Red Storm Rising - The Book - The Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Storm Rising - The Book - The Scenario

AFAIK, Paul Hanson's Red Storm Rising scenario is not based on the book (Right?) Now that I have free time, I was thinking of making one that was based on it.

For those of you that haven't read it, here is a brief summary of Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy:

Muslim terrorists blow up the USSR's largest oil refinery; the USSR is facing fuel shortages imminently. They want, therefore, to invade the Gulf, but they are afraid that the USA and NATO will stop them. They then decide, therefore, to destroy NATO as a political and military force by invading West Germany. The book is focused on the Soviets trying to close the Atlantic (both by using submarines and by invading Iceland) and, of course, trying to conquer Germany.

Would anyone be interested in such a scenario? It would include both the naval and the land portions, and probably try to be very faithful to the book. Would it be more interesting NATO-playable or Soviet-playable or both?

I'd also need people to help out with units if there was interest, because I am a crappy designer of anything modern or mechanical. The units are late-70s-early-80s, plus some older Soviet units (i.e. reservists) and some fictional units, plus specials.
    I refute it thus!
    "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

This book would make a great scenario IMO

Someone's made a simple (and not very good) scenario by the same name, which I did a major upgrade to last year on CFC (search for 'Tom Clancy Scenarios' on the scenario creation board). I'll post it here when I get home.
    Don't get too excited though - the scenario's still not very good

BTW if you post (or PM me) your email I'll send you a heap of suitable units
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I couldn't find the upgraded Red Storm Rising scenario on Poly, but I would love the units. Thanks a lot.
      I refute it thus!

Comment

i have the "upgraded copy, like case said, the original scenario wasn't really worth playing unless you have a good imagination and he all he really did was a quick edit to it. attached here anyways though
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd be interested! That book was great, but not as good as Shannara.
          Re-elect Bush!

Comment

Thanks a lot H tower! It looks like I will use a lot of those units but the scenario itself is going bye bye.....

My big question is how faithful to the book should it be? I.e. should I have no soviet surface navy since it didn't really come into play? Should it be impossible (somehow) for Backfires to attack land-based targets?
            I refute it thus!

Comment

Thanks Tower

Goingonit, most of the units I used came from a big compelation that Jimmywax posted on the first few pages of the 'Graphics Showcase' thread.
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

IIRC, wasn't there some naval battles with Russian Submarines in that book?

I think you should still have the navy in there, and make it faithful to the book where the attacks go, but give the human player the ability to play as the Soviets, and choose what to do. Also, to simulate the fuel problem, have them in trouble until they can take over somewhere with enough fuel, wasn't that why they invaded Iceland?

Also, has anyone read Couldron by Larry Bond?
                I think that would make a great scenario also, and I may have a go at it when I get my WW2 one done.

Pap

Comment

They invaded Iceland to break the SOSUS line so their subs could get into the Atlantic unopposed.

Comment

That book was great, but not as good as Shannara.

/me mumbles something about total crap
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

never heard of shannara

Comment

Yes, there were Russian sub battles, and I will try to portray these in the scenario. However, the map doesn't cover the US, so the convoys will go from the map edge to port. Here is what I have so far:

-Map: the map is based on Harlan Thompson's European map, and goes from Iceland to Trieste (Bordeaux to Kaliningrad), and includes southern Sweden and Norway, all of the UK, all of Germany, most of Poland, and northen France. I don't know what size it will be; I originally had a gigamap, but I would have run into unit limits and the 42-move limit.

Terrain will be standard civ2, plus coniferous forest (Taiga from Red Front) and Urban (see below).

-Timescale: 1 day per turn, probably to a maximum of 60 days.

-Game mechanics: the player will play NATO, the other civs will be Soviet, Swiss and Swedish. The last 2 will be neutrals, and have indestructables guarding their cities. The Swiss will also control some "mountain barrier" units to block Alpine movement.

I am thinking of using branching event files. I.e. there will be an event where the Soviets take Hannover, say, and the player is asked to load file 2a. If NATO repels them previously, however, and takes Stendal, they may be asked to load file 2b. This would provide a very flexible format for events, and would be very useful in providing a progress-oriented rather than a turn-oriented game structure.

Technology will play no part in the game due to the short time span.
                        I refute it thus!

Comment

Here is the "urban" terrain.
                          Attached Files
                          I refute it thus!

Comment

Oops, you could hardly see that. with a pink background for better visibility:
                            Attached Files
                            I refute it thus!

Comment

Nice - but add a fifth civ ( Canadians? Arabs? ).. just to spice up the game.

PS got that book, it'as really cool...
                              "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                              "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
                              "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Working...
                              X