Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest most detailed scenario in the history of scenarios...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest most detailed scenario in the history of scenarios...

Alright, last time I made an outrageous comment about having the largest and most detailed World map ever, and it flew back in my face.

I am at it again, I have realized that I suck so much in civilization my true calling for the game is:
    1) Playing a very effective "variable" in MP games.
    2) Creation...

Therefore, I have begun work on the Thirty Year War (1618-1648) scenario. It has been done before, but not as much as other historic scenarios, and the ones that have been done (with all due respect to the creator(s)) have done the era/war no justice whatsoever.

Thus, in this scenario I am implementing a few unique and innovative effects/ideas and pretty much creating a realistic environment.

If you are unfamiliar with the Thirty Year War, it was almost the first ever pan-European war, and very well could have been if not for the Autonomy of small Adriatic states. The war was over all sorts of things, Religion, Power, Familial ties, Money, Imperialistic ambition, and other things. And was fought from the coast of Africa, to the barren arctics of Finland. The war has within it Revolutions, All mighty Juggernauts losing their power, and more.

So its a really good chance to create a large scale scenario, I have "original" graphics in this scenario (I use the term loosley, but original none the less) as well as a few features:

1) Colonial powers (Britain, France, Spain etc...) recieve random gold from "colonial exploits"

2) Rebels of all ethnicities (Greeks, Huguenots, Irish, Scots, Swiss, Portugese, Israelis) pop up randomly, and in powerful numbers, so defending even the safest of territories becomes an issue.

3) A privateer and Pirate unit with special abilities and unique formats.

So whatever, anyway its an awesome scenario, and I am probably about 25% finished with it. If anyone would like to test drive this bad boy at any time go ahead and talk to me, NKREEFER@aol.com

------------------
    "We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

-Winston Churchill

One Love.
    "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

I'll be interested in playtesting the scen when it's in a detail-tweaking state for you. I tried out jgFiera's Atahualpa scen as a tester and I enjoyed it!

Probably best if you send it to the email address in my profile. It's not mine, but the owner is understanding and besides I'll punch him if he complains.

PS Isn't a Capo a female guard in a Nazi concentration camp for women?
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I would like to test the scenario, too! The description sounds very, very nice! If I may test it for you, please post a massage!
      Thanks!

Alinestra, I think the word for the Guard in the concentration-camps is Kapo. Kapos where not only women, but guards recruted out of the mass of the prisoners. But thats a sad part of history!
      [This message has been edited by Pol Pot (edited October 13, 2000).]
      Alles ist möglich! Nichts wird uns aufhalten!
      Solidarität mit Island!

Join the Þ ß ð ä ö ü õ - Front!

Comment

You can take my units from The Golden Age of the Republic (download it at the CSC). There are also some fun icons there for city walls, for instance, and -of which I am quite proud- nice city graphics based on a contemporary map together with the terrain.

Also, you might like units from Alex' scenarios (Hispaniola) and Jesús' scenarios.

It sounds like it's gonna be a nice scenario, and judging your excellend World Map, I am sure it will be good.

Comment

I'd like to playtest it.
          DaiVietVu@netscape.net

Comment

quote:

Also, you might like units from Alex' scenarios (Hispaniola) and Jesús' scenarios.

I also have very accurate units which you may like. Send me a PM or e-mail if interested, and check my page to take a look at my work... I really think your scn may be a very interesting one...

quote:

I tried out jgFiera's Atahualpa scen as a tester and I enjoyed it!

Thanks, AC, that's very nice to hear!
            "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
            - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Capo is mafia slang for Captain, or boss. Capo De Tutti Capi means the boss of the bosses. So that's what is it means.

As for you guys saying you can use this, and you can use that. Great.

Send all your ideas/graphics/whatever to NKreefer@aol.com, I will try to integrate it into the scenario.
              "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

It's probably in MGE, but is there any chance you could make it in FW as well?
                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Not to detract from your scenario, but Jesus Munoz Fernandez did a fairly well-crafted scenario on the subject...you might want to check it out to see what you would do differently.

That said, I would love to playtest your scenario at whatever stages. I was fortunate to be in Niedersaschen, Germany (as an exchange student in the town of Meppen), during the festivities for the 350th anniversary of the Peace of Westphalia, and this war intrigues me.

-KhanMan
                  khanmaned@hotmail.com
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Is that a scroll in your toga?"
                  -Socrates, "Phaedrus" dialoge, 228e
                  Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
                  -KhanMan

Comment

Alright, as I said before, I have playtested Jesus' scenario, and while I think it is pretty good it is rather unaccurate and without depth. No offense to him, i know how painstaking it is to create your own units and things like that.

When we say that original graphics look "good" for civ scenarios, we mean that they are okay compared to Civ's normal graphics, what I have done looks like they are professionally crafted units.

Another thing that Jesus didn't put in his scenario, which is something I am going to integrate into mine is historic accuracy. Tilly and Wallenstein are two special units that the Hapsburgs have in this scenario, their death results in an automatic loss of Decisive Victory, the same applies to Conde and Richelirue (SP?) of the French, despite that fact that the Cardinal cannot move out of Paris, and thus Paris must be taken for the Cardinal to be destroyed and if that were to happen you probably arent winning anyway. All of the other nations have special units, but only the Hapsburgs and French are able to lose a victory based upon the deaths of their military leadership.

