Civ3 scenarios :rolleyes:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 scenarios :rolleyes:

I was glancing through the civ3 files forum tonight, and I found it amazing that only 3 scenarios have been released for civ3!

None of the scenarios (based upon their descriptions) come even close to an average civ2 scenario. There is one scenario where you start with 10 cities and a bunch of units, but it has no real historical or fantasy or any other real plot behind it. The other two are generously called scenarios, i would call them mods, myself.

My question is, have any of you tried making a civ3 scenario? Is it really that much harder to make a scenario than in civ2? Did they ever add an events handling?

Scenarios are what keep me playing civ2, and with civ3 having such poor choices in scenarios, I've been able to fully repress any desire to reinstall civ3. Thank god I won't be wasting my money on Play the World

There are no events handling in Civ 3, the units on a whole are harder to make because they are 3D and there is no way to set diplomacy from the start.

Hopefully, they'll eventually get it right.

Pap

Comment

Hopefully, they'll eventually get it right.

Pap
      I'm not looking forward to it. that would mean the end of civ2 world.
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson

I'm not looking forward to it. that would mean the end of civ2 world.
        wouldn't it mean that we would then have a powerful editor in a more recent game? If thye finally get it right, then there is no real reason to continue civ2, besides nostalgia anyways

Comment

once they get it right I think most of us will play civ3/make scenarios for it. But for now, its crap in its current state. Hm, where did i put that game anyway? Anyways, lets continue making scenarios and playing civ2. ok!
          Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

Hmmmmm.

Several things pop into my mind after reading this thread;

1.) Fircrapsis. When has this company ever been able to get anything right? Nuff said.

2.) What H Tower said--It would mean a better game . . . IF they got it right. See # 1 above; fat chance.

3.) I'm not sure that anyone is going to be able to replace Civ2 in its scenario-making function anytime soon. Creating FW and MGE was a stroke of genius (courtesy of Microprose), and those come along only so often.

My ultimate sentiment is; let the marketplace perform its function. If a truly better game than Civ2 comes along, I'll go with that and won't look back. I've been waiting now for several years for a better game to come along, however, and I don't see one on the horizon yet.
            Lost in America.
            "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
            "or a very good liar." --Stefu
            "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

It certainly seems like PTW has been a disarster for the company - I wonder if they bothered testing it?
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Well, I admit I like the game, and to some extent also the editor *runs*

Of course, the lack of something like events language is a huge disadvantage, I just hope Firaxis can add this still with another patch (or another expansion). If not, all you can make is nice modpacks, but not scns.

One thing that is just horrible with Civ3 is the amount of work when you plan to reach a similar level of customized stuff compared to good Civ2 scenarios. I´m working on an big Civ3 X-COM mod for months now, and still there is no end in sight...
                Blah

Comment

just a mod BeBro? no map or placed cities or units?

Comment

Hey everyone,

I have been playing Civ III since it came out, and since this time I have been trying desperatly to create a WWII scenario. As mentioned before everything is harder to do because of hoe graphic intensive things are and because of restricted code. It is possible to make a scenario, but the amount of work to do so makes it almost not worth it.

To state things simply, after a year of trying to make a successful WWII scenario I finally quit in disgust and found everthing I could ever have wanted in the Civ II community. You should have seen the amount of dust on my Civ II disc
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                      Well, ok, I never understood the basic difference between mod and scn, it seems there are a billion of different definitions...

It´ll have an own map ("own" means not created by myself ), preplaced cities, and the usual stuff (10 -12 civs, customized techs, units, civilopedia etc., a lot of new gfx). I just hesitate to call it scenario, because the lack of events, diplo control, civ-specific tech trees - all these things are currently impossible in Civ3. OTOH some things are pretty easy to realize, eg. civ-specific units, which are of course needed to have special units only for xcom or the aliens.
                      Blah

Comment

BTW, Spanish Pride and Seeds of Greatness are usually considered mods rather than scenarios.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Re: Hmmmmm.

Originally posted by Exile
                          1.) Fircrapsis. When has this company ever been able to get anything right? Nuff said.
                          I'd argue that point (none of the others though ) with Smac/X I think. Unit workshops, Social engineering and the multitude of possibilities that just aren't available even with Civ2. The lack of any form of event scripting or modability does let it down though.
                          I just can't figure out how they managed to fall so far with Civ3.

I've been waiting now for several years for a better game to come along, however, and I don't see one on the horizon yet.
                          Seen HoI yet? Its out in certain places (Not over here yet though). AI doesn't look to good at the moment and the gameplay is still being tweaked but it shows a lot of promise for WW2 fans. Paradox has become known for their efforts in the patching field so many of its problems should be fixed in short order.

Of course, the lack of something like events language is a huge disadvantage, I just hope Firaxis can add this still with another patch (or another expansion). If not, all you can make is nice modpacks, but not scns.
                          I have a bad feeling that this just isn't going to happen. There was a quote (real or attributed - I'm not sure which) from one of the devs that, well, to put it mildly, made light of the value of such a tool and modders abilities to use it. AFAIK this wasn't refuted so I greatly doubt we'll see one in the near future...

Comment

Re: Re: Hmmmmm.

Originally posted by ravagon
                            I just can't figure out how they managed to fall so far with Civ3.
                            SMAC wasn't a franchise game, so they had to produce a first class product in order to shift units. With Civ, all they needed to do was put out a box bearing the magic words "Sid Mier's Civilisation X'
                            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower

wouldn't it mean that we would then have a powerful editor in a more recent game? If thye finally get it right, then there is no real reason to continue civ2, besides nostalgia anyways
                              Once again; the reason is that the best scenarios were made for civ2. Abandoning civ2 is like demolishing Eiffel tower to build a new, "better", one.
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                              X