Looking for new OCC scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new OCC scenarios

A (unofficial) call to all the imaginative scenario-creators here. In the current holiday season for our regular OCC scenarists, some new contributions would be mighty appreciated for the Fortnight comparison games.

Suggestions would be welcome as well.

The reference site for the rules and extant comparison game scenarios are at Paul's site .

Markus,

Use tonic's link above to visit Paul's site.

Comment

OOC???
      Can you explain what that is?

------------------
      "Am Anfang war das Wort" - J.W. Goethe, "Faust"

"So they've learned from me" - Napoleon
      Bonaparte, during the Battle of Leipzig
      War doesn't prove who is right, only who is left.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by tonic on 11-04-2000 08:39 PM
        A (unofficial) call to all the imaginative scenario-creators here. In the current holiday season for our regular OCC scenarists, some new contributions would be mighty appreciated for the Fortnight comparison games.
        Suggestions would be welcome as well.
        Paul's site .

Pardon my maybe stupid question, but what do you mean by scenarios. Does an intersting starting location is enough (I can provide some gigamaps with this conditions) or do you want real scenarions with a solid event.txt ?

------------------
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
        Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-17-2000 07:04 AM
          Pardon my maybe stupid question, but what do you mean by scenarios. Does an intersting starting location is enough (I can provide some gigamaps with this conditions) or do you want real scenarions with a solid event.txt ?

A good starting position is more than half the criterion and it just takes some minor decisions about what pre-existing advances and units you give to make the game just challenging and interesting enough. The default level is Deity, 7 civs and raging hordes. Of course some of the extant scenarios have involved the tampering of event.txt (eg to restrict government types or to use Barbs in tandem with your civ), but this is an added consideration.

A gigamap would sound challenging - what do you estimate the length of the game to be like?

Comment

JB: as post script, would the gigamap not require MGE? If so you'd lose those who only have 2.42

Comment

Now that I've learnt the basics of scenario making, could I repeat the call this time for ideas.

Interesting twists have been the use of Barbs in tandem with your civ, the limitation of the final government to fundamentalism (ie democracy excluded), the starting terrain which excludes contact with AI civs (and exclusion of the Marco Polo Wonder), the one square island starting terrain which requires a decision about the mode of ocean exploration...

The details are available from Paul's site (cited in opening post) and in the Civ2-Strategy forum under the individual OCC logs.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by tonic on 11-20-2000 05:41 PM
                JB: as post script, would the gigamap not require MGE? If so you'd lose those who only have 2.42

Yes, the gigamap requires MGE or ToT. But it could be nice to play an OCC with so much possibilities for the AI. I’ll see if I can propose something intersting by the end of december. My first idea : you play as the Japanese in my soon to be finished maxiworld map (143x229).

------------------

Comment

1.A Commie only game.Might not be too tough but it would be different.

2.Destroying wonders.Maybe Shake's.Maybe Cope's.Maybe several.

3."headstarts" for the AI

4.No specials

5.Combination of the above
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I already gave Paul a scenario for OCC 21. I hacked game.txt to create a start with the Apolytoners as the only civilization on the planet. I also eliminated all barbs and goody huts and revealed the important parts of the map (a barb city to trade with), so there are no random elements. The arrival time should be a test of pure skill.

Comment

It seems from both Smash's and RB's input that the trend is towards tougher scenarios perhaps in response to the overall improvement of technique and maybe also to further challenge the likes of Rib.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Richard Bruns on 11-27-2000 11:00 PM
                        I already gave Paul a scenario for OCC 21. I hacked game.txt to create a start with the Apolytoners as the only civilization on the planet. I also eliminated all barbs and goody huts and revealed the important parts of the map (a barb city to trade with), so there are no random elements. The arrival time should be a test of pure skill.

It looks very good, indeed. I'm looking forward to try it.

------------------

Comment

I'm also looking forward to play it. OCC scenarios have always been my favourites

Comment

Working...
                          X