How to destroy cities.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to destroy cities.

Using events to destroy cities is easy I thought. Just change the terrain to grass or hills or something like that. It doesn't work because the city is there. I saw in a Punic War scenario (forget which one) that when the Romans captured Carthago, the city was put to the torch. The city disappeared by changing the land under it. I used multiply events to change the land to ocean but when the city is captured, it disappears and you are promted to the city screen but the screen is for another city. I've also had a black screen. Anyone know whats going on here. Is there a way to destroy the city without going to the city screen?
    Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

A city in the new "Seeds of Greatness" scenario is destroyed by Events. Changing the underlying terrain to ocean works every time, with no unwanted side effects. As for changing from one type of land to another.....that definitely kills units, but I don't know about cities.
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

How about changing it to ocean, and changing it back to land in the same turn?

To solve the problem of going to the city screen...well, how about having a unit in Carthage representing it`s defense? Make it fairly tough. Once this unit is destroyed, Carthage will be destroyed but you won`t have set foot in the city.
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

I agree with Paul except that the unit should be fairly weak.

Comment

NO!

Do not change it to ocean first. There is a horrid Civ2 bug related to this that I heard about over in the ToT forum.

What happens is unlike land terrain, changing the underlying terrain to ocean will keep the city in the memory, but "destroy" it. The result is that you can't conquer the world because you can never capture this ghost city.

With land however, it would work.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. I think I can fix the problem by using the blank screen. What would you say to having a blank screen pop up when you destroy a city. To get the blank screen, you repeat the event. Capture city, change terrain to ocean. Repeat event and it should be a blank screen.

DarthVeda, are you sure about the ocean? In the Hannibal scenario (I think its the scenario from CSC) Carthego city was destroyed by changing the terrain to grassland or hills but not ocean. It created a ghost city of Carthego. You couldn't click on it but the name of the city was still there in the terrain. You could however click on the lists of cities and open it from there. It still was in the memory as its population was in the total size of the tribe.
            Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

Working...
            X