For King and Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For King and Country

Ok, I have decided to start on a set of scenarios about the history of England and Great Britian, currently titled: For King and Country.

I think the first scenario should be post-Roman Empire, what do you think?

I will need a lot of help, as most of the scenarios I have done are very bad.
    Vote Democrat
    Support Democracy

Would anyone have a good warrior from the 400s A.D.
    Vote Democrat
    Support Democracy

Comment

I'd go with post Norman invasion. That was the last time Britain was conquered.

Comment

Maybe, but, considering my, and the internet's, absolute lack of knowledge, when, after the Romans withdrew, was England unified?
        Vote Democrat
        Support Democracy

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
          I'd go with post Norman invasion. That was the last time Britain was conquered.
          That was the last time Britain was conquered - provided you ignore a couple of times during the Wars of the Roses and the glorious revolution!

I'd start with the arrival of the anglo saxons. There are some good dark age units in the scenario about the Roman Empire - Justinian the Great I think it's called. It also has some good dark age ciry graphics.

RJM at Sleeper's
          Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

England was never fully unified until Norman conquest. As I remember it, Alfred the Great was one of the most influential and strongest kings before 1066, but he also had Canute and a few other smaller kings to deal with. Alfed ruled over a good portion of the Anglo Saxons, but not all.

Comment

The Anglo-Saxons arrived in the 500's right?
              Vote Democrat
              Support Democracy

Comment

The Anglo Saxons (et al) arrived in the late 400s (IIRC). If you believe Bede, they were called in by the Romano British as mercenaries and decided it was a nice place to settle. Between then and the arrival of the Normans, most of Eastern England was conqured by the Danes and the Vikings held some teritory around York (Jorvik). Are you planning to include Scotland, Wales and Ireland?

RJM at Sleeper's
                Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Maybe, I am not so sure for the beginning. In later scenarios, I will have to.
                  Vote Democrat
                  Support Democracy

Comment

OK, England was unified in 1066 by William the Bastard/Conqueror of First

Wales Was Pacified bf Edward I (Longshanks) in about 1250

Scotland was pacified (but not fully), by Edward I, later.

Scotland continued to be a problem until 1602, when James I of England, and the VI of Scotland came to power.

Scotland formally joined England in 1701.
                    Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

how about a scenario at the time of the seven (conveniently) kingdoms?
                      > INSERT RANDOM COMMENT HERE<

Comment

LOL!

Scotland only joined the union to get access to English beer!

Grand to see a potential scenario series about Britain!
                        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                          England was never fully unified until Norman conquest. As I remember it, Alfred the Great was one of the most influential and strongest kings before 1066, but he also had Canute and a few other smaller kings to deal with. Alfed ruled over a good portion of the Anglo Saxons, but not all.
                          England had been unified for many years before the Norman Conquest, I think under one of the kings of the House of Wessex, Edgar, who unified the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Wessex, Mercia, Northumbria and the Danelaw in the mid 10th Century. Alfred reigned over most of a unified Anglo-Saxon kingdom, with the exception of the Danelaw in parts of the North and East; BTW, he was king in the last part of the 9th Century whereas the Danish king Canute took the throne of England in about 1015 or 1016 IIRC.

When the Normans invaded England was a unified state under Harold I.
                          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Originally posted by GoPostal
                            OK, England was unified in 1066 by William the Bastard/Conqueror of First

Wales Was Pacified bf Edward I (Longshanks) in about 1250

Scotland was pacified (but not fully), by Edward I, later.

Scotland continued to be a problem until 1602, when James I of England, and the VI of Scotland came to power.

Scotland formally joined England in 1701.
                            Scotland was an entirely separate kingdom until the accession of James I/VI in 1603. It was still officially a separate kingdom until the Act of Union in 1707, not 1701. Sorry to be a know-all but I did Tudor and Stuart history at A-level, so these useless facts are burned into my brain
                            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Yeah, I haven't done this period since Year 7, and I don't have to for GCSE.
                              Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

Working...
                              X