Playtesters Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok
    I'm not much of a Conan fan, but this sounds interesting. Any chance of a FW scenario coming out? I don't have MGE.
    Elok,

Did you try to run it? I thought MGE and FW were fairly compatible, but I'm pretty new to all this.

Exile,

I just realized that "The Hyborian Age" is included at the end of "Red Nails" but I haven't read it recently. Will do so. I have relied mainly on a few paperbacks (with maps) and the Darlange web site. I wasn't sure whether people cared much about geo-political accuracy in a fantasy scenario like this, but you have convinced me to do more homework. The scenario does already have Gunderland (as a city) and Luxor, btw.

I am undecided about adding Turan and Koth because of the work involved at this point. And because I imagine a scenario in which quests slightly outweigh conquests.

Argos could be replaced by Koth, but I'd prefer to include one somewhat-friendly naval power for gameplay reasons, and Koth has no coastline. Likewise, Turan dominated Zamora, so Zamora could be replaced by Turan. But I think the Yimsha area (from "People of the Black Circle") will be a high point wrt gameplay and it just doesn' t seem Turanian to me. So, I'm still thinking.

If it's no trouble, please send me your map. Maybe if I keep mine as is, I could still make a second scenario, which is more conquest-oriented and includes all the major players.

Thanks again for the ideas!!

Comment

No, FW flips out if it tries to run MGE scenarios, I've tried. It whines at you that the version number of the scenario is higher than Civ2's, and refuses to play it. I guess I should download the program that converts MGE scens one of these days. I have no idea where to find it though.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

No, FW flips out if it tries to run MGE scenarios, I've tried. It whines at you that the version number of the scenario is higher than Civ2's, and refuses to play it. I guess I should download the program that converts MGE scens one of these days. I have no idea where to find it though.
        here:

download the 5 MGE zip's
        "Peace cannot be kept by force.
        It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Er, I meant a prog to modify MGE scenarios so they work for FW. I can't use that upgrade patch because
          A. I lost my Civ2 CD a loooong time ago, so I need to be able to play without it, and
          B. The computer I play Civ2 on isn't connected to the internet, and apparently it's not equipped to connect to a zip drive. Come to think of it, the CD-ROM drive is broken too-my PC is pretty gimpy. Anyway, I'm limited to downloading files 1.44 MB in size or smaller, saving them to disk, then transferring them to my own comp.
          So basically what I need is a scenario converter, not a civ upgrader. I thought there was a program like that out there somewhere.
          Thanks anyway.
          1011 1100

Comment

Er, I meant a prog to modify MGE scenarios so they work for FW. I can't use that upgrade patch because
            A. I lost my Civ2 CD a loooong time ago, so I need to be able to play without it, and
            B. The computer I play Civ2 on isn't connected to the internet, and apparently it's not equipped to connect to a zip drive. Come to think of it, the CD-ROM drive is broken too-my PC is pretty gimpy. Anyway, I'm limited to downloading files 1.44 MB in size or smaller, saving them to disk, then transferring them to my own comp.
            So basically what I need is a scenario converter, not a civ upgrader. I thought there was a program like that out there somewhere.
            Thanks anyway.
            aha I see.. well I've never heard of such a converter, only from ToT to MGE.
            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

No prob

If you'll send your email in a PM, I'll send the map along.
              Lost in America.
              "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
              "or a very good liar." --Stefu
              "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

I lost my Civ2 CD a loooong time ago, so I need to be able to play without it, and

A CiC, FW, or ToT CD would also work IIRC.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

First of all: your scen definitely has that "one more turn" syndrom we all grew to love in Civ II!

I find something disturbing: all the ships can carry AIR units, but not others! Is that on purpose? (as nobody reported it, I thought it might be deliberate...)

It is really penalizing not being able to use the ships to "bypass" some areas...
                  Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                  Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                  POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                  LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Cyrion,

Thanks for both comments! I want the scenario to feel like normal civ2, with some important quests mixed in. Harlan Thompson's LOTR scenario manages that very well (with just one major quest). I'm finding other good examples all the time.

The ship problem is a mistake of some sort, which I didn't know about, and will fix. Maybe when I added the ability to carry air units, that cancelled the ability to carry land ones (?). The naval units should be important by the end of the scenario, and they definitely need more work !

Comment

Some veterans may need to correct me here, but I was under the impression that land carries got top priority, i.e. if a ship could carry three ground troops and air units, the ground troops could move with it but the air units could only refuel over it; the ship would move on without them.
                      1011 1100

Comment

If you take a look at the rules.txt file, you'll see that NO ship has the n°4 role: sea transport, which s funny has all ships have a size for their "hold" defined (actually, count Trocero does too, but I guess THAT is an error )! I think that's what need to be changed to allow them to do it!

Are all ships supposed to carry units? (just so that I can modify my rules manually and continue my testing)
                        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Yes, all are supposed to be able to carry both land and air units. If that's not possible, they should be able to carry land ones [about 3 each].

I wasn't expecting players to use ships much until the end because of 1) lack of tech, and 2) the seas are supposed to be too dangerous. This aspect of the scenario is really not working as intended yet, but hopefully it won't ruin the playtesting. Of course, ideas on this are welcome!

Comment

I guess I should download the program that converts MGE scens one of these days. I have no idea where to find it though.
                            Look at Mercator's utility site (link from Great Library): the author of the converter is Angelo Scotto.
                            Last edited by SlowThinker; August 22, 2003, 21:02.
                            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Working...
                            X