Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Describe" file; Who looks at it?

Does anyone?

I don't. If a good number of people did, I would consider rewriting and placing a "describe" file in updated versions of my scenarios.

Just a thought.
    Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

What does it do, exactly?
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's the file that contains the text that's displayed when you click on "describe" in the civilopedia.

And I do look at it if it's avaliable. If used well, it can give a scenario a great deal more depth.
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Besides the regular descriptions, you can put an unlimited number of items you want in the Civpedia/Game Concepts menu, typically things like tables you want players to reference occasionally when the game is on.

Have a look at T.R.O.N. to see some examples.
        This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Having one present also means that the pedia will display if a wonder is obsoleted when viewing the info for a tech in the civilopedia.
          As I recall adding a complete describe also means that the other stuff MGE usually wont display, but which are present in the pedia.txt, like "First to invent this tech get a free tech" and similar, also show up when viewing tech info.
          No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I will have to use it, from now on!
            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

It gives scenarios a more professional and finished look. I hope more scenario designers will use it. Keep up the good work guys.

Comment

I use it primarily in my fictional scenarios in which I usually give a brief history of the wonders or outlines of the alternate government systems. I have seen it used very nicely non-fiction scenarios though. I recommend it.

Comment

I used it in Red October, but not in Roman Civil War. In RO, I also used the 'game concepts' portion of the file as well to add a little more chrome. It's now a CHEKA dossier on all of the major characters of the Russian Civil war. I used the 'about test of time' section for rolling credits and a bibliography.
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Is this for MGE/ToT only, or have I been missing out on a miraculous atmosphere-development tool?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Please do. It makes the scenario look much nicer, to have some background & such.
                      In Red Front, the background info is in the place where you would normally see only "Counts as a granary in every city", etc. Sometimes this is so long you can't tell what the improvement does!
                      April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
                      Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

I'm using it now to explain tricky parts of a Leo upgrade scheme.

I used the 'about test of time' section for rolling credits and a bibliography.
                        At least one person read it! I liked the credit to Possidente.
                        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Is it possible to give unit descriptions in MGE too? I thought it was only possible in ToT (I could be wrong, though).
                          "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
                          -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
                          "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
                          "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

You can have unit descriptions in MGE.

All things that have descriptions in the normal game can have them in the scenario.
                            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Working...
                            X