No announcement yet.

A Red Front Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

then the land units would move hella slowly, and the tanks would go just as quickly as the infantry.

the ammunition could be used by anyone, and wouldn't it be dumb to see a ship with infantry ammo?

Roads would be useless, and it would basically much everything up. So while it's an idea I've thought of quite a lot, it's not exactly the most practical.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fast_Eddie on 05-06-2000 01:26 PM
      then the land units would move hella slowly, and the tanks would go just as quickly as the infantry.

The infantry would have the "all treated as roads" ability on

quote:

the ammunition could be used by anyone, and wouldn't it be dumb to see a ship with infantry ammo?

House rules...

quote:

Roads would be useless, and it would basically much everything up. So while it's an idea I've thought of quite a lot, it's not exactly the most practical.

I know, it's a problem

------------------
      "There's one more thing you men can say when it's all over and you're home once more. You can thank God that twenty years from now when you're sitting by the fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you what you did in the war, you won't have to shift him to the other knee, cough and say, 'I shovelled **** in Louisiana.'"
      -General George S. Patton addressing his troops before D-Day landings June 1944
      Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

I doubt that the AI would be able to cope with those restrictions. How many times do you see subs carrying cruise or nuclear missiles?

BTW Nemo used this method in a limited way in his American Civil War senario, with mortar boats that only fired shells with a range of one. Its a good idea for limiting the use of powerful weapons, but would probably stuff up senarios when used on a large scale.
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I just checked http://members.xoom.com/ and to my surprise there is no user named redfront! This means that if any of us go to that site and register as redfront we'll end up with a good name for the red front site. Any takers?

Comment

Wait, wait. I would allow an entire Red Front section to be run off the Art of War, with a new layout that I have ideas for and much more. Personally, I think it would work out. And, if the Art of War is hosted off ACS, the Art of War will obtain its own forum.

Any takers at all? As for strategies about Red Front on the Art of War, we can simply post reference to them at the Red Front section, and perhaps make the Red Front section contain extensive strategical guides as opposed to sized strategies.

Whoever wants to run the section (that is if people like my idea) can e-mail me, and I can get them my FTP information if it all works out?

Just a thought.
            Please Visit:
            http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

And I believe Alex retired temp., correct?
              Please Visit:
              http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

The spin-off ideas for Red Front sound terrific:

1) Red Front (but playing the Germans this time - with events, AI, etc programmed for the Russian side)

2) The Battle of Kursk - largest tank battle in history (about 4,000 tanks involved).

3) Soviet drive to Berlin

4) A scenario just about the Stalingrad pocket with Von Paulus' trapped 6th army.

5) Guderian's drive on Moscow

6) The siege of Leningrad

7) The Battle for Stalingrad (with the Factory Works, etc)

8) The Russian-Finnish War in 1939

9) The Russian-Japanese battles in 1939

The ideas are limitless. I hope Captain Nemo and others will pick up the challenge and continue producing a series of excellent scenarios

------------------
                Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
                That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
                [This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited May 30, 2000).]

Comment

has anyone ever thought about doing a redfront conversion for TOT. I would be more than happy to do the unit and city and terrain conversions. And there are all those extra slots for units too.

Comment

Not to mention another idea: The Soviet Strikes against Japan in Aug '45, right before it was all over.

Comment

Whoa, has anyone bothered to ask Nemo about all this yet?

Also, I personally do not think that this is the best idea because it will overuse the new units that he has created thus far.

Still, these scenarios would be fun.

Thanks,

------------------
                      John Petroski
                      Vudak@aol.com
                      John Petroski
                      PetroskiJP@hotmail.com

Comment

Well in case anyone wants to know Barbarossa comes from Fredrick barbarossa who was Holy Roman Emperor in the 13th Century and battled the pope for supremarcy in Europe and is regaurded as a German national hero, hope that helps

------------------
                        Cockney used to be schizophereic but we'er ok now
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                        X