Civ 3 expansion pack will include scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 3 expansion pack will include scenarios

For those of you who missed the Apolyton news, here's the Gamespot article in full:

Infogrames' expansion pack for Sid Meier's latest turn-based strategy game will include new civilizations, scenarios, and features.

Infogrames has revealed Civilization III: Play the World, its upcoming expansion pack for Civilization III, Sid Meier's latest turn-based strategy game. The expansion, which will be shown at the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles later this month, will include eight new civilizations and leaders, along with a number of new single- and multiplayer scenarios and features. In addition, it will include a new "turnless" online mode and other improvements.

Civilization III was released in October, and it is the latest installment in the popular Civilization strategy game series, which has sold more than 4 million games since its debut in 1991. Civilization III features a number of new features and improvements on the previous games, including better graphics, 3D animation, enhanced combat and diplomacy options, and additional paths to victory. GameSpot named Civilization III the best single-player strategy game of 2001.
    (taken from http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...863506,00.html)

I really hope that the unspecified 'features' include scenario editing tools.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Re: Civ 3 expansion pack will include scenarios

Originally posted by Case

I really hope that the unspecified 'features' include scenario editing tools.
    I did notice that there was no referral to it in the "release" though. I guess Firaxis couldn't make any either without them but I still find no reference to it ... disturbing.

The real question is who's going to be the one to get a hold of the thing and find out? I'm guessing some of our US/Canadian scenario "allies" were probably a little put out at finding a lack of tools in the initial release.

*Waiting patiently for an update on the much-anticipated "horses and grapes" scenario*

Comment

Honestly I have given up on Civ III. I bought the LE on the very first day of availability in ther US (even skipped a bunch of college classes to do so) and have been nothing but dissapointed from the get-go.

I haven't had the actual game on my HD simce about a week after the very first patch (which they screwed up), and have been barely following the news.

Even if CivIII had all its kinks worked out, I still dont care for the platform anymore. From what I can gather, take the time it takes you to make a CivII scen and basically multiply it by 7 or so. The game itself, the way it is made, doesnt appear to be very user friendly.

I definately will not be purchasing any more CivIII expansion packs or bonis CD's or whatever (for fear of getting another CD full of Sid playing the piano) and I kind of get a kick out of all the headlines i see over at the CivIII forums... "CIV 3 PATCH RELEASE!!!!" then... a few days later "CIV 3 MASSIVE PATCH PROBLEMS!" asnd then a few threads "Unit X,Y,Z Don't Work" type threads and all.

I just dont care for the game as a whole. Colours, vibe, feel and general mood are all way off imho. CivII still satisfies all my needs in this genre for me, probably will for quite some time.

-FMK.
      Attached Files

Comment

ditto.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Strange . . .

In a way, this kind of news delights me.

Why?

Because I predicted, well in advance, that firaxis, the confidence-game-that-walks-like-a-game-company, would screw it up beyond recognition.

Haven't bought it. Haven't thought about buying it.

I sure do miss microprose.

"I tried to warn you" --Tim, the enchanter.
          Lost in America.
          "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
          "or a very good liar." --Stefu
          "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

My guess is that the scenarios will be of the WWII and Rome varieties included in the original Civ II.
            "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
            --

Comment

Someohow I doubt that will be Ist class scenarios. And yes, the topic probably won't be anything new.
              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
              Middle East!

Comment

but it´s an improve,

just the first step, in mge there were bestonet but it will be impossible that it happens with the new version
                Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
                Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
                miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

I've got a nasty feeling that Firaxis's definition of a scenario is simply a map with pre positioned cities/settlers...

FMK: what was the deal with the CD of Sid Meir playing the piano?
                  'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                  - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I've got a nasty feeling that Firaxis's definition of a scenario is simply a map with pre positioned cities/settlers...
                    Well, maybe they'll put the UK back where it belongs this time.
                    Another point. There doesn't seem to have been anything said about events. I'd have thought that worthy of a couple of words in that press release...

Because I predicted, well in advance, that firaxis, the confidence-game-that-walks-like-a-game-company, would screw it up beyond recognition.
                    I think thats a little harsh. I found SMAC/X pretty enjoyable once one got over the fact that it wasn't easily modded.

Comment

FMK: what was the deal with the CD of Sid Meir playing the piano?
                      Why, that would be my Limited Edition 'Making of Civ3' bonus video CD. It is basically a CD of the Firaxis dudes, including Sid(complete with Sid's wife and son) stroking the Civ & Sid legacy, talking about how great the other games were, and just how hard they worked to make this even better.

It is basically an 8 minute promotional vid clip. It has a touch of comedy in it, but it simply isnt something I really wanted, at all. Not to mention the "Designer's notes" we were to be given in the LE. That turned out to be a 1 page 'thank-you' letter printed on fancy paper. Somewhere on the CivIII forums IU actually transcribed the letter, it took all of 4 minutes to type out.

And then of course there is the 'tech tree napkin', which is a far far cry from anything resembling a 'poster'... on and on and on....

-FMK.

Comment

Errrr, you mean like Alpha Centauri scenarios??
                        "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
                        --

Comment

Ravagon . . .

You may think my broadsides at firaxis harsh, but (and I will never tire of repeating this) NOT A SINGLE PRODUCT that I have ever purchased with their name on it HAS FUNCTIONED CORRECTLY! NOT ONE!

And I'm not talking about bugs and glitches either. I'm talking about brand new games, right off the store shelves, right out of the box . . . and they don't work. They won't run. They won't install.

It's ridiculous.

And infuriating.

And their website seems to be a barrier erected so that this so-called "company" can deflect angry consumers, rather than address its criminal incompetence in distributing pure 'D' crap.

They've gotten my money several times. I have YET to get a working program from them.

I sure do hope one of their company reps sees this.

(btw, this in not a flame directed at you. It's a "vent" directed at fir-crap-sis.)
                          Lost in America.

Comment

God, I don't know what you are talking about, Exile. I gave up on CivIII because I hate the platform and the lack of true scenarios (which'll continue because I'm absolutely sure that
                            Firaxis's definition of a scenario is simply a map with pre positioned cities/settlers...
                            too), but it never functioned incorrectly, not once. Everything was crisp and fast. You can dis both the game and Firaxis as I do, but I think the game and other Firaxis games only work wrong for a few of us. I suggest you buy a new computer.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

My comp . . .

is a late model, customised hot rod. It works fine with other companies' products.

You got lucky.
                              Lost in America.

Comment

Working...
                              X