RED FRONT 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RED FRONT 2

This is a continuation of the thread "RED FRONT ROCKS"... It was getting too long and unhandy.
    Also Red Front, version 2 is complete and will be transmitted to CSC within a few days.

Jim:

I think most of your concerns are addressed in the new version. The Guard Tank regiments/divisions give the Soviets a lot of help to conquer Germany (Get 2 new Guard units, extra tough T-34/85s every time you kill a Tiger II in the last 2 seasons of the war) also Soviet planes are cheaper, Germany progressively loses it's airforce, Romanian troops and SG units when appropriate progress is made into Germany.
    The only way to prevent Germany from producing a unit that was already available before is make it unavailable in the rules.txt file which means that Germany would lose certain capabilities on a certain fixed turn (Upon loading one of the new rules files) if I make the unit obsolete with a tech, the AI immediately disbands it. That's what happens when Romania surrenders, all Romanian troops are disbanded and since all New Romanian troops appear in Bucharest (By event) and the conquest of Bucharest is the trigger for making the units obsolete you should never see another Romanian soldier in the field!

Regarding the Su-152, if I give it the "ignore tank defenses" flag you will produce it but the Katyushas then lose their value and you won't produce them.

At the end of the game I was producing:

* T-34/85s because they are cheap and have the best movement.
    * JS-2s because they are defensively the best unit and can knock out any German tank in the open.
    * Su-152s because they are as powerful at killing the tough German tanks as the JS-2s and a lot cheaper to produce (Defensively they are only so-so).
    * The Katyushas because they are the best at knocking out the city defenses.
    * Red Army because they can be produced with very few shields and can keep conquered cities under control.
    * Heavy artillery to deal with the toughest cities but I produce it near the front and it requires Labor brigade support (Build fort next to city to be conquered).
    * Yak-9s to protect the units stacks from the Luftwaffe
    * IL-2s because they "clean-up" every German unit that wanders out of their cities without bothering my main force.

Mao:

I think, but don't remember for sure, that version 1 does not have the Polish uprising. A lot of these features are new with version 2. Conquering Warsaw in 1944 or 45 in version 1 would just have triggered the Germans getting the "Volksturm" technology and starting to build the units with Panzerfaust and the "Fortress Germany" wonder.

New features in version 2:

Many new events in 1943-45, relating to the fall of Germany.
    Problems with Germany "cash overflow" fixed.
    Many new unit graphics, some new units.
    AI more aggressive in 1941-42, more likely to reach historical targets.
    Improved playability.
    New sounds imported from war movies.
    Many new Soviet cities, including some key historical battle locations (Orel, Petsamo...)
    Siege mortars and Panzerfaust unit statistics improved so AI will use them effectively.

SOON COMING TO CSC - APOLYTON HOSTED SITE!

Overdrive:

The AI gets 3 "Karl" 60cm mortars through events when Narva and Perekop are taken. If these cities are taken by the Germans multiple times in 1941-42 there could be more "Karl" units. If you saw more, it probably means that the AI started building units before the "Karl" is obsolete (Capture of Warsaw in version 1). I only saw the 3 units I expected (One got disbanded in Luga when I captured Warsaw), but the AI had an incredible amount of units left, even after I got Warsaw (somewhere around 400!) The units started being built when I emptied some of the AIs key cities of units and dropped him to 200. Berlin, Bucharest, Ploesti and Danzig had all in excess of 30 units each, but all infantry and a few 88s. When the AI started building I encountered stacked 88s and panzergrenadiers in evry city.

How did you like the scenario? How would it rate in a Scenario League review?

Comment

30/30, if not, I'll get EvC's stormtroopers to hunt you down
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Nemo, 30/30, you completely shamed my recent scenario project

Plus, you still need to level Dresden at some point (perhaps when germany gets Volksturm)

Comment

DarthVeda:

Thanks for the compliment. I certainly did not set out to put anyone to shame... And I am sure your scenario is very worthwhile. Your ideas certainly are good!

Does the "change terrain" command with the original terrain attribute kill all units and remove all improvements on the terrain?

I was reluctant to make Dresden dissappear completely BUT if the above is true I could simulate allied bombing raids by changing the terrain around several German cities in 1944-45. Many of them are industrialized, have suburbs and farmland and those attacks would destroy all the improvements especially the "Industry" which accounts for a lot of the German economy.

What do you think? The Dresden Bombing raid could take out 4-5 industry and suburb squares around Dresden... If I had another terrain spot I could even have a graphic of bombed out ruins and reduce all ressources of the square to 0!! This would in turn cause the city population to drop because of starvation!! This is brilliant! (Unfortunately, I don't have a terrain spot free...)

Comment

When you change terrain it certainly destroys all units, but I do not know about terrain improvments. I used this in my Moscow scenario and in my Earth 3000 entry. A pollution-free nuke if you have the events space.
            "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
            -OOTS

Comment

Use your minefield terrain. It has a "devasted" look and the only thing it produces is a red shield.

