making alliances ironclad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making alliances ironclad

I have several scenarios that hinge on alliance blocs. I've noticed since getting MGE that allies move immediately from worshipful to uncooperative and pretty soon are declaring war on you. Is there any way to make alliances hold, and, preferably, to maintain high attitudes in order to facilitate tech trading, etc.? Perhaps with the events.txt file? As yet I do not have great facility with the events.txt file.

------------------
    --
    Curumbor Elendil
    jason.sorens@yale.edu
    ICQ 56126989
    Curumbor Elendil
    http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35/
    ICQ 56126989

Jesús Balsinde's Alba de América at spanish.apolyton.net/ is an example of a scenario where two tribes are allied at the start of the game and forbidden to negotiate and therefore cancel the alliance.

In events you use the 'double negotiation' event:

@IF
    NEGOTIATION
    talker=French
    talkertype=HumanOrComputer
    listener=English
    listenertype=HumanOrComputer
    @THEN
    @ENDIF

@IF
    NEGOTIATION
    talker=English
    talkertype=HumanOrComputer
    listener=French
    listenertype=HumanOrComputer
    @THEN
    @ENDIF

…and Cheat > Edit King > Edit Treaties > Alliance, and Cheat > Edit King > Set Attitude to make the initial diplomacy fall into place.

This of course puts your tech trading partly out of reach. You could use a 'received tech' and 'give tech' event to force a trade...

@IF
    RECEIVEDTECHNOLOGY
    technology=0
    receiver=French
    @THEN
    JUSTONCE
    GIVETECHNOLOGY
    receiver=English
    technology=1
    @ENDIF

@IF
    RECEIVEDTECHNOLOGY
    technology=1
    receiver=English
    @THEN
    TEXT
    The French receive Chemical Warfare from the English. The English receive Advanced Interrogation from the French.
    ENDTEXT
    JUSTONCE
    GIVETECHNOLOGY
    receiver=French
    technology=0
    @ENDIF

This is untested however, but should work in theory.

Comment

This works...and another thing you can do to change the alliance is to set up an event that if a certain city is taken, the allies declare war.

I use this in my work-in-progress fantasy scenario, where the evil Menkorians start out allied to two turncoat kingdoms, then break the alliance if a key city on the kingdom's border ever falls...

-KhanMan
      Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
      -KhanMan

Comment

Ah, I hadn't thought of it that way: being able to force simulated tech trading. I'll try it. Unfortunately, all the other subtleties of diplomacy are gone when you have to forbid negotiations...but then diplomacy with the AI never was subtle in the first place!

------------------
        --
        Curumbor Elendil
        jason.sorens@yale.edu
        ICQ 56126989
        Curumbor Elendil
        http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35/
        ICQ 56126989

Comment

Working...
        X