Sad announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by our_man
    But if it's any consolation, there's no shortage of designers in the SLeague who have suffered the same fate. People that design scenarios have far more unstable computers than average.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Apolyton and CFC should set up a fund to buy new computers for their members
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I'm very sorry Jim .

I hope you survive this sad moment in your life .
      Greetz, Ramses

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish
        With all the hours that are put into scenario design, you should backup your work. Certainly, always backup before upgrading an OS.
        Originally posted by Case
        I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Apolyton and CFC should set up a fund to buy new computers for their members
        I don't think it is about oldness of a computer. In fact the most faulty comp is a new one - first month of work of a computer stands for a testing period.
        Not to make periodical backups is a crime . Not everybody is caught, but punishment is usually very severe.
        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

I once read an adage about comments and computer code. It's like religion - everyone says it should be done, everyone says one way is the best, and very few actually do what they profess. I suspect the same is true about backups. I just realized my only off-site backup of El Aurens is several versions old.
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Civ2 doesn't run under Linux now does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
              It's like religion - everyone says it should be done, everyone says one way is the best, and very few actually do what they profess. I suspect the same is true about backups.
              Not a truer word spoken. Only this morning I suffered from the same type of device driver problem that I mentioned earlier - the first time since early in the year. Of all the thousands of files that exist on my HD, ten or so were corrupted - and guess what - three were Civ2 bmps with units I'd made during the last couple of weeks. No backup during this time. Aarrgh! Fortunately I posted some in the Showcase forums - so I do in fact have a few backed up here at Apolyton.
              Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                Civ2 doesn't run under Linux now does it?
                Actually it does, but you need to run it through WINE ( sort of an 'emulator' you can use to run windows app under Linux) to run it.

Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.
                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                X