Senario creation sugestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St Leo
    Very Sci-Fi/Fantisy (I will be usless at it as I dont whatch it)

Nothing wrong with that. Very sci-fi/fantasy stuff isn't watched; it's read.

Roman Empire

Why not cover one of the Roman/Sassanid squabbles over Armenia?
    Not a bad idea. But the problem is that both mights shall be relatively big in comparison to the disputed area; the sollution would be to make the scn dedicated to this subject only, with a map containing only Armenia and nearest lands, and it would have to be really good scenario to be enjoyable
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

There's a big gap where a good English Civil War scenario should be. And Fairline spent so long making those graphics...

Seriously, if you're new to scenario creation you may want to start off by improving an existing scenario. Jumping in at the deep end may be a tad ambitious.
      "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

I am a not that new at this. OK, this will be my 2nd full scenario creation, but I have been teaching myself how to use graphics, events.txt and others over the last year, starting with simply changing Rome.scn's road mulitplyer (you know the standard one on Civ II disc)
        I have been playing scenarios for 2 years now.
        I think I am not that bad at it now. I do like this idea of a Civil War one. But I will have to look around to see if there is one allready around. If I can find a good one allready, i will not bother.
        How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

I once thought about a scenario based on ancient irish mythology, which describes a series of invasions of the island by various races who fought over it-loosely describable as giants, fairies, malevolent giants and finally humans. It's well worth reading up on even if it is a load of mythological hogwash; if you like history you'd probably love celtic myth. Or the tain bo cuilagne, which takes place later in their tales, which describes the invasion of ulster by the other five counties, ostensibly over a single bull but as an actual end result of many factors and past mistakes. It would be tough, but either aspect of irish lore would be steeped in historical feeling to the point of making a good civ scenario. Just a thought. I love celtic tales.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
            ...by the other five counties...

ahem... four...
            "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
            "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Sorry, typo...I think. I'll take your word for it.
              1011 1100

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing an accurate Arthurian scenario. In accurate, I mean the true moral of the story stays. Most people don't know that the book was intended to unite the Pagans and the Christians in Britain. Infact, Arthur was a Pagan himself and he married Gwenth, a Christian. It seems everytime I hear/see this tale, the moral of uniting two peoples has been lost. If you want more details, check out a book called "Mists of Avalon"
                Regards,
                Helmut von Skibjack

Comment

I read the book. It was very good and very clear indeed.
                  Alexandr Yopov, Commander of the Murmansk front in the Red Front democracy game. Fighting for the glory of our marchal and the Rodina.

Comment

I would like to make something like those two, but i have aboslutly no idea of the period in question. I feel that I should stick with real periods for now. I simply do not have any experiance in scifi/fantasy. The problem with Arthour is to trim the truth from the lies of the entertainment industry. And anyhow, I remenber reading that the 'original' story of king Athour was written by a Monk called something of Monmouth during the 13th Century, and if the story has any truth in it, it would of been passed down through several centuries, which allows for much changing. This monk has proven that he had put in some extra stories, and there is many factual errors, such like that he notes that Arthour died when he was 100! Well, I will read the book you suggest. Is it still in print in the UK?
                    How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

The mists of avalon was just tasteless wiccan propaganda. Marion Zimmer Bradley has a perverse habit of turning every story she retells into a feminist mystery-religion rant. The "original" tale of arthur was the product of a welsh bardic tradition, not a book, and had no such intent. It told a good story. The real unison of Christian and Pagan in the Welsh tradition lay in the philosophical concept of the circles of existence(the concept of human existence as a progression of self-improvement through circles proceeding from nothingness and chaos towards the divine).
                      1011 1100

Comment

Marion Zimmer Bradley has a perverse habit of turning every story she retells into a feminist mystery-religion rant.
                        Yes, that's true!

Comment

The mists of avalon was just tasteless wiccan propaganda. Marion Zimmer Bradley has a perverse habit of turning every story she retells into a feminist mystery-religion rant.
                          It wouldn't suprise me; Most Wiccans I know are feminists themselves. I only know what I know by word of mouth. I never actually read the book, just heard about it. Besides, I wouldn't know, I'm a Pagan. However, Merlin was a Druid, and if he raised Arthur then Arthur had to be a Pagan as well.
                          Last edited by Helmut von; May 14, 2003, 15:26.
                          Regards,
                          Helmut von Skibjack

Comment

No, Merlin was a minor deity called Myrddin, originally, which was latinized as Merlinus because merd- is the latin root for excrement. It was a Welsh story-druids were largely an Irish thing, and Welsh culture came into its own late enough in time that paganism was essentially stomped. The high Welsh culture that spawned most of the legends, e.g. the Mabinogion, is early middle ages.
                            There's also the fact that historical Arthurian times came circa 450-500 AD. By that time Christianity was a sufficiently dominant force in the isles as to squish most pagan sympathies. For a good celtic reconciliation of the Christian and prechristian worlds, check out the meeting of St. Patrick and Keelta of the Fianna, in Irish lore. Please don't rely on Bradley's delusions; that does a disservice to all parties concerned.
                            At any rate, while Arthur was conceived with Merlin's help, in no version of the story I've ever heard of was he raised by Merlin. Not even Mists of Avalon. Simple truth, bud.
                            1011 1100

Comment

Wow, I would have guessed you would of replied with something similar to, "No one knows the truth" but you didn't. Like I said, I only know what I know by word of mouth, a very vague outline of the tale. It's actually not even my sect, I'm a Norse Pagan (Asatru) Heh, we held out for much longer against the Christian influence, I'd say until about the 11th or 12th cent. Heh.

Btw, thanks for the indepth background of the story.
                              Regards,
                              Helmut von Skibjack

Comment

No problem. We'd better get back on topic though.
                                How about a desert island type scenario? You're shipwrecked Robinson Crusoe style and now you have to fend off wild animals and make civilization flourish on the island, and/or develop a means of getting rescued. I also said this in another thread but if it gives anybody ideas they're welcome to it.
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X