Italian provinces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian provinces

Would anyone per chance know the respective capitals of the "provinces" in Roman Italy(Republican times)?

Liguria: Genoa?
    Etruria:Pisae?
    Umbria:
    Picenum:
    Latium:Ok i know that-Roma.
    Samnium:
    Campania:Capua?
    Lucania:
    Apulia:
    Calabria:
    Brutii:

I hope i am not forgeting any.

And by the way what is the name of that province that includes the Fucinus lake?To be more specific this particular province borders Umbria,Picenum to the north, the adriatic to the east, Etruria to the west and Latium and Samnium to the south.
    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

There may be something of use amongst this lot:

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Unfortunately no gareth....
      Bollicks.

The name of the mysterious province btw is Sabines.
      "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

hi ,

, what about the cultural attach of the nearest italian embassy , they tend to have loads of info on italian and roman history , ......

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Roman Provinces (North to South)

I know that those cities were the most important in those regions but I have to confess that in most of the cases I guessed which could be the respective capital. Hope it helped though!

Gallia Transpadana - Mediolan(i)um
          Venetia - Aquileia
          Liguria - Genua
          Aemilia (Gallia Cispadana) - Bononia
          Etruria (Tuscia) - Florentium, Volsinii, Pisae (could be)
          Picenum - Ancona
          Umbria - Spoletium (I guess)
          Sabini/Aequi - Corfinium (I guess)
          Samnium - Beneventum (Maleventum)
          Latium - Roma (though Rome itself had an adminitration on its own - Praetor urbi)
          Campania - Cumae/Kyme
          Apulia - Brundisium
          Lucania - Paestum/Posidonia
          Bruttii - Rhegium or Thurii/Colonia Copia

Most of these cities I guessed because i´t is really difficult to tell from the maps I have at home. I need to go to my university though it is my summer holidays and I will have a look at the Institute of Ancient History if I could get additional information. I have a lot of maps here at home but I lack a scanner to provide you with them. I will see what I can do anyway.

Attached you find a map of republican Italy that maybe prove useful too.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Stephan.
            These will have to do.

No need hurrying to your University.

Thanks!

Comment

Maybe you find something also on this website:

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X