Transport aircraft in Civ II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transport aircraft in Civ II?

How you guys would develop the role of a transport airplane (Like the Hercules) or a transport helicopter (like the Chinook)?

I was thinking about the trade role (bringing supplies to the frontline cities) and treating all squares like roads (to simulate the fly), but they won't fly over the sea...Is there another way to implement it?

Thanks

Yes. Make a paratrooping ship! It will carry as many land units as it's transport capacity allows. If it lands in another city or on an airfield, it can then be used again. If it lands on other land terrain, it can't move again - unless it's next to water, in which case it will move it's full movement allowance (must be at least 1) on the water. It is a ship after all!

BTW, aircraft carriers and subs can also be made to paradrop, and will carry their normal cargoes of planes and missiles.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Nice tip, techumseh!

I'll keep that one in mind too!
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

techumseh!!That sounds really interesting! A transport aircraft which only can 'land' on airbases or cities...and can carry ground equipment...JUST WHAT I NEEDED!! Thanks!

Comment

Glad to be of service. The idea was pioneered by Captain Nemo, who used it in Second Front for allied gliders.

I've since experimented with it in a couple of unfinished ToT scenarios; as Huey's in Indochina War and as Martian aerial battleships in Barsoom. It works fine, although of course the AI just uses them the same way as it uses regular paratroops.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

"Barsoom"?

tell us more about this piece of work tech.
            "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
            Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Well done Techumseh

(I didn't remember second front )
              "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
              "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
              The Spanish Civilization Site
              "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Originally posted by Palaiologos
                "Barsoom"?

tell us more about this piece of work tech.
                It's based on the series by Edgar Rice Burroughs (the author of 'Tarzan') It's early 20th century sci-fi set on Mars. A number of more or less human civs (red, yellow and black Martians) contend with each other and with the barbaric green martians as well as numerous fierce beasts which roam the deserts and mountains. The planet is dying (of course!) and the remaining water is distributed from the polar caps to the cities by means of canals.

Here's a screenie:
                Attached Files

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Yeah, considered this before, does it work now?

I've thought about using land units for aircraft transport before for some scenarios, and found it used in LotR.

Frodo is the only unit that can carry the ring (air unit).

Comment

Er, why can't you just use the airports? Do you just not want veteran planes to be built?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

It's based on the series by Edgar Rice Burroughs (the author of 'Tarzan') It's early 20th century sci-fi set on Mars. A number of more or less human civs (red, yellow and black Martians) contend with each other and with the barbaric green martians as well as numerous fierce beasts which roam the deserts and mountains. The planet is dying (of course!) and the remaining water is distributed from the polar caps to the cities by means of canals.

Sounds cool, looks cooler!

Will it be released in the near future?
                      "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                      Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

the concept is tested and working. Thanks again, techumseh

Elok, I don't want that airlift feature of the airports. I need a useful unit which can carry a determined amount of ground units, land in airfields, unload the equipment, and then fly back home to load more equipment.

The enemy air force will be able to shot down these transports with their units manually

Comment

Can paradropping 'ships' capture unoccupied cities?
                          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Yes, paradropping ships can capture unoccupied cities.
                            STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pablostuka
                              Elok, I don't want that airlift feature of the airports. I need a useful unit which can carry a determined amount of ground units, land in airfields, unload the equipment, and then fly back home to load more equipment.
                              The enemy air force will be able to shot down these transports with their units manually
                              Well, it sounds like the only difference you're adding is a trade between being able to move more units per turn and having a range-time limit/adding the bother of micromanagement. What you'd wind up with is something like Colonization without the Custom House, and that was easily the most irritating and dull stage of that game. If these planes have no military aspect, what's the point of making them units?
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X