error editing units.gif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error editing units.gif

i need some help here. i tried editing units.gif with microsoft paint. but everytime i start civ2, a prog error occurs and it couldn't start at all. even putting one extra dot with paint will casue that to happen. is it that paint is not compatible for editing units.gif?

First of all, if your not using FW or higher you can't use bitmap files. If you put it into gif, I don't know what happened. Second, all of the graphics files have to be in 16 bit, I think.
    Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Your best bet is to buy FW. The editing options you get with this are exceptional. Plus, you can use bitmaps which make editing alot easier.

Comment

ANZAC, Civ2 displays 8-bit graphics (=256 colors), 16-bit is only for Test of Time.
        Blah

Comment

Quite often the problem which causes this is found in the color palette of the GIF file you edited. The file MUST use the Civ2 color palette it was originally created with.

I use a different editor (Photoshop), so I can't give you the specifics on handling the pallete. I believe in Paint Shop Pro (from JASC) you can open up the original file and choose "Save Palette". After making your changes, you can "Load Palette" or some similar command.

Perhaps someone else can provide the specifics. Gee, we should have some sort of repository for solutions to common Civ2 problems like this!

Good luck!

- mindseye
          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Hi neighbor, we do have a repository for info like this. Apolyton hosts a site called The Scenario League and on that site there are detailed instructions on how to do most scenario stuff. I will go get the link... be back soon...
            Be the bid!

Comment

lol - a link to the Scenario League is at the foot of this page. Please feel free to check out the Design Tips section - sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/sldt_sort_group.shtml

Comment

Of course (slapping forehead) - the Scenario League! A wonderful source of design tips! You can find many great documents there including this excellent piece on Civ2 graphics and the color palette:

http://sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/sldt_palette.shtml

- mindseye
                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Working...
                X