Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playtest - Atomic Eagle: Part 1

Atomic Eagle: Part 1 - Hand of the Reaper

Yep, it's finally ready to be tested, scrutinized, and disassembled.

If anyone wants to playtest please post your email address or contact me and I will get the files to you someway.

Please read the Readme.txt file included with the zip format to get a feel at what I want to touch on.

Let me know of any problems, suggestions, or bugs you have found!

This scenario still has some growing to do, so please provide some insight on how to make it better!

Gimme!
    -rmsharpe

Comment

Check your PM box

Comment

I'm going to bed, but feel free to post stuff. I'll have a look in the morning.

Comment

gopostal@theartofwarfar.net
          Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

Be back with some feedback soon!
            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Harry, hi all fellow playtesters,

after starting the scenario as the Axis (I was still an atomic eagle-virgin...), I guessed that it was meant to be played by the Abwehr (which is logical). Make sure to get this into the starting screen, pointing you in the right direction would be a + for first-timers (you only "really" know after the "sexual orientation" screen ).

Before continuing the testing, I've got a few questions:

Am I supposed to play the nowarm.sav or the .scn? Global warming happens quite often.

Is it the Axis civ that is supposed to take Georgetown then Caracas?
              After many try-outs in emptying first Georgetown, the Axis never occupied the emptied town, but once managed to occupy Caracas after I emptied it before G-town.
              Not being a scenario-designer (but an avid player), I can only suggest placing strong Axis units in the tiles around before mentioned cities at this point.
              Thus, I couldn't yet finish the 2nd mission...

This was played at the initially proposed level of Oberst.

The Ore-mission wasn't a breeze but very playable:
              At first I was getting my stacked units killed by Fireflies (3 restarts ).
              Once Khartoum had 2 inhabitants (probably because I took my time getting there) and thus was not destroyed. It was occupied by my opponents (because I needed my boys elsewhere...) and the game was lost.

By the way, the title.gif is awesome and the units look really crisp.
              If you want help finding the right sounds, just yell.

Hoping for other feedbacks in this thread soon (in order to be able to finish the 2nd mission ), I am leaving you because I need to stock up on booze n'candiez for NY's Eve. I still can't believe nothing's left from Xmas...

Cheers,
              Last edited by Ceteram; December 29, 2003, 10:48.
              Ceteram Macedonicus
              (got the 'Macedonicus' part as a title for playtesting Bernd's Imperium Romanum)

Comment

Harry,
                Firstly let me congratulate you on a totally great-looking scenario, even at beta level, this just rocks so much!

The compact terrain graphics really remind me of those superb strategy war games on the PC from the early 1990s!

I was sucked in as soon as I started to play, the 'no city till you sieze one' commando system you are using is truly inspired.

Psst!
                A typo to fix; "Sleep is for the Weak - Advance!"

Anyway!
                I can back up the things that Ceteram discussed.

Yes I will agree, this is VERY playable, and is nail-biting fun to wait for the enemies moves!

I love the event when a certain famed SS paratrooper appears!

I think the event controlled capture of Caracas might be made easier by a unique unit (perhaps a leader if possible) that triggers a crop of nazi/axis units to appear?
                Would this be do-able?

Although this is early days, Atomic Eagle will take it's place as one of the truly innovative scenarios!
                It's really that cool!

I'll play some more and check back in soon!

Comment

The transport ships could have a nice shield.

Also, the allied 'para shield' is clipped in some views.
                  The nazi cruiser's blue dots that control the shield placement need alligned.

Love the units, best WW2 jets ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceteram
                    Hi Harry, hi all fellow playtesters,

after starting the scenario as the Axis (I was still an atomic eagle-virgin...), I guessed that it was meant to be played by the Abwehr (which is logical). Make sure to get this into the starting screen, pointing you in the right direction would be a + for first-timers (you only "really" know after the "sexual orientation" screen ).
                    Ack! I forgot the Atomic Eagle.txt file that is supposed to give a history and instructions! I'll upload it now.

Am I supposed to play the nowarm.sav or the .scn? Global warming happens quite often.
                    Darn, I thought the hex editing would carry over from the save. I'll have to give rmsharpe a ring.

Is it the Axis civ that is supposed to take Georgetown then Caracas?
                    Yes the Axis Allies. If the Abwehr took the cities they would exist come Chapter 2, which is not supposed to happen. Mainly this is a "help the AI" mission. Be sure to take Georgetown first, then Caracas. The airbase you have your units based on should be far enough away from Caracas to make Georgetown an easier target.

After many try-outs in emptying first Georgetown, the Axis never occupied the emptied town, but once managed to occupy Caracas after I emptied it before G-town.
                    Not being a scenario-designer (but an avid player), I can only suggest placing strong Axis units in the tiles around before mentioned cities at this point.
                    Thus, I couldn't yet finish the 2nd mission...
                    Ok, will do, I was afraid of that. I've only been through it a few times to make sure the events worked right.

This was played at the initially proposed level of Oberst.

The Ore-mission wasn't a breeze but very playable:
                    At first I was getting my stacked units killed by Fireflies (3 restarts ).
                    Once Khartoum had 2 inhabitants (probably because I took my time getting there) and thus was not destroyed. It was occupied by my opponents (because I needed my boys elsewhere...) and the game was lost.
                    Hmmm, ok, I will have to stunt that growth. Or possibly just eliminate it altogether.

By the way, the title.gif is awesome and the units look really crisp.
                    Thank Mr. Sibling for his awesome art work! Curt really went all out to meet my initial design.

If you want help finding the right sounds, just yell.
                    Definately! I am putting together a folder right now, so send what you want to contribute.

One thing I do remember leaving out is that I need to add more money to the civs and make researching tech easier. I will update the files in my upload folder and post when they are ready!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Curt,

Gotcha, I'll see what I can do! Let me contact rmsharpe and fix a few things then I'll upload again.

Comment

Yeah Curt! Can only agree (btw: YOU better stop stealing my time with your scenarios, or...nevermind, they're GREAT! ).
                        I guess gfx are the last thing you fix in a scenario, but some shields look strange, amongst those mentioned by Curt, the naval transport.
                        *pshhh*:
                        It's Leipzig and Wehrmacht.

Keep the party going...
                        Last edited by Ceteram; December 29, 2003, 12:29.
                        Ceteram Macedonicus
                        (got the 'Macedonicus' part as a title for playtesting Bernd's Imperium Romanum)

Comment

Btw, You included a describe.txt. Are you going to use it? If that's the case, I've got some corrections and things to add (in accordance with your scenario and techtree).
                          Last edited by Ceteram; December 29, 2003, 12:24.
                          Ceteram Macedonicus

Comment

Ok, this scenario file needs to be hex edited. I didn't know if the scenario file needed to be edited after the root save file was to. Whoops! Don't download it unless you can hex out the global warming flag to stop global warming from happening. I have PM'd rmsharpe about it.

And a big thank you, again, to rmsharpe for his help!

As soon as I get the updated scenario file I will upload a new zip with the immediate past changes.

@Curt - I'll work on the hero unit for Caracas. The events file is a bit stuffed, but I think I can work something in.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Btw, You included a describe.txt. Are you going to use it? If that's the case, I've got some corrections and things to add (in accordance with your scenario and techtree).
                              I'm going to try and use it. Problem is I'll have to sit down and think of something to write! If you have anything you'd like to add please be my guest!

Comment

Working...
                              X