my hands on it but it sounded promising in regards to city populations.
                      -OOTS

Comment

Hmm... i have the Garzanti "Universal history atlas"; it's a useful source for me.
                        "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                        "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
                        "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Atlas of Population History? wow, I'd love to have that atlas!
                          -GeoDan

Comment

Not to mention that there are some very interesting Atlasses from DTV (Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag-obviously available only in German):
                            Atlas of Geneanology
                            Atlas of urban developement
                            Atlas of Astronomy
                            and several Atlases on natural sciences. Interesting stuff, indeed.

quote:

My goodness Stefan, that's an impressive total.
                            For some impressive books. All the 9 volumes of the "Cambridge history of Iran". Damn expensive, and forcing me to save my allowance money for over a year

------------------
                            Follow the masses!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
                            -Mao Tse-Tung
                            God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
                            much screwed that whole idea..
                            -Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
                            Follow the masses!

Comment

Speaking of reference materials, does anyone rely heavily on any of the Osprey titles? I have quite a bit.
                              -OOTS

Comment

Working...
                              X