The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union

At the suggestion of Mao, I have decided to continue my thread on this super-scenario I thought of here, at the Scenario League. If you have any ideas pertaining to this scen, please, POST THEM! If you want to see some previous ideas, or find out what this scen is all about, then check out the 'I Need Some Ideas...' thread on the Civ2 Creation Forum.

Now, later today, I will make a decision as to whether or not I should make it with ToT and multiple maps, or the regular FW. Any ideas on this, or anything else???

Thank you.

------------------
    "When You Kill One, It Is A Tragedy. When You Kill 10 Million, It Is A Statistic"
    -Comrade Stalin
    sigs are for fools who havent said enough!

I say FW, but I'm biased...
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

I think you should use whatever you believe you can handle best. It's no use what so ever if you make it with something you have not mastered fully yet.
      Better a really good scenario for FW that keeps one in front of the screen for hours than an at best average scenario for ToT.

But it is your call. Use what suits you better.
      The Lost Geologist Blog
      http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

Okay, I just now got back from the mall with ToT in hand. I'm gonna load it up, check it out, read a little on the ToT forum, and my final decision will be made soon.

I'm still listening...

Comment

First off, ToT doesn't have an events editor. Second, I really think FW is better. Your call.

------------------
          Nick Crown (Greek.)
          Yasou!
          Nicholas Crown
          http://forums.quantum9.com/cgi-bin/f...=10&LastLogin=
          The War of Civilization - An online Civilization text game.

Comment

Well, after reviewing my options, I think I'm going to have to go with FW. Editing the ToT files looks pretty complicated, and with the time I spend trying to figure all that out, I could be designing this scenario. I'm pretty sure I could make it (with help from you guys, of course) work with just FW.

So that's my final answer. Fantastic Worlds. All ideas, opinions, suggestions regarding the Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union should be made with me using FW in mind.

I really wanted to use those different maps, but oh well...

Comment

Frankly I think you can do a great scenario in either case. With some 'mega' ideas in mind, there are some things that ToT will lend itself to better - the 'flag and mask' set up does a lot for any 'quest' style game (for instance, if cities X, Y, and Z were taken then text "..." and "take technology", yadda yadda) - taking the Jules Verne approach one step beyond, while things such as the collapsable tech' tree branches could be used for aspects such as the winding up of the Cold War or the KGB.

But this is all 'after the horse has bolted' kind of stuff, and you need only turn to some of the more complex scenarios produced in '99 with FW to see what can be done if you really put your thinking cap on.

Perhaps when the converter is fixed, you can get the best of both worlds? Start with FW, and whack in ToT modifications later?

Comment

You see, that's the problem. I have no idea what Cam was talking about...

Comment

Cam, that is what I'm doing with Teramore, FW (actually MGE) at first, then ToT later. It is a good plan.

------------------
                  Nick Crown (Greek.)
                  Yasou!
                  Nicholas Crown

Comment

Then maybe I'll do that...

Thanks, guys.

Comment

So today I've just started making TRAFOTSU in earnst. I've got a map, I've divided the scen up into four parts, and I've designated 7 civs (eight if you count barbs):

-Soviets
                      -North Americans
                      -Chinese
                      -East Europe
                      -West Europe
                      -Unstable Countries (or something like that)
                      -Neutral (stable countries)
                      -Barbarians (Whites for 'Revolution' part, Independant States for last part)

I'm now working on the first part, Revolution, which starts in october 1917 and ends with Lenin's death in January 1924. I figure the soviets could start with one city, Petrograd, and work from there to conquer lands from the whites, but I'm not sure if this would be accurate. Any comments? Questions? Suggestions? Post them.

Comment

Djugashvili, so far, you have been very active in the Civ2 community. Your scenario sounds great.

------------------
                        Nick Crown (Greek.)
                        Yasou!
                        NOTE: The people in the Apolyton forums are all extremely annoying, especially Mr.Te...*ahem!*
                        SERENITY NOW!
                        Nicholas Crown

Comment

First off, ToT doesn't have an events editor.

Who used it?

Second, I really think FW is better.

The ToT engine has some nice touches like flipping units.:-)

------------------
                          St. Leo
                          http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                          http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

What the hell means TRAFOTSU???

So it will begin with the October Revolution of the 24th 10.(6.11.)-25th 10.(7.11.) 1917?
                            You know that at this time WW1 was still going on, right? So the Reds would have to make peace with the German Reich.
                            Will you include the troops of the Generals
                            Krasnov and Denikin in the south who fought against the soviets and the Whitekosaks and Chechoslovaks in the East?
                            If you want I can name you the important generals and the intervention forces from the west...
                            The Reds would have to conquer quite a lot. To be modest...
                            Make sure to give the player enough timne.
                            The Lost Geologist Blog
                            http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

Hendrik, you sure seem to know your world war one history. Yeah, I realize that was going on at the time, and I'm mulling over how to simulate a possible treaty of Brest-Litovsk if the player so chooses. I don't really want a strategic WW1 simulation, but if you could name those generals and their operations, that might help some ideas take place. Also, I plan on doing 1-2 month turn intervals. 1 month would be too long, but would 2 months a turn be enough time? I think so. Thanks you for your particpation.

btw, TRAFOTSU is an abbreviated version of this thread's name.

[This message has been edited by Djugashvili (edited December 28, 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                              X