Comment

"Devastated"--sorry.

Comment

I found a bug in Red Front: The Orthodox cathedrals and regular churches don't improve happiness... It turns out they are not operational if you haven't discovered Monotheism? That's the first time I have encountered that... I revised the tech tree and brought out MT (It was used as some German flight advance) and renamed it Theology. Everything works now... It also means that there is a major collapse/unrest in the Soviet cities when Minsk falls.

The new version is even more difficult than the last. The Germans make very quick progress in 1941 and are the gates of Leningrad and Moscow by September. I figured a way to get repeated move commands in each turn and immediately move newly created units that by definition have no "prior" assignment. (Use a unitkilled trigger with a createunit + a move unit both in the same IF statement) New German units are created and charge forward right away. For Narva/Luga/Novgorod it meant curtains in August! Leningrad surrounded and under heavy attack all winter of 1941-42!

Many other details have also been worked out. I made some Soviet Pillboxes that block the roadways over the Don so the Germans first have to capture certain (home) cities before they can cross the rivers... otherwise I get these mad German tankers wandering the Ural mountains in the spring of 1942! This is also a effective way to move the Germans forward without dropping them in cities... Same as you suggested Jim for Minsk, but with a stationary, indestructible unit, holding the create-unit spot until it is disbanded by capture of a nearby city. The human player can't mess that one up by moving the unit...and since it can't move I don't think it can be disbanded or reassigned to another city?

This is one piece of work! I hope you all enjoy the scenario enough to justify all these hours!

Comment

Don't worry captain, I can safely say that you have turned this into the best scenario in the world.

Changeterrain removes all Units, Cities, Terrain improvements, and previous Terrain in a square when it is used.

A side note: Don't use it in the same turn on the same square that you intend to place a unit. Civ runs this event first if you're using "Turn" as a trigger.

Comment

Bah, a rare DV doublepost!
                      [This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited December 02, 1999).]

Comment

Even more difficult? I haven't tried the first version yet but I do have some doubts about the adequacy of my skillsin Civ2. Oh well, I'll play it anyway.:-)

------------------
                        St. Leo
                        http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                        http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Hmm, I am waiting for the promising v.2 of Red Front to drop a review at Scenario League.

Comment

I am playing a test of the final version right now. The historical accuracy amazed me!

I gave it my absolute best effort to hold back the Germans on Deity level and the Germans were EXACTLY at their historical locations by winter 1941 except for:
                            A Soviet pocket holding out at Bryansk because I consolidated that position with many of the best units from Southern Ukraine... But it fell by May 1942.
                            The Germans took Tula South of Moscow despite a massive effort trying to protect it (Here they got one city too far)
                            They didn't take Kerch on the Crimean peninsula (I think historically it was taken in 1941, retaken by the Soviet in the 1941-42 winter and retaken again by the Germans during the spring of 42).
                            The Finns again took all Soviet cities in the Kola-Karelia sector except for Murmansk.
                            Tikhvin fell again in the winter of 1941-42 so Leningrad was again isolated but with the new German siege technique it's very tough to hold it if you don't get minefields built between it and Narva, which wasn't able to. So far it's cost me a dozen AA guns, and at least 20 other units and it's still just hanging by a thread in the fall of 1942 (Ends each turn with only 1 or 2 units left...)
                            But the most amazing was 1942 as the German summer offensive again rolled along historical dates. Sevastopol held till July against 2 Karl mortars and dozens of German bombers...It cost the Germans a lot but despite my best Civ2 technique I could just not hold it! Kerch also fell in June so the Germans are pushing on Novorossyisk in the Caucasus region in October 1942. Moscow was under attack again in 1942 but the hardest push was against Voronezh, Serafimovich, Stalingrad and Rostov. Knowing exactly what to expect I prepared for holding those towns especially Rostov which I knew was difficult to hold. I had it fortified with 6 AA guns, 6 NKVD troopers, 4 La-5 fighters + a dozen assorted offensive weapons to strike down the attackers (T34s and Katyushas) + 10 Red Army troops to take the casualties. No way the AI was going to win that fight... Well guess again! By August 1942 Rostov fell and the Germans tanks advanced are into the Caucasus!

This is one tough scenario to win, there are no give aways here!

Comment

A STUPENDOUS scenario, Captain Nemo! Superb! Will there be a page on Alex Mor's site soon?

Captain Nemo:

Could you kindly assist me in an issue. I am looking for some cities for "War for the Colonies" my upcoming scenario. Read post called "Hello All." Can I use some of your city icons? If so, thank you, my friend. The scenario shall be excellent.

------------------
                              -James Otis, protester of the writs of assistance.
                              Down with the Townshend Acts!
                              -James Otis, protester of the writs of assistance.
                              Down with the Townshend Acts!

Comment

Working...
                              X