The Pacific Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for a kiwi?

The other one should be New Zealand jade, precious ( lot of trade ) and resistant ( a lot of shields ). No food should be added to this resource, IMHO.

A name...
    Maori? Try Kupe, it'as their cultural hero, But i'm not sure...
    Hawaian? Kamehameha the Great, first hawaian unifier. This time I'm sure.
    "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
    "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
    "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Thanks for the link... the only other picture of a kiwi I have is from a coin (20 something?)... I will put your suggestions for ressources into consideration, but I'll hear some 'native' opinions too, to make entirely sure
      I'm not including Hawaii, because this would make things too complex. The final selection of civs is as follows:

Polynesians
      Melanesians
      Micronesians
      Maori
      Papua
      Europeans
      (American) Indians

Leader names are more or less certain... I got some from James Cook's Voyages of Discovery.

Just one further question, I'm sure you are all familiar with Micoproses Jules Verne scenario fromt he FW disk. I'm also sure that at least some are familiar with the multiple scenario files concept from that scenario (I read something about that over at SLeague). My question is, is it possible to do the same with events files?
      Follow the masses!
      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Agree re: Jade special in New Zealand. Kiwi isn't a good idea, though. The moa - a giant flightless bird (see: http://www.pibburns.com/cryptost/moa.htm for images on stamps) - or seals may be better for a food resource, though in both cases the period of high yield hunting was relatively short-lived (if you have the event space, or are changing files anyway, replacing these resources/squares may be an option). The roots of cabbage trees (http://www.vnz.co.nz/photos/flora/110g.shtml) are considered a relevant food source, though this is mainly in the south island.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
          the only other picture of a kiwi I have is from a coin (20 something?)
          20 cents.

I hope that helps

Comment

The moa - from my sister's stamps collection passed on a scanner.

Apologist, and the kumara? Cavolo, i don't know how to put into english "patata dolce"...

It'as widespreaded on both islands, or no? My two cents curiosity...

Ps about events, a good question. IS SLeague site online again, Stefan?
            Attached Files
            "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig

Comment

Forgot this one...

Comment

I don't believe it is possible to have .alt event files in the same way that you can have .alt scenario files. At least not in FW, I believe I read somewhere that you can use alternative events for ToT.
                STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

20 cents.

I hope that helps

Thanks (Beautiful coin BTW)

The moa - from my sister's stamps collection passed on a scanner.

Thanx... your sister does not by chance have a stamp of a quagga?

Cavolo, i don't know how to put into english "patata dolce"...

"Sweet potato" It's the same in Italian, English and German ("Süßkartoffel").

It'as widespreaded on both islands, or no? My two cents curiosity...

Well, it supposedly came from America, so this is taken proof as an early contact between the cultures of America and Oceania. I am putting into consideration to somehow represent this (that's why there will be an "American", i.e. Indian civilization).

IS SLeague site online again, Stefan?

I downloaded the design tips a long time ago

I don't believe it is possible to have .alt event files in the same way that you can have .alt scenario files. At least
                  not in FW, I believe I read somewhere that you can use alternative events for ToT.

Is it then possible to write some sort of batch file that randomly picks out one of the events files?
                  Follow the masses!

Comment

Prometeus, I'd think that the kumara would be factored in to irrigation - it's an imported food source, after all.

Dunno about the American Indians, Stefan. Even the most enthusiastic proponents don't talk about "contact" so much as diffusion - one-way voyagers with a far lesser degree of sophistication than the pacific's sailors. Maybe their influence could be represented by events, if there's another good candidate for the civilisation slot (and you're not too far along, of course)?

Comment

Thanx... your sister does not by chance have a stamp of a quagga?
                      A Google image search on 'Quagga' returns heaps of pictures of a Zebra style animal if that's what you're after
                      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Dunno about the American Indians, Stefan. Even the most enthusiastic proponents don't talk about "contact" so
                        much as diffusion - one-way voyagers with a far lesser degree of sophistication than the pacific's sailors. Maybe
                        their influence could be represented by events, if there's another good candidate for the civilisation slot (and
                        you're not too far along, of course)?

Hmm... perhaps I'll do two European civs...

A Google image search on 'Quagga' returns heaps of pictures of a Zebra style animal if that's what you're after

That's right, but I've never seen any trustworthy picture that can give me an impression of how that animal looked.
                        One of the last known of these died in the Berlin Zoo...
                        Follow the masses!

Comment

Dunno about the American Indians, Stefan...

Hmm... perhaps I'll do two European civs...
                          Haida and Oregon tribes speak a language similar to polinesian, but it's not trusted as a proof of a prehystoric contact. Better use two EuroCivs.

That's right, but I've never seen any trustworthy picture that can give me an impression of how that animal looked.
                          One of the last known of these died in the Berlin Zoo...
                          Try to search for South African Cape Town museum, then... there were a lot of XIX xylographies last time i visited their pages...

Comment

Quick Update

Same map, but new units: A trade canoe (based on a simple sailing boat from Tonga), a pikeman, and something that is supposed to be a Maori.
                            Attached Files
                            Follow the masses!

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X