Units in intro text.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Units in intro text.

As you all know you can make units apear in the intro text.

The method i have been following to this day is: take a text that already has a unit appearing in it(such as the intro of the basic WWII scenario), edit the text to my liking and saving it. The unit that appeared besides the text was the unit that was last selected before saving the scenario(f.e armor in the WWII scen.).

Now, i am pretty sure that there must be some kind of proper way to achieve the above and i am unaware of it.

Does anybody know?

And what of the unit? Is there a way to choose a specific unit slot?
    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

No matter what file you are using (even if you use the txt from the ww2 scenario) the only way to get a unti to show up is to have the scenario start during the pratagonists (sp?) turn and have objective victory turned on. The unit that is active will show up in the text.
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

The protagonist (warmonger) of the scenario always owns the displayed unit that the scenario was saved on.

Hence, if I saved my scenario on the German's turn,
      and they are the protagonists, and if I saved while a stuka unit was selected:

The stuka (or any other unit in the civ's army) will be shown on the title text....
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

One can use this in a tricky way to display barbarian units as well, if one saves the scenario during the barbarian turn when a certain unit is active.

That way you can actually have a unit that's not part of the scenario show up in the intro text (needen't be a "unit" actually as long as it's in the units.gif )

I usually edit saves as the barbarians anyway so it's not that hard to do

Comment

thanks
          "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
            I usually edit saves as the barbarians anyway so it's not that hard to do
            sorry for the threadjacking, but how do I do that?
            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Just reveal the barbarian map.(through the cheat mode)

Comment

No matter what I do, I can't get this unit-in-introtext-thingy to work. How does one determine who the protagonist is? -Isn't that always the player-controlled civ, whose unit is selected?
                The Slim End Of The Long Tail -
                Kaplak Stream

Comment

Cheat menu-->Scenario parameters-->edit victory conditions-->set objectives protagonist

Comment

Thx Amazingly it works!

But what does it mean? -is that the only civ objectives will count for or what difference does it make game-wise?

The playercontrolled civ when the scen is saved will still start the game, right? -I've never changed the protagonist in any of my scenarios, so I wonder what difference it makes ?

Is it possible to make the AI play smarter making them the protagonist of a scenario? -will it for example display a more apt tendency for going after an objective victory?
                    Last edited by hardjoy; June 9, 2003, 21:12.
                    Kaplak Stream

Comment

If you have no pratagonist, objective scoring will be calculated depending on how many objectives YOUR civ has taken.

If you have a pratagonist the score is determined by how many objectives the PRATAGONIST has taken.

So anyone but the pratagonist has to ensure that all objectives are in non pratagonist hands...

Incidently the way to have no pratagonist is to set it to "Barbarians", so if you have a barbarian unit flashing during the first turn in a no pratagonist scenario that means that unit is shown without everyone measuring themselves vs. the pratagonist civ

Comment

Protagonists are also generally more agressive.
                        I tried this once in my 3d Punic War scenario. First, I had the Carthaginians set as protagonists, and the Romans did nothing. Then, I set the Romans as protagonists, and the first thing they did was kill everything in their way.
                        Follow the masses!
                        30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Do AI civs tend to ally against the protagonists?

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
                            If you have no pratagonist, objective scoring will be calculated depending on how many objectives YOUR civ has taken.

If you have a pratagonist the score is determined by how many objectives the PRATAGONIST has taken.

So anyone but the pratagonist has to ensure that all objectives are in non pratagonist hands...
                            I still don't understand this

You mean one can get an objective victory if the protagonist has achieved all its objetives.... i.e. the Holy League played by a human player will win the scenario if Spain (protagonist) takes all of England, even though they themselves have no objective cities? -or is it some other way around?? -will anyone but the protagonist lose the game, if the protagonist achieves its objectives?
                            Kaplak Stream

Comment

After looking at the victory screen, I begin to understand a little.... but this mean, if I read you correctly, Henrik, that everyone elses objective will be to make the Spanish lose? (in the case with the Armada)

Might be some advantages to doing things this way, but if it means that allies will break their strong alliances just because the protagonist ally gets close to its objectives etc. this is a drawback.

How does one make a barbarian unit flash? -or is this a mac thing?
                              Kaplak Stream

Comment

Working...
                              X