Every other civ has special units except for the Polish and British, they have no special units at all, but like I said this may or may not change. The special units of other civs were put into place for historic accuracy, although the German Principalities only have generic "German Prince" special units assigned to each city (with the exception of White Mountain, which did not have its own seperate prince), the death of these Princes may not be as bad to Germany, for when they are destroyed by the Catholic marauders, the Germans recieve free NONE Provo soldiers. Who wouldn't rally to get revenge for his fallen Prince?

I don't want anyone to think that I am bashing Jesus here, his work is very good, I mean the guy redrew almost everything in his scenario, and did the Pirate ship, civ color hiding thing, which I copied in my game.

Another aspect of the game is that there will be historical outisde effects, such as Britain and Spain will receive lots of cash from colonial exploits, France will recieve them as well but to a lesser extent.

I did use some of Jesus' wonders, the other's were not used for one of two reasons. Either I deemed them unworthy to be considered wonders, or they were not created yet for this time period.

I did use Jesus' map.

I added more naval units, more artillery units, and that's basically it after that.

Some historic incidents (such as Wallenstein's assasination) will occur, but this assasination will NOT effect the Hapsburg/Spanish victory condition.

The testable "beta" version will probably be posted here on Saturday. But I am not sure, my progress thus far has all of the cities (Including the "barbarian" Turks. I am, by the way, very angry that I had to make the Turks barbarians, they were probably stronger than most of the nations in the scenario anyway, and were really taking it to the Hapsburgs). With the beta version up, I will place a preview of the game, and showing what the goals (historically) of each civ were. The seven civs are:

Hapsburgs (Spain, Italy, Austria, Belgium, assorted German cities)
                    French
                    British
                    Protestant States (Most of Germany, Prussia, the Netherlands)
                    Polish
                    Swedes
                    Danes
                    Turks (unplayable Barbarians)

The Hapsburgs are the strongest, and either Protestants or Danes will be weakest, I am not sure yet.

All suggestions are welcomed.

------------------
                    "We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

-Winston Churchill

One Love.

One Love.

Comment

Will you be using Batch files, like Nemo has done in "Second Front"? They are a great way to add new units to your scenario. It also allows you to dramatically increase the number of events in your scenario. Or, do what I did in "Seeds of Greatness", and come up with a separate event file for each of your playable civs. That's a neat way to ensure that the experience of the Swedes is dramaticaly different from that of the French (for example). Of course....it IS a lot of work!
                      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

I have already done a lot, but I am still not close to being finished, I intend on lots of events and everything, and if there is a way for events for each civ, than tell me man, because that would be awesome.

------------------

-Winston Churchill

"Ceterum censo Carthaginem esse delendam"
                        "Also I think that Carthage must be destroyed"

-Cato the Elder, Roman Statesmen

One Love.

One Love.

Comment

Hmmm...this might not be the way K does it, but wouldn't making a seperate scenario for each civ, in a different folder, with a different events.txt in each folder work? You could vary the scenario for each civ to whatever degree you want, by adjusting the rules.txt and events.txt in that civ's scenario folder.

I think that's how Lord of the Rings was done (with the Gondor Scenario, and the Nazgul one...), and I believe the upcoming WW2 scenario uses a similar method.

Just a suggestion...

I'm looking forward to seeing this

-KhanMan
                          -KhanMan

Comment

That's an awesome idea, because how I have it now some of the texts accomapnying events favor one tribe.

Example: "The heathen Protestants have captured Rome! Desperate Catholic peasants take arms against the German Principalities, Pope Pious XV issues a crusade against the Protestant dogs!"

That is not an actual text accompanying an event, but they are ethnocentric like that, so sometimes you will get text that is pro-French, and other times pro-Swedish, and so on and so forth.

So maybe seperate scenarios is a good idea.

Also I have playtested some of it so far (it is definantly not ready for public playtesting though) the the Ottoman Turks (uplayable barbs) are definantly the most intelligent barbs I have ever encountered, and their cities are nearly unpenitrable, as in real life.

I have made the randomization of Irish rebels near perfect, the Brits are gonna have their hands full on the emerald isle! >

The only problem I am still having is the problem with tech, I have made the units with special techs and stuff, thus the Hapsburgs will trade "Catholicism" to the Swedes for "Sweden" and this totally screws everything up, so I have to figure out a way to negate this problem.

------------------

-Winston Churchill

"Ceterum censo Carthaginem esse delendam"
                            "Also I think that Carthage must be destroyed"

-Cato the Elder, Roman Statesmen

One Love.

One Love.

Comment

Capo-As far as techs go, I'm fairly sure you can set the prerequisites for a tech to "no, no", after it is given, and this will stop trading in that tech. If not, then my friends in scenario designing know the right way...there IS a way, I'm sure...

-KhanMan
                              -KhanMan

Comment

Working...
                              X