• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a unit "a horse"?

right...
    what makes a unit "a horse"?

I bet you all now about the special attribute:
    2x defence versus horse (pikemen)
    and that there are only 7 units that can be defined as "horses"...
    those are: Horsemen, Chariots, Elephants, Crusaders, Knights, Dragoons and Cavalry...

So how the heck do you make other units "horse"?

You might wonder why Im asking you this...
    Well I came up with a nice idea:
    Since everybody likes WWII-scenarios then this "horsing" would be very nice for anti-tanks...
    BUT <--- (notice but)
    But if you, for example, put 7 tanks into these horse-squares and realize that this is not that many tanks that you would like to have... How would you then, make other horse-squares?

thanks in advance

/Spader
    The Romans had a coluseum. Why can't we have a Battle Royale island? They can take my class for starters.

Horse units = 2 movement points, and without alpine flag.
    "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
    "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
    "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Is there no way going around that?
      Is it impossible to make a movement6-unit a horse?

/Spader
      The Romans had a coluseum. Why can't we have a Battle Royale island? They can take my class for starters.

Comment

Since everybody likes WWII-scenarios

Ahem
        I hope that my interpretation, that this is sarcasm, is correct

And no, there is no way around it. There are ways to trick this, by using multiple rules-files, or other neat tricks I might come up with when asked, but this fact is, if I'm not mistaken, hard-coded, and you can't change it.
        Follow the masses!
        30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Actually horse units are defined as followed:

movement = 2
          firepower = 1
          hit points = 1

Any other combination will deny the defender bonus of your anti-tanks guns..

Comment

I am almost positive that it's just movement == 2 and domain == land. That's the assumption my unit design is based on.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Does anybody actually know?

Comment

If the obsessive dissecting wizards of the Strategy Forum are correct, then Dr. Kellogg is almost right on the money. See Apolyton Great Library: Combat. Having lost a number of arguments against Slowthinker, I wouldn't bet against them.

However, I'm pretty sure that someone (Sodaq, Slowthinker?) learned (in 2002?) that the fp=1 requirement is not true. The mf=2, hp=1 still holds.

The only real way to test is to try 100 trials and compare the results to a calculated probability.

Edit: I asked this question on the Strategy Forum. See http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=83455
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Hmmm ....
                  I'm sure I remember Henrik (?) stating that FP>1 annuls the 'x2 vs horse' flag.
                  If HP>1 works the same way then it wouldn't work against std cav/dragoons either.

Lastly, I guess, does the popup "always" appear when conditions trigger the effect?

Comment

Has anybody tested this for ships yet? If it also applies for ships, what if their movement rate is increased by NP or the concerning Wow's?
                    What about a 2-movement ship with one HP and one FP attacking a Pikeman?
                    Follow the masses!

Comment

What about unit role? I thought it had to be an "attacker" [0] as well.
                      "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
                      -OOTS

Comment

Originally posted by spader
                        Is there no way going around that?
                        Is it impossible to make a movement6-unit a horse?

/Spader
                        I've used it in reverse as well like in BFC. i.e. make the pikemen flag = armour by giving infantry a move of two and giving the pikeman flag to all tanks.

That way infantry can be less wimpy. They have higher attack values for killing other stuff, can defend against tank attacks but cannot attack tanks directly.
                        This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

This can't be true... can it?

Comment

So it is not slot specific?

I had pondered on this a while ago.
                            All civ2 expanation texts say that a movement of 2 is required to qualify for a "horse".

Nothing about hitpoints or firepower. Dragoons have two HPs anyway.

But what if a unit in the "horse" slots does not fill in the mov2 requirment?
                            "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                            Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

I don't think there is a "horse slot", it's very likely to be independent from that.
                              Follow the masses!

Comment

Working...
                